Thread for Matt Doherty Supporters ONLY

Anything and everything that is UMass Minutemen Basketball.
CapeCodBruiser
Senior

Thread for Matt Doherty Supporters ONLY

Post by CapeCodBruiser » Fri Mar 18, 2005 2:21 pm

OK it appears that there at least a few of us who want to hitch our Umass wagons to Matt Doherty's star. I hope this thread will bring out all the posters in our camp. I went on the air with Ted Sarandis the other night and publicly stated I hope Umass hires him. I got a favorable reaction from Ted Nation although I do not know how many Ouzo's he had consumed by that time. Your assignment in this thread is to find out how we can let the search committee know our feelings on hiring Doherty. Doherty's name seems to have a polarizing effect....they either love him or hate him. Some are even saying they will not support the team if he is hired (maybe they will move to France!). Also please post any comments from Doherty to see if we are even on his radar. Word is he lives in Charlotte and there could be an opening at UNCC. The guy has fire in his belly and is passionate about basketball. Lets hope the committee does the right thing. UMASS = UMATT !

CRR_
Senior

Post by CRR_ » Fri Mar 18, 2005 2:31 pm

:shock:
"For the record, they didn't steal the laptops; they sold them."

zuksnj
Junior

Post by zuksnj » Fri Mar 18, 2005 2:35 pm

Not a big fan of the idea :wink:
And still heavyweight champ..Umass basketball!

Used to be VOR
Hall of Fame

Post by Used to be VOR » Fri Mar 18, 2005 2:56 pm

I think we finally have met IV's dad.........

CapeCodBruiser
Senior

Post by CapeCodBruiser » Fri Mar 18, 2005 3:04 pm

Charlotte is out of the tournament faster than shizznit through a goose. Will they go after our guy (UMatt) immediately? Does anyone know what is going on here? Is the search committee on Spring Break down at The Compound eating lobsters in Hyannisport or do they have their nose on the grindstone? Are we into the "paralysis by analysis" mode yet?

MATT DOHERTY A LONLEY UMASS NATION TURNS ITS EYES TOWARDS YOU!

Robertorell
Junior

Post by Robertorell » Fri Mar 18, 2005 3:08 pm

Umm...have you met 'Superfan'? :shock:

Rudy Ruettiger
Sophomore

Re: Thread for Matt Doherty Supporters ONLY

Post by Rudy Ruettiger » Fri Mar 18, 2005 3:13 pm

CapeCodBruiser wrote: I went on the air with Ted Sarandis the other night
So we've read...

UmassFanatic
Junior

Post by UmassFanatic » Fri Mar 18, 2005 3:19 pm

The one thing that I like about Doherty is when I look at UNC this season I see a staring 5 with alot of talent. He was the one who recruited the likes of May, Felton, and Williams. He seems as though he was a good recuriter at UNC. But I still don't know who i would hire in this situation. There are many good candidates up for the job i just hope the committee just picks the right one.
Go Umass!!!

hope

Post by hope » Fri Mar 18, 2005 3:38 pm

Of all the candidates mentioned he is the only one who has the criteria needed to win in Amherst.

Confident - has done well at everything he has tried before, one bad incident where a hall of fame coach was waiting in the wings should not be counted as heavily as everyone has counted it so far.

Arrogant - All coaches are arrogant, that is why the salaries are so high, the budgets have swelled, and the avg. span of a coaches term at a school has shrunk.

Luminous - For lack of a better word, a shining light, a bright and brilliant recruiter whose shine is bright enough to cast attention onto Amherst.

Sounds like someone we used to have here . . . CAL.

All jokes aside, the pool is tremendous and the key to this coaching search is who will bring the program back to the level of respectability the quickest and can lay the same foundation that CAL layed for Bruiser. Wether or not he stays long should not matter - You all agree that the CAL era was the best time to be a fan of UMass basketball and that all that matters is that it gets there again. We will cross the road of having to find his successor when it happens.

The candidate pool is as good as it is because of the work being done behind the scenes. Marcum put all his eggs in one basket (Knight) and then got stuck with Lappas. This is not about who is available to be our coach this year, but who is available to be our coach in the next two weeks. The dominos will continue to fall and we need to take the top person now before other jobs open. Losing Doherty to another school has already reared its ugly head in Charlotte as their coach or agent is on the phone with Tennessee right now negotiating his way to the SEC and out of the A-10. Charlotte is probably a more attractive option because they were more successful in a better conference than UMass and will be very good next year in this league and will help that coach get to his next job in a major conference quicker than working at UMass.

jrdupe
Junior

Post by jrdupe » Fri Mar 18, 2005 3:48 pm

I really feel Doherty could be the one to put UMASS back on the map. I know I keep saying it, but his arrogance is probably his best recruiting tool. He thinks he is the best and that no player is out of his league. He won't back off a top 10 recruit because he coaches UMASS. He will go after the guy hard and if he loses him, oh well, he'll go onto someone else. I think this is the way Calipari/Bayno were. They didn't care if they were going up against some of the elite colleges for a top 10 kid. They really felt they had just as good a chance to get a guy as Duke or Kansas did. I don't think Lappas had that type of attitude. How many guys did Lappas recruit that were considering UNC, Duke, Kansas and UMASS? None. They were always considering UNH, Hofstra, Fairfield and UMASS...not real competition in my opinion. I may be exaggerating a bit, but I think you get the point.

I guess I just like the fact that Doherty will not back down from a potential recruit because he is also considering a bigger name school. Donta Bright was the national player of the year his senior year, but that did not discourage Calipari/Bayno from going after him. I think this will be true of Doherty as well. I also think Barbee will be the same way, but I just like the experience Doherty brings.

CRR_
Senior

Post by CRR_ » Fri Mar 18, 2005 4:26 pm

:shock: :shock:
"For the record, they didn't steal the laptops; they sold them."

Robertorell
Junior

Post by Robertorell » Fri Mar 18, 2005 4:32 pm

Arrogance is the key?

Suddenly Satan's phone started ringing....

UMass87
Hall of Fame

Post by UMass87 » Fri Mar 18, 2005 4:32 pm

jrdupe wrote:... Donta Bright was the national player of the year his senior year, ....
I know Donta was a McD's AA but I was pretty sure he was the sixth man on his Dunbar team and I certainly don't remember him being player of the year.

jrdupe
Junior

Post by jrdupe » Fri Mar 18, 2005 4:35 pm

He was definitley named Player of Year by a few publications. I don't know exactly what one's anymore, but I know he was.

krkess
Senior

Post by krkess » Fri Mar 18, 2005 4:44 pm

This is some pretty funny stuff, I don't who you are.
-Larry the Cable Guy