Nonprofit corporation to run the athletic program?

Anything and everything that is UMass Minutemen Basketball.
InnervisionsUMASS
Hall of Fame

Post by InnervisionsUMASS » Wed Jun 25, 2003 8:58 pm

VoxPop wrote:I'll take the National Championship team with Marcel, Bankhead & Co. as the best UMass has ever had, but I never saw those guys, and this season's team could be one of the best ever. In any event I will pledge my full support to Meers. Its nice to see the football alumni taking a lead in this, I'd like to see some basketball alumni join in. We need all the support and unity we can muster to see the University through this difficult time.

where's camby when ya need him :P :P

class of 62-64
Freshman

Post by class of 62-64 » Thu Jun 26, 2003 12:46 am

The memory gets fuzzy as the years go on. But, I believe Wayland's own Jerry Welchel was the QB during most, if not all of the Meers/Morin years. Welchel was arguably the best UMass QB ever until Landry came along.

SignMan
Hall of Fame

Post by SignMan » Thu Jun 26, 2003 6:54 am

class of 62-64 wrote:The memory gets fuzzy as the years go on. But, I believe Wayland's own Jerry Welchel was the QB during most, if not all of the Meers/Morin years. Welchel was arguably the best UMass QB ever until Landry came along.
Whelchel, pre-me, '64
Morin and Meers, '65
Landry, '67

'65...Morin, Meers and Landry

Minutemanfan
Junior

Post by Minutemanfan » Thu Jun 26, 2003 7:16 am

InnervisionsUMASS wrote: where's camby when ya need him :P :P

Denver...or is he on his way to Portland...either way, wherever he is it's not Amherst, that's for sure.

There are many basketball alums whose contribution would be welcomed...from Al Skinner and Rick Pitino to Harper Williams and others from the Calipari era.

Baseball alums too...Mike Flannigan, Gary DiSarcina Ron Villone et al...
“We’re going to play hard for 40 minutes, get up in you, and play UMass basketball.” -- Jesse Morgan

Old Cage
Hall of Fame

Post by Old Cage » Thu Jun 26, 2003 7:43 am

$$$ from the sports alums is always nice, but it is their name, time, and committment that are needed.

Here is an AP story with quotes from Meers:

http://www.zwire.com/site/news.cfm?news ... 9784&rfi=6

Low Post

Post by Low Post » Thu Jun 26, 2003 8:07 am

Sign man . . . are you sure Landry wasn't in the class of '68? :?:

Old Cage
Hall of Fame

Post by Old Cage » Thu Jun 26, 2003 8:58 am

LP: Football senior playing in 67 = class of 68

Quinn
Junior

Post by Quinn » Thu Jun 26, 2003 9:24 am

Mass Grad wrote: Does this Corp own rights to Gator Ade? If so they sure have a head start on us.
Minuteman Juice just doesn't have the same marketing appeal.

Rocks22
Hall of Fame

Post by Rocks22 » Thu Jun 26, 2003 9:32 am

Let's sue Minutemaid. (maybe our friends at SueConn can recommend a good lawyer)

seattlemike
Freshman

The Fall 72 Umass Football team was not to shabby either

Post by seattlemike » Thu Jun 26, 2003 1:41 pm

Steve Schubert and Tim Berra were stars on this team that clobbered BC the fall of 1972. Peil Pennington was an excellent quarterback. I think this team also ranks up there as one of the best ever
Please don't dominate the rap jack, if you have nothing new to say!

SignMan
Hall of Fame

Post by SignMan » Thu Jun 26, 2003 2:43 pm

Low Post wrote:Sign man . . . are you sure Landry wasn't in the class of '68? :?:
I messed up by looking at seasons they won letters...so for example, a '69 grad would have last lettered in '68...and assumed the last letter year was their graduation year.

per the alumni association website online directory (must be an assn. member to access the directory)..

there is an R. Whelchel '64
Meers '66
Morin '67
Landry '68

should have realized Landry, because the only game my h.s. team lost over a five year period, Fall '61-65 was to Landry...in '63...so he must have graduated Nashua H.S. in '64.

Morin lettered in '63,'64, and '65 per UM archives, so he must have received his degree a year later than the four-year-plan.

daveyboy
Freshman

Post by daveyboy » Thu Jun 26, 2003 4:20 pm

That 1969 team with deflavio,lovell,sarno,marchando,hulecki,dubzinski,
was a pretty nice team. Lost to BC 35-30 at the heights. Great game. Beat BU 14-9 last seconds..craig lovell td.BU had bruce taylor who starred for the niners.

class of 62-64
Freshman

Post by class of 62-64 » Thu Jun 26, 2003 4:55 pm

Meers & Morin came in the same freshman class and I believe played all their seasons together - class of 65 seems about right.

It is Whelchel (forgot the "h"), and he could be listed under either G or J (he was Gerry in HS). I could have sworn he was also class of 65. Lets see, he was a sophmore at Wayland when I was a Sr.. I started UMass in class of 62 but he did a prep year at Cushing Acad. after HS so that should have put him in class of 65 when he started. Oh well. Enough of this off topic stuff.

DrG
Senior

Post by DrG » Thu Jun 26, 2003 9:44 pm

For purposes of eligibility, Meers and Morin were seniors in the 1965 season. which was Landry's sophomore year and the only year he played with them. That team lost to Maine in the first game but by the end of the season was good enough to have been competitive with the likes of BC and Syracuse. We still had big-time designs then, more realistic big-time designs than we have now.

philosopher
Hall of Fame

Re: The Fall 72 Umass Football team was not to shabby either

Post by philosopher » Fri Jun 27, 2003 5:29 pm

seattlemike wrote:Steve Schubert and Tim Berra were stars on this team that clobbered BC the fall of 1972. Peil Pennington was an excellent quarterback. I think this team also ranks up there as one of the best ever
Pennington had one really good year with UMass, his junior year. His senior year he was hyped as the top football player in New England, but his stats fell off and Esposito from BC (previously Marian H.S. in Framingham) walked off with that honor. Peil never got a shot at the NFL and never panned out in Canada. There were a couple of other guys besides Tim Berra and Steve Schubert on that team who were pretty good and had careers in the CFL. Can't recall the Defensive End, but he was a stalwart for the Calgary Stamps for about 15 years and often a CFL all-star.