Doherty to get a 2nd interview?

Anything and everything that is UMass Minutemen Basketball.
gove
Freshman

Doherty to get a 2nd interview?

Post by gove » Sat Mar 19, 2005 8:15 am

sorry Mike if this should go in another thread

http://www.boston.com/sports/colleges/m ... t_doherty/

LS71
Hall of Fame

Post by LS71 » Sat Mar 19, 2005 9:07 am

If this is true, I'm not happy that "UMass is focusing" on a guy who has not made UMass his #1 choice.

I want a coach that WANTS UMass :!:
"Win without boasting, lose without crying." -- Julius Erving

deke
Junior

Post by deke » Sat Mar 19, 2005 9:19 am

You can't really fault a guy who's "first choice" is in the city where he lives (and nearby to where he made his name).

I'd think the fans of Charlotte would be more concerned about hiring him knowing that he had a couple volatile coaching years down the road at UNC.

LS71
Hall of Fame

Post by LS71 » Sat Mar 19, 2005 9:38 am

deke wrote:You can't really fault a guy who's "first choice" is in the city where he lives (and nearby to where he made his name).
I can't and I don't.

My concern is that UMass' "first choice" is a guy who would rather be elsewhere.
"Win without boasting, lose without crying." -- Julius Erving

sriram12078
Sophomore

Post by sriram12078 » Sat Mar 19, 2005 10:25 am

It will be hard to find a coach of the caliber they are looking for without having to "sell" Amherst to him. So the fact that UMass is not #1 should not be a hindrance. His 3 years at UNC were volatile and tough, but he was also not put in a position to succeed. The alumni were impatient, the school erred in hiring Guthridge and thus hurting post-dean recruiting. Doherty should never have been hired for a job that big, Doherty took it because hell, they offered! And then Felton, McCants and May came in and quit on him, and have quit on every tough opponent they have faced ever since. Doherty would create buzz for sure, and at 41 he is a better "growth stock" than other guys could be. UMass, the position they are in, will be gambling with whomever they pick. They don't have the luxury of finding clean established reps. They crapped out with lappas, they might do better with Doherty.

DTM80
Junior

Post by DTM80 » Sat Mar 19, 2005 10:26 am

I hope this list doesn't mean Pearl is left out and Tom Moore will not be interviewed. Hopefully they will interview Pearl before they make a decision. I don't know much about Christian, but I would prefer Pearl or Bobby G over Doherty any time. I guess I better check out the Kent State's coaches resume.

Sea Dog
Freshman

Post by Sea Dog » Sat Mar 19, 2005 10:44 am

Did anyone read Michael Gee in the Herald do a hatchet job on the UMass program? (Can't link to the columnists, they want you to pay for it)

Here are some of his thoughts:

"As things stand now, Pearl or any other upwardly mobile coach would be daft to take the UMass job. It's not a step up from UWM."

"The clue to UMass' cluelessness is that Steve Lavin has been mentioned as a candidate to replace Steve Lappas"

Who mentioned Lavin as a candidate besides the media?

Sea Dog
Freshman

Post by Sea Dog » Sat Mar 19, 2005 10:56 am

"No Moore for UMass: UConn director of basketball operations Pat Sellers, who was an assistant coach at UMass last year, said UMass officials are solid in their desire to hire a proved head coach. That likely leaves UConn assistant Tom Moore out of the mix for the Minutemen."

http://www.rep-am.com/

AlPatino
Junior

Post by AlPatino » Sat Mar 19, 2005 11:22 am

Matty V. reports Doherty top candidate:

http://www.dailyhampshiregazette.com/um ... 1900742005
Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans. John Lennon

shovelhd
Hall of Fame

Post by shovelhd » Sat Mar 19, 2005 11:29 am

Sea Dog wrote:Did anyone read Michael Gee in the Herald do a hatchet job on the UMass program? (Can't link to the columnists, they want you to pay for it)
I pay for it, and I'll post the article here if Mike says it's ok.

carrierustothepromiseland
Senior

Post by carrierustothepromiseland » Sat Mar 19, 2005 11:35 am

sriram12078 wrote:It will be hard to find a coach of the caliber they are looking for without having to "sell" Amherst to him. So the fact that UMass is not #1 should not be a hindrance. His 3 years at UNC were volatile and tough, but he was also not put in a position to succeed. The alumni were impatient, the school erred in hiring Guthridge and thus hurting post-dean recruiting. Doherty should never have been hired for a job that big, Doherty took it because hell, they offered! And then Felton, McCants and May came in and quit on him, and have quit on every tough opponent they have faced ever since. Doherty would create buzz for sure, and at 41 he is a better "growth stock" than other guys could be. UMass, the position they are in, will be gambling with whomever they pick. They don't have the luxury of finding clean established reps. They crapped out with lappas, they might do better with Doherty.

you are going to sound like an idiot when they cut down the nets in a couple weeks!

they haven't quit on Roy, because he isn't an asshole!

isithow?
Junior

Post by isithow? » Sat Mar 19, 2005 11:46 am

I hear an object falling through the air from great heights if in fact what Dewey reported is true. :(

sriram12078
Sophomore

Post by sriram12078 » Sat Mar 19, 2005 11:58 am

No I won't sound like an idiot when Carolina cuts down the nets. They have the most talent in the country. Of course they should win it. However, living in ACC country the last 3 years I can tell you that Carolina is basically a big bully under McCants-Felton, and frankly Roy's teams (even in Kansas) were bullies. They do not react well when really challenged, it just happens they have so much talent that challenges are few and far between. This year they lost 4 games. Santa Clara gets a pass because of no Felton. This year the 2nd Duke game was the only time they stared at adversity and prevailed.

philosopher
Hall of Fame

Post by philosopher » Sat Mar 19, 2005 12:14 pm

DTM80 wrote:I hope this list doesn't mean Pearl is left out and Tom Moore will not be interviewed. Hopefully they will interview Pearl before they make a decision. I don't know much about Christian, but I would prefer Pearl or Bobby G over Doherty any time. I guess I better check out the Kent State's coaches resume.
The lack of mentioning Pearl's name is "a cause for concern." Unless, of course, he is still coaching in the dance -- haven't kept too close tabs on that.

sriram12078
Sophomore

Post by sriram12078 » Sat Mar 19, 2005 12:24 pm

Gee is a little harsh in his piece on UMass' place in the world, but he makes a lot of good sense. If you can go from UW-Milwaukee for a Tennessee (for instance), why would you go to UMass? What this school needs is to find a coach who will not be looking to "move up", who will not apologize and whine about what the program is not. I have mentioned that the perfect type of coach for UMass would have been Al Skinner. UMass doesn't need a good recruiter in a blue chip sense, they need a good talent evaluator. Like Belichick and Skinner do in their own ways, find players other people sleep on, and coach em up to high high caliber. The big danger that UMass runs with the names on their coaching search is that they are trying to lure a big time sounding name when they are better off finding a strong lower profile name that knows basketball. At this stage, BC might be a good program to look at for guidance.