According to the coach, Deli ain't gone

Anything and everything that is UMass Minutemen Basketball.
Chemical Ali
Senior

Post by Chemical Ali » Sat Jun 18, 2005 10:51 am

sae65 wrote:Tony probably meant that the old Deli is gone and the new one coming.
Yeah, probably.

Minutemen4Life
Junior

Post by Minutemen4Life » Sat Jun 18, 2005 11:27 am

sae65 wrote:Perhaps we just misunderstood Tony Montana's message.

Here's what Tony Montana said:
That might be the last Big Deli shirt. Deli is gone, walked out on coach.
clearly it is not about him losing 50 ilbs.
UMass: Where Amazing Happens

zombiewoof
Sophomore

Post by zombiewoof » Sat Jun 18, 2005 4:04 pm

sae65 wrote:...he said that Deli has lost 50 lbs while in a vigorous conditioning program.
Oh my goodness. Best news of the day. Deli at a strong 280 will be a very interesting player to watch.
This aggression will not stand, man

MullinsManiac
Senior

Post by MullinsManiac » Sat Jun 18, 2005 7:58 pm

Minutemen4Life wrote:
sae65 wrote:Perhaps we just misunderstood Tony Montana's message.

Here's what Tony Montana said:
That might be the last Big Deli shirt. Deli is gone, walked out on coach.
clearly it is not about him losing 50 ilbs.
I don't give a shit how they do it, Ford and Deli have to settle this thing once and for all. If all this is true, it does nobody any good to allow this to fester all summer.

If what Ford said is true and it's just a big steaming pile of crap, then we're panicking over nothing.
MullinsManiac is on a drug ... it's called MullinsManiac.

philosopher
Hall of Fame

Post by philosopher » Sat Jun 18, 2005 10:50 pm

If Ford said something, I have no reason to disbelieve him. And, if Jeff has lost 50 lbs (besides knowing where those freaking pounds are -- and how in hell did they get to Texas???), what is there to resolve? Oh, I forgot, Salovski will need a new uni. OK. That's settled, so I can give the computer a rest.

shovelhd
Hall of Fame

Post by shovelhd » Sun Jun 19, 2005 7:53 am

I had heard about a month or so ago that Deli had lost 35lbs., so 50 by now is right in the ballpark.

uz2b-len
Hall of Fame

Post by uz2b-len » Sun Jun 19, 2005 3:16 pm

Well, if the guy has lost 50 pounds, I'd say he has bought into the program.

Roadtrip
Hall of Fame

Post by Roadtrip » Sun Jun 19, 2005 5:11 pm

More than buying into the program. Deli is going to OWN the team. In the games i saw him play he always got back on defense quickly, has soft hands, can rebound, and knows when and how to kick the ball out. All this was at 330lbs. The man comes to play, don't think he's afraid of hard work, and at 280lbs, will be pushing both Lasme and Freeman for minutes. IMHO

nale
Hall of Fame

Post by nale » Mon Jun 20, 2005 7:49 am

MullinsManiac wrote: I don't give a shit how they do it, Ford and Deli have to settle this thing once and for all. If all this is true, it does nobody any good to allow this to fester all summer.
If what Ford said is true and it's just a big steaming pile of crap, then we're panicking over nothing.
I haven't read a post that was so off in a long time MM. Did you read the thead before you posted? :roll:
1: There is nothing to settle nothing is festering.
2: There is no question about the truth
3: No one was panicking.

Seriously MM you don't/can't think anyone here has been 'panicklng' over something the Lappas troll Tony M wrote do you?

And what's with the 'if it is true' crap ? You don't believe Coach Ford? This thread is all about Coach Ford denying and making fun of rumor about Deli. Coach Ford said in answer to the qustion about Deli quiting.
This is an intersting question because I heard that rumor. This is 100 percent false.
There is no question about if it is true unless you believe Ford would lie for no good reason. If Deli quit Ford would have said Deli left the team. Instead Ford has said he is impressed with Deli's work so far.
"This is my dream job''

MullinsManiac
Senior

Post by MullinsManiac » Mon Jun 20, 2005 5:07 pm

As I said ... panicking over nothing.
MullinsManiac is on a drug ... it's called MullinsManiac.

UMassHoops
Senior

Deli Forever!

Post by UMassHoops » Mon Jun 20, 2005 6:28 pm

I said it on a different thread, Deli could become to UMass what Bryant "Big Country" Reeves was to Oklahoma State. I wouldn't be surprised if Deli truly loses the weight and maintains it that he could start the rest of his career at UMass.

Big Country Freshman to Sophmore improvement:
MIN FG% 3P% FT% RPG APG TPG BPG SPG PPG
91-92 Okla St 21.2 52.1 0.0 63.3 5.1 0.7 1.5 0.7 0.2 8.1
92-93 Okla St 32.6 62.1 50.0 65.0 10.0 1.2 2.4 1.3 0.5 19.5

Deli Freshman to Sophomore improvement: ???????

9.5 MinPG .492 FG% .581 FT% 2.3 RPG 2.9 PPG

Double Deli's minutes and his stats weren't far off Big Country as a freshman. It's all about conditioning and staying on the court for Deli but the sky is the limit!

nale
Hall of Fame

Post by nale » Tue Jun 21, 2005 7:41 am

MullinsManiac wrote:As I said ... panicking over nothing.
But you qualified that statement with:
If what Ford said is true.
:)
"This is my dream job''

UMass87
Hall of Fame

Post by UMass87 » Tue Jun 21, 2005 9:36 am

This is getting stupid, Nale. MM was simply alluding to the idea that a coach who is having issues with a player would be monumentally stupid to air those troubles publicly.

If someone asks him specifically about a player for whom there were troubles (this is a hypothetical situation that I am creating here) then he has three choices:

1) Describe the trouble
2) Refuse to answer the question
3) Deny that troube exists

The first response does nothing posititve - it is likely to increase the tension between the player and the coach since it will likely make the player feel publicly humiliated. The second response is only marginally better than the first and maybe worse - it is likely to fuel speculation which is also likely to make the trouble worse. The third response is, simply put, the only response that protects the player's privacy and allows the player and coach to resolve whatever difficulties they are having. you can call it lying if you'd like.

Many people, certainly me, don't believe the public has any particular right to know about the troubles between a coach and a college athlete (assuming the troubles don't involve gross non-academic violations of University rules). It may be fun to speculate but we are unlikely to know what that relatonship between a player and a coach is at any given time.

uz2b-len
Hall of Fame

Post by uz2b-len » Tue Jun 21, 2005 9:40 am

The thing is, Coach Ford didn't just deny that there was a problem. He named Deli as one of the three players who were working hardest. I don't think he needed to do that just to protect the player's privacy. Of course, I am speaking from a wishful place--I want Deli to stick with the team.

UMass87
Hall of Fame

Post by UMass87 » Tue Jun 21, 2005 9:49 am

uz2b-len wrote:The thing is, Coach Ford didn't just deny that there was a problem. He named Deli as one of the three players who were working hardest. I don't think he needed to do that just to protect the player's privacy. Of course, I am speaking from a wishful place--I want Deli to stick with the team.
I agree with both of your points.