Thread for Matt Doherty Supporters ONLY

Anything and everything that is UMass Minutemen Basketball.
LS71
Hall of Fame

Post by LS71 » Sat Mar 19, 2005 9:24 am

carrierustothepromiseland wrote:...Doesn't anyone care that UMass is not even his top choice...
It bothers me, as I posted in the thread reporting a 2nd interview for Doherty.

I'm disappointed that Tom Moore hasn't even been interviewd.

McCutch...at least talk to the guy, will ya?
"Win without boasting, lose without crying." -- Julius Erving

Chris20
Hall of Fame

Post by Chris20 » Sat Mar 19, 2005 9:32 am

ElGuapo Hoy wrote:Can't we do any better?

The guy won National Coach of the year his first yr at UNC and was in the top 5 for the award the year before at ND.

I would say that's pretty damn good.

I have said this before that we are fans not athletic administrators and if UMass decided to hire MD then you can pretty much bet that they have done their homework and talked to anyone and everyone regarding him and what happened. As fans all we do is listened to peoples opinions who assume they know what happened.

This, I believe did not happen with Coach Lappas under Bob Marcum. Let's all be glad he's not running the search again.
Agreed....we have to have faith - we can talk all we want, but we have no choice but to have faith. Again, we have multiple good candidates....be happy, and let's see which one we're lucky enough to get. just hope it's not carroll or o'brien.....but I would be very surprised if it is.

chuff
Senior

Post by chuff » Sat Mar 19, 2005 9:46 am

Chris20 wrote: Agreed....we have to have faith - we can talk all we want, but we have no choice but to have faith. Again, we have multiple good candidates....be happy, and let's see which one we're lucky enough to get. just hope it's not carroll or o'brien.....but I would be very surprised if it is.
"Faith may be defined briefly as an illogical belief in the occurrence of the improbable." HL Mencken

"Faith is believing what you know ain't so." Mark Twain

CapeCodBruiser
Senior

Post by CapeCodBruiser » Sat Mar 19, 2005 10:00 am

Boston Pravda says Matt Doherty is "front runner" for Umass Job:

http://www.boston.com/sports/colleges/m ... t_doherty/

Looks like our search committee is doing a fine job. If any of you Maroon and White bleeders out in the Pioneer Valley see Matt Doherty strolling around simply recite the famous Cheap Trick line: "I want you to want me!"

By the way Cheap Trick played Southwest Concert in 1984. Their popularity was already on downside at that time. They had an elaborate getaway plan with a speeding car bolting on that oval that goes around football stadium. To their dismay there wasn't a single groupie trying to get at them. Good band however.

CRR_
Senior

Post by CRR_ » Sat Mar 19, 2005 10:07 am

CCB, can you tell us what makes you believe that the meltdown which occured at UNC is safely in the past for Doherty? At this point all I can gather is that you're enthusiastic about him, but I'm not sure why. Can you tell us specifically what has happened to Doherty to make you so enthusiastic?

I don't doubt that he's an intelligent guy, and from his commentary during games it's clear that he has a good basketball mind. None of that is in question.

My concern is that, with few exceptions, people don't change. I would be very disappointed if Doherty were hired at UMass and, within 3 seasons "lost the team" because of his hyper-intense ways. I would be equally disappointed if UMass passed over some good candidates only to have Doherty leave UMass after 1 season as he did to Notre Dame.
"For the record, they didn't steal the laptops; they sold them."

LS71
Hall of Fame

Post by LS71 » Sat Mar 19, 2005 10:17 am

CapeCodBruiser wrote:If any of you Maroon and White bleeders out in the Pioneer Valley see Matt Doherty strolling around simply recite the famous Cheap Trick line: "I want you to want me!"
Funny, that line came to mind in reverse as I read the aricle...

If he comes here, I want him to want us.

I don't want UMass to be somebody's fallback choice.
"Win without boasting, lose without crying." -- Julius Erving

hope

Post by hope » Sat Mar 19, 2005 11:19 am

We are not a fallback choice. Charlotte is a better situation right now as a stepping stone institution.

For all who care, don't believe what you read.

What a pool of candidates! Be Happy1 :D

CRR_
Senior

Post by CRR_ » Sat Mar 19, 2005 11:28 am

See my post above. Maybe you can answer as well.

carrierustothepromiseland
Senior

Post by carrierustothepromiseland » Sat Mar 19, 2005 11:28 am

hope wrote:We are not a fallback choice. Charlotte is a better situation right now as a stepping stone institution.

For all who care, don't believe what you read.

What a pool of candidates! Be Happy1 :D

Oh it was a great pool, but it looks like our athletic department wants the worst one of the bunch.

hope

Post by hope » Sat Mar 19, 2005 11:42 am

C'mon - we don't know what's going on. You don't know me from a whole in the wall just like you don't know the candidates. The reason why the right guy will get this job is because we actually have people making decisions that don't hire people just because they know them.

The candidate that can articulate his position, drive, energy and success while assuring the committee that they are not a PR risk is the winner of the search.

I'm pro Doherty but not 100% sold. How can I who gets dragged thru the mud for two years not have learned a lesson. These are people and while most people can't of don't change that doesn't mean what happened in there past will happen again. It was a completely different situation and a time where NC was overeacting because there guy, the guy they wanted (Williams) - was finally available.
Last edited by hope on Sat Mar 19, 2005 12:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CRR_
Senior

Post by CRR_ » Sat Mar 19, 2005 11:52 am

Okay, can you give us some idea of where these insights about the inner-workings of the UNC athletic department are coming from? You are clearly trying to give the impression that you know things we don't and have access to information that was not public. Did you work for Doherty?

hope

Post by hope » Sat Mar 19, 2005 11:58 am

never met the man . . . don't know anyone from NC . . . just reading up on the candidates and everything that happend at NC happened in like a two week period . . . google it and check the dates from the kansas web-sites and the NC web-sites.

it all seems a little too weak to fire a guy because one or two of his players don't like him. find another college coach who was canned because of that lame excuse. then put in all the kansas situation and the timing of it and boy doesn't that look fishy.

hope

Post by hope » Sat Mar 19, 2005 12:06 pm

kusports.com has alot of good stuff, more like the enquirer of kansas sports. it is not the official web-site of the school.

BTHoops
Senior

Post by BTHoops » Sat Mar 19, 2005 12:11 pm

A couple different things. Donta Bright did get Eastern Basketball's Nation High School Player of the Year his senior season. I still have the cover of the publication hanging on a wall back home.

Also, I have been all over www.CSTV.com looking for the article CapeCod Bruiser posted, but I cannot find. CapeCodBruiser, can you post a link so we can read the whole article? I don't doubt it exists, but I would love to read it.

Also, I posted this earlier, but wanted to add it to this thread:

Let's be honest...North Carolina recruits itself. Kids want to wear Carolina Blue and White and follow the footsteps of Michael Jordan. The tradition started even before Jordan, that place is college basketball and college basketball history. Each season UNC gets to choose who they focus on in recruiting and basically battle with Kansas, Duke and Kentucky for them. If they have a kid on their radar who is not be recruited by any of those three other schools more often than not they are going to UNC regarless of who is coaching at UNC. On top of that they win some of those recruiting battles with Kansas, Duke and Kentucky to get the elite.

Yes, most of the players who are currently at UNC played under Doherty, but I am not as impressed by the fact that he recruited them, but more by the fact that they tanked under him and they forced him out. Something went drastically wrong and since he left, things are back on track at UNC.

Doherty scares me.

chuff
Senior

Post by chuff » Sat Mar 19, 2005 12:39 pm

I'd like to know why CCB feels that we aren't looking at someone who is eerily like our most recent coach. I'm not in panic mode yet, because I agree with hope (the poster), that this process isn't over. I'm not sure why the Globe and Gazette have decided that Doherty is leading the pack. And I'd still like some insight into CCB's rabid support for this guy.

What I see is someone who coached 4 yrs., left his first job after only one year because a better opportunity surfaced, and then was forced to resign from this dream job because he couldn't figure out a way to make it work.

UNC probably should not have hired Doherty in the first place. Maybe his experiences there taught him something, or were part in some small part unfair treatment, but in any event, this would be his rehab assignment. If he were successful, when something better came along, he'd be gone. If not, we have Lappas redux.

To get a sense of the UNC situation, here are some stories from the papers at that time.

Code: Select all

Year     School       W-L      Pct    Postseason
1999-00  Notre Dame   22-15    .595   Lost in final of NIT
2000-01  UNC          26-7     .788   Lost in second round of NCAA
2001-02  UNC           8-20    .286   None
2002-03  UNC          19-16    .543   Lost in quarterfinals of NIT
Totals                75-58    .564
Last edited by chuff on Sat Mar 19, 2005 12:42 pm, edited 3 times in total.