Who should it be -- round 2

Anything and everything that is UMass Minutemen Basketball.

Who should be the new UMass basketball coach?

Tom Moore (UConn assistant)
29%
Tony Barbee (Memphis asst., former UMass player)
14%
Bobby Gonzalez (Manhattan coach)
4%
Matt Doherty (former (UNC, ND coach)
13%
Steve Lavin (former UCLA coach)
3%
Ron Everhard (Northeastern coach)
No votes
Dennis Wolff (BU coach)
1%
Dennis Wolff (BU coach)
1%
Travis Ford (Eastern Kentucky coach)
6%
Bruce Pearl (Wisconsin-Milwaukee coach)
21%
Tim O'Shea (Ohio U. coach)
1%
Mike Hopkins (Syracuse assistant)
1%
Ralph Willard (Holy Cross coach)
1%
Joe Mihalich (Niagara coach)
4%
Pete Gillen (Former UVa, Xavier coach)
2%
Jeff Capel (VCU coach)
1%

Total votes: 127

TC @ DC
Sophomore

Post by TC @ DC » Fri Mar 18, 2005 9:06 am

Top Three: Barbee, Moore, & Pearl (happy with any of these guys)

Stay Away From: Doherty, Lavin, & Gonzo (it would be like having Lappas all over again for me)

FRDreams II
Junior

Post by FRDreams II » Fri Mar 18, 2005 9:13 am

Chuff,

I get my information like everyone on this board. I read articles and I have not read in the last day or two of any contact with Moore or Gonzalez. All I have read about is a bunch of re-treads which is pissing me off.
I used to bench 225 for sets. Now all I do is Ralph Cross!

vanmeter
Senior

Post by vanmeter » Fri Mar 18, 2005 9:13 am

I have heard, from reliable source, that Lavin and Jarvis are not candidates. (Thankfully)

Crank
Senior

Post by Crank » Fri Mar 18, 2005 9:15 am

Thanks for the tip Van Meter...now we just have to avoid Doherty!

krkess
Senior

Post by krkess » Fri Mar 18, 2005 9:15 am

I just spoke to a Manhattan alum, he is very impressed with Gonzalez. He says he's heard him speak at functions and he's a great salesman. Last summer he spoke at an alumni event and told them this year would be a transition year but next year should be an excellent year. He's convinced that Gonzo is not going to leave because he had 3 freshman start this year and a great recruiting class coming in. He also said it's obvious from watching the games his players respect him and that they have a great relationship.

krkess
Senior

Post by krkess » Fri Mar 18, 2005 9:17 am

TC @ DC wrote:Top Three: Barbee, Moore, & Pearl (happy with any of these guys)

Stay Away From: Doherty, Lavin, & Gonzo (it would be like having Lappas all over again for me)
Why do you say that about Gonzo? Are they the same in your mind because they coached at Manhattan? Do you even think when you type things like that?

Umass73
Sophomore

Post by Umass73 » Fri Mar 18, 2005 9:18 am

New coach should not be someone canned from one of the major conferences for having a .500 record and the new coach should have some simple objectives 1) maintain high ehtics and 2) to make the big dance in March. If dance not achieved revisit objective each year to insure there is noticeable improvement.

MikeUMA
Site Admin

Post by MikeUMA » Fri Mar 18, 2005 9:21 am

chuff wrote:
FRDreams II wrote:I am losing confidence in this committee by the day. The fact that they have not contacted Moore or Gonzo yet is a big mistake.
And you know this how?
Chuff has a point. Just cause it doesn't make it into the papers doesn't mean it hasn't happened. The committee isn't going around and publicizing who they've talked to.

Used to be VOR
Hall of Fame

Post by Used to be VOR » Fri Mar 18, 2005 9:25 am

I have several people I know fairly well on this committee....and I can tell you one thing, they are NOT TALKING about who is being contacted and who is not.

Heaven knows I have asked.

econalum
Senior

Post by econalum » Fri Mar 18, 2005 9:29 am

I, too, am increasingly concerned we are on the 'retread' expressway now, with perhaps Pearl or Gonzo included from the working coaches list.

I am disappointed that the assistant names are trailing off, although I am not sure there is much reporting going on in the media, mostly speculation and working issues on behalf of 'knowns'.

It would be a shame to not even interview Moore.
Feeling entitled is JUST a feeling...

FRDreams II
Junior

Post by FRDreams II » Fri Mar 18, 2005 9:35 am

If the committee is staying tight lipped about possible candidates I wish they would speak publicly about who is not a candidate. I just don't want another re-tread and it seems that is all that is being mentioned now. However, I guess the reason they get mentioned by the press is because of their name. Go Umass!
I used to bench 225 for sets. Now all I do is Ralph Cross!

Chris20
Hall of Fame

two cents

Post by Chris20 » Fri Mar 18, 2005 10:05 am

Former occasional poster, stopped posting pretty much after the Bruiser War reached its peak....been lurking since, but now I'm motivated again....

I would like a head coach....I agree that Moore and Barbee both seem to have a great deal going for them, and I would be optimistic if one of them were hired. However, I think the home run here is Pearl, and I think Doherty would bring instant national recognition and I believe he would get us competing for recruits with ACC and Big East teams, rather than MAAC and America East teams. The drawback with Doherty is obviously the rumored personality issues, but I would like to think that Bill Belichick has taught us that a coach can learn from his mistakes and make himself better.

The thought that Pearl and/or Doherty and/or Gonzales might use us as a stepping stone doesn't concern me.....We are not looking for Lute Olsen or Jim Boeheim - our next coach is not likely to be here for 20 years, no matter who it is. We need to get back to being a top A-10 team, with the occassional shot at National Top 15 or so. A Doherty or Pearl gets us there now, in my opinion. If they leave in 3 years, it will be because UMass is back....fine with me -- we'll be even more attractive to prospective coaches then.

Bottom line here, I think, is that the timing is perfect. There are 5 or 6 very good candidates, all of whom have interest in coming here. When Lappas was hired, I thought it was a decent hire given the other options....he wouldn't have gottena sniff this time around. :D

CapeCodBruiser
Senior

Post by CapeCodBruiser » Fri Mar 18, 2005 10:14 am

The Republican reported last night that Doherty would be in Amherst possibly as soon as this weekend. I like Doherty and he will send fear into the hearts of the other A-10 coaches and fans. Even Ted Sarandis said Doherty is a fine selection. People didn't think G W Bush could be a good President and he has turned out to be one of the best ever. Lets give Doherty the opportunity here. Guy who made the Bellichick comparison is an astute observer of this situation.

UMASS = UMATT !!!!!

LS71
Hall of Fame

Post by LS71 » Fri Mar 18, 2005 10:17 am

My top 3:

Moore
Ford
Barbee
"Win without boasting, lose without crying." -- Julius Erving

carrierustothepromiseland
Senior

Post by carrierustothepromiseland » Fri Mar 18, 2005 10:20 am

I disagree...I do not want a coach that is just looking to use us to get to a bigger program. I believe a guy like Tom Moore would be here for the long haul, because of his Massachusetts roots and how he has said he wanted a job in New England. Aside from UConn, this is the best job in New England.