Who should it be -- round 2

Anything and everything that is UMass Minutemen Basketball.

Who should be the new UMass basketball coach?

Tom Moore (UConn assistant)
29%
Tony Barbee (Memphis asst., former UMass player)
14%
Bobby Gonzalez (Manhattan coach)
4%
Matt Doherty (former (UNC, ND coach)
13%
Steve Lavin (former UCLA coach)
3%
Ron Everhard (Northeastern coach)
No votes
Dennis Wolff (BU coach)
1%
Dennis Wolff (BU coach)
1%
Travis Ford (Eastern Kentucky coach)
6%
Bruce Pearl (Wisconsin-Milwaukee coach)
21%
Tim O'Shea (Ohio U. coach)
1%
Mike Hopkins (Syracuse assistant)
1%
Ralph Willard (Holy Cross coach)
1%
Joe Mihalich (Niagara coach)
4%
Pete Gillen (Former UVa, Xavier coach)
2%
Jeff Capel (VCU coach)
1%

Total votes: 127

MullinsManiac
Senior

Post by MullinsManiac » Fri Mar 18, 2005 7:55 pm

It's been less than 24 hours since I put this poll up, and already we have nine pages worth or posts. That's got to be some kind of record. :shock: :shock: :shock:

The interesting part is that at this point, only Everhard has yet to get a vote.

The most important thing to take from these two polls is that there is a loyal fan base that's hungry as hell for something to get excited about.
MullinsManiac is on a drug ... it's called MullinsManiac.

VoxPop
Senior

Post by VoxPop » Fri Mar 18, 2005 7:59 pm

Moore
Pearl
Gonzo
Insert cornball rah rah slogan rhyming w/"Ford" here.

krkess
Senior

Post by krkess » Fri Mar 18, 2005 8:06 pm

I'm not going to vote in this poll until I'm able to vote for at least 8 of these candidates.

DEM
Senior

Post by DEM » Fri Mar 18, 2005 9:04 pm

AGldFinch6 wrote:
DEM wrote:
My only reservations are:
1. Will he be able to recruit locally after being out of Mass for so long?
2. Does he even want to move, and if so, would he pick us over Tennessee or UVA?

The latter question is my bigger concern.
The UW-Mil roster includes 12 players from Wisconsin, 3 from around Chicago, 3 from Ohio and 1 from Texas. The makeup of where these players are from makes me lean toward him preferring to recruit locally. If he comes to UMass there is no reason he wouldn't go after New England recruits. Whether he could sign them who knows.
My point was not his willingness to recruit locally, but his ties. After being in the midwest for so long, he may have to re-establish his connections with the schools around here. Like I said though, it's not a huge concern of mine, clearly he has what it takes to be a successful head coach, much more so than any of the other candidates mentioned. I hope he is our number one (and we are his), I don't see any other proven coaches of his caliber mentioned for the job.

CRR_
Senior

Post by CRR_ » Fri Mar 18, 2005 9:55 pm

DEM wrote:
AGldFinch6 wrote:
DEM wrote:
My only reservations are:
1. Will he be able to recruit locally after being out of Mass for so long?
2. Does he even want to move, and if so, would he pick us over Tennessee or UVA?

The latter question is my bigger concern.
The UW-Mil roster includes 12 players from Wisconsin, 3 from around Chicago, 3 from Ohio and 1 from Texas. The makeup of where these players are from makes me lean toward him preferring to recruit locally. If he comes to UMass there is no reason he wouldn't go after New England recruits. Whether he could sign them who knows.
My point was not his willingness to recruit locally, but his ties. After being in the midwest for so long, he may have to re-establish his connections with the schools around here. Like I said though, it's not a huge concern of mine, clearly he has what it takes to be a successful head coach, much more so than any of the other candidates mentioned. I hope he is our number one (and we are his), I don't see any other proven coaches of his caliber mentioned for the job.
It only took Steve Lappas a couple of years to cut most of UMass' ties to local/regional AAU programs. I'm sure that whoever the new coach is, he'll be able to re-establish them just as quickly. It's pretty easy. You call an AAU coach, you say "I'm the head coach at UMass and I want to talk with you." It's what some coaches do to help with recruiting.
"For the record, they didn't steal the laptops; they sold them."

krkess
Senior

Post by krkess » Fri Mar 18, 2005 10:06 pm

Lappas recruited Conn player of the year in Jeff Viggiano and he would have brought in Austrie, so maybe he didn't cut all ties.
But I always wondered why no UMass coach was able to get a recruit from Mike Byrnes.

philosopher
Hall of Fame

Post by philosopher » Fri Mar 18, 2005 10:21 pm

econalum wrote:Phil - Barnes will be feeling a lot more heat after the Texas loss last night -he may be calling them (UVA).
Texas alums understand that the 'Horns lost two starters, one to grades and one to injury, in January. He won't be feeling much heat. Not with the LOIs he already has in hand. The Big 12 is a conference on the rise, and I'm not really worried about him leaving. I wouldn't mind if he were to consider UMass, however. :mrgreen: But that isn't very likely. I don't think UVA can match the package he can command in Austin. Barnes is actually more popular that Mack Brown.

CRR_
Senior

Post by CRR_ » Fri Mar 18, 2005 10:48 pm

krkess wrote:Lappas recruited Conn player of the year in Jeff Viggiano and he would have brought in Austrie, so maybe he didn't cut all ties.
But I always wondered why no UMass coach was able to get a recruit from Mike Byrnes.
Actually, I admit that what I posted was based on some second-hand information from people associated with BABC and the Mass Wildcats programs. It was a while since the Viggiano recruiting process, though. And while he did have "special plans" for Austrie, I would still want the UMass coach to be going after the players from the leading AAU programs in the state.

krkess
Senior

Post by krkess » Fri Mar 18, 2005 10:59 pm

CRR_ wrote:
krkess wrote:Lappas recruited Conn player of the year in Jeff Viggiano and he would have brought in Austrie, so maybe he didn't cut all ties.
Actually, I admit that what I posted was based on some second-hand information from people associated with BABC and the Mass Wildcats programs. It was a while since the Viggiano recruiting process, though. And while he did have "special plans" for Austrie, I would still want the UMass coach to be going after the players from the leading AAU programs in the state.
I guessed as much from things you've posted in the past and I agree with you as far as the importance of the in state players. But I think UMass can continue to reap the best of the Nutmeg State as long as UConn continues to recruit nationally while ignoring their own backyard. Believe when I tell you that the Pioneer Valley has much more in common with much of Connecticut than it does with Boston.

CRR_
Senior

Post by CRR_ » Fri Mar 18, 2005 11:01 pm

krkess wrote:I guessed as much from things you've posted in the past and I agree with you as far as the importance of the in state players. But I think UMass can continue to reap the best of the Nutmeg State as long as UConn continues to recruit nationally while ignoring their own backyard. Believe when I tell you that the Pioneer Valley has much more in common with much of Connecticut than it does with Boston.
No doubt.

Was Anthony the last Boston-area player to sign for UMass?

sriram12078
Sophomore

What the right coach requires

Post by sriram12078 » Sat Mar 19, 2005 1:22 am

The key properties the next coach has to have are fairly simple:

1. A good salesman. This is a fickle market. To think that UMass can sustain interest and visibility without winning consistently is kind of silly. This is not NC, but the Mullins Center should be getting more than 3500 people.

2. A great "fit" recruiter. The retreads are attractive because you think Lavin and Doherty could be blue chip recruiters. This is a silly idea because UMass simply lacks that cache at the moment. What UMass needs recruiting-wise is someone like Al Skinnner who can find good players to fit who can fly under the radar.

Doherty might be right choice, I just don't know.

Base7
Freshman

Post by Base7 » Sat Mar 19, 2005 2:46 am

Okay, I am begrudgingly beginning to think I can maybe possibly accept Doherty (just due to the whole 'retread' thing which I have a hard time with like so many others), but if it's Lavin, O'Brien, etc., I will lock myself into a cage full of starving rottweilers with raw steaks tied around my neck...

Chris20
Hall of Fame

Post by Chris20 » Sat Mar 19, 2005 9:07 am

MullinsManiac wrote: The most important thing to take from these two polls is that there is a loyal fan base that's hungry as hell for something to get excited about.
Yes...and that we all agree there are few good candidates....we just agree on who those few are. While I have my opinions, I realize the powers that be have infinitely more information and experience with which to make their decision. So while it's fun to talk about (obviously), it seems we can just wait and see and hope that a year from now we are awaiting a sweet sixteen game.......or, I guess I could settle for a second round NIT game.

Chris20
Hall of Fame

Post by Chris20 » Sat Mar 19, 2005 9:19 am

Base7 wrote:Okay, I am begrudgingly beginning to think I can maybe possibly accept Doherty (just due to the whole 'retread' thing which I have a hard time with like so many others), but if it's Lavin, O'Brien, etc., I will lock myself into a cage full of starving rottweilers with raw steaks tied around my neck...

i don't think it's fair to lump Doherty in with O'Brien and Lavin.....or even Lappas circa 2000. Those are three coaches who quite possibly have hit their apex, and are looking for what is probably their last shot at big-time success. Doherty, was 2 years removed from nat'l COY and had one of the best classes of all time coming in, when an apparent personality issue and the Roy WIlliams situation cut him off at the legs. At least partially his fault? It seems like it....but again, the Belichick analogy might have some merit.

O'Brien - forced out under heavy clouds
Lavin - forced out without much controversy
Lappas - was anyone at Villanova devastated to see him go? How many coaches go from Big East to A-10 to advance their career?

The Doherty situation is unique....from rising superstar to the trash heap in one year....

That said, Doherty has baggage, I just disagree that we shouldn't consider him strongly. He would bring instant relevance to the program, and might even get us back on ESPN once or twice next year. If the finances aren't overwhelming, he's my 1st choice.

Chris20
Hall of Fame

Post by Chris20 » Sat Mar 19, 2005 9:25 am

Swampy wrote:"When Lappas was hired, I thought it was a decent hire given the other options....he wouldn't have gottena sniff this time around."

Why not?
His record at 'Nova was very good.
He had a reputation as a good recruiter.
He was a head coach in a big conference.
At the time of his hiring, he was viewed by many here as someone who could bring the program back to the top of the A-10.

At the time of his hire Lappas had a lot of the same qualities that McCutcheon listed in his press conference.
Disagree.....like it or not, 'Nova to Umass is a small step backwards in a career, and while I had cautiously high hopes for Lappas, it always smelled like he was leaving 'Nova and they weren't too upset about it. Can't speak for the AD or Committee, but on this board I see support for intriguing young assistants (Barbee/Moore), and head coaches on their way up from programs in lower conferences (Pearl/Gonzales). I don't see anyone in a "Lappas 2000" situation getting a sniff - too many up and comers available this year.