I'm confused by the delay...

Anything and everything that is UMass Minutemen Basketball.
obg
Senior

Post by obg » Thu Mar 10, 2005 8:45 pm

As said above they can't act until the NIT selects their teams. The NIT can't pick until the NCAAs selects. That is done at 6pm Sunday on TV. It looks like Monday would be the first time they would make his fate known.
Now I'll be on my pessimistic mood. The people who make decisions have NYC personal on board. Lappas is from NYC. If he has some contacts I'll bet he is asking to save his $$$.
Sleep on that!
They may not be great, but they won't be boring!

econalum
Hall of Fame

Post by econalum » Thu Mar 10, 2005 8:54 pm

obg wrote:As said above they can't act until the NIT selects their teams. The NIT can't pick until the NCAAs selects. That is done at 6pm Sunday on TV. It looks like Monday would be the first time they would make his fate known.
Now I'll be on my pessimistic mood. The people who make decisions have NYC personal on board. Lappas is from NYC. If he has some contacts I'll bet he is asking to save his $$$.
Sleep on that!
I'd worry more about a meteor getting deflected toward Earth at the last minute than UM getting an NIT bid after the La Salle debacle.
Feeling entitled is JUST a feeling...

shovelhd
Hall of Fame

Post by shovelhd » Thu Mar 10, 2005 9:05 pm

We should also take the time to make an objective evaluation before hiring someone. If I remember correctly the current coach was hired fairly quickly. We don't need that again.

UMfanatic
Freshman

Post by UMfanatic » Thu Mar 10, 2005 9:23 pm

patience. the matter is to be decided on monday

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=2009638
Umass is back in action!

Are you a fan or a fantatic?

CapeCodBruiser
Senior

Post by CapeCodBruiser » Thu Mar 10, 2005 9:26 pm

These corksuckers want to get into the NIT too:

(SAN DIEGO) - The USD men's basketball team is still holding out hope that the NIT selection committee will reward them with a post-season bid. The Toreros, who finished 16-13 overall, own the biggest turnaround for wins in NCAA Division I this season with 12 more victories. By going 5-2 over the second half of WCC play the Toreros finished in a tie for third place with Santa Clara at 7-7. USD's two losses during that stretch were to first place Gonzaga and second place Saint Mary's. The Toreros knocked off Pepperdine in the 2nd round of the WCC Tournament before falling to the Zags in the semifinals.

"I believe in my heart we are, and should be, an NIT bubble team," said USD head coach Brad Holland. "The league has gained respect with a No. 7 (conference) RPI rating. Gonzaga and Saint Mary's are in the NCAA. Why can't we get two teams in the NCAA and two in the NIT? Our league deserves every consideration to get two teams in the NCAA and two in the NIT."

John Tate
Sophomore

Post by John Tate » Fri Mar 11, 2005 11:02 am

CapeCodBruiser wrote:These corksuckers want to get into the NIT too:

(SAN DIEGO) - The USD men's basketball team is still holding out hope that the NIT selection committee will reward them with a post-season bid. The Toreros, who finished 16-13 overall, own the biggest turnaround for wins in NCAA Division I this season with 12 more victories. By going 5-2 over the second half of WCC play the Toreros finished in a tie for third place with Santa Clara at 7-7. USD's two losses during that stretch were to first place Gonzaga and second place Saint Mary's. The Toreros knocked off Pepperdine in the 2nd round of the WCC Tournament before falling to the Zags in the semifinals.

"I believe in my heart we are, and should be, an NIT bubble team," said USD head coach Brad Holland. "The league has gained respect with a No. 7 (conference) RPI rating. Gonzaga and Saint Mary's are in the NCAA. Why can't we get two teams in the NCAA and two in the NIT? Our league deserves every consideration to get two teams in the NCAA and two in the NIT."
This just proves how far we've fallen...Go UMass!

DS Bruce Robertson
Senior

Post by DS Bruce Robertson » Fri Mar 11, 2005 11:04 am

Are we still looking for proof?
You know, say what you will about America, 13 bucks still gets you a hell of a lot of mice.

Chemical Ali
Senior

Post by Chemical Ali » Fri Mar 11, 2005 11:34 am

CapeCodBruiser wrote:The Toreros, who finished 16-13 overall, own the biggest turnaround for wins in NCAA Division I this season with 12 more victories.
I seem to recall Steve Lappas suggesting that he 'wouldn't be surprised' if UMass held that distinction. Guess we came up short.

The Donald
Freshman

Post by The Donald » Sat Mar 12, 2005 2:11 am

Unfortunately, the NIT does not even consider the RPI. The NIT is all about two things: home attendance for the chosen home teams (some teams will play 3 at home before going to NYC) and also TV considerations for ESPN. UMass, unfortunately, I can see taking a trip to Memphis if they lose to Louisville in the morning. This would guarantee Lap his $$ and throw a monkey wrench into everything. As much as I would like to see postseason hoops, we need a change. I’ll keep my fingers crossed…

Old Prospector
Junior

Post by Old Prospector » Sat Mar 12, 2005 3:34 am

The Donald's presence on this board can only mean positive news come Monday. :) :)

DTM80
Junior

Post by DTM80 » Sat Mar 12, 2005 7:58 am

I wouldn't hold my breath on Memphis being our opponent, they may have played their way into the NCAA tourney. A win today against Louisville and that will end the scenario of a UMass Memphis matchup. A Drexel matchup probably would probably be more likely ,but I'm not sure that would generate the money the NIT is looking for. We will know shortly........

UMass87
Hall of Fame

Post by UMass87 » Sat Mar 12, 2005 8:36 am

The Donald wrote:Unfortunately, the NIT does not even consider the RPI. The NIT is all about two things: home attendance for the chosen home teams (some teams will play 3 at home before going to NYC) and also TV considerations for ESPN. UMass, unfortunately, I can see taking a trip to Memphis if they lose to Louisville in the morning. This would guarantee Lap his $$ and throw a monkey wrench into everything. As much as I would like to see postseason hoops, we need a change. I’ll keep my fingers crossed…
I love when ignrorant posters simply appear. If you knew what you were talking about - which you don't - then maybe someone would listen. In other threards, two seperate articles have been posted where NIT officials state that they DO use the RPI. Ad the fact that no team got in in last year with an RPI worse than 108 and you have enough evidence to conclude that you are an idiot.

fbiman
Sophomore

Post by fbiman » Sat Mar 12, 2005 9:20 am

UMass87 wrote:
The Donald wrote:Unfortunately, the NIT does not even consider the RPI. The NIT is all about two things: home attendance for the chosen home teams (some teams will play 3 at home before going to NYC) and also TV considerations for ESPN. UMass, unfortunately, I can see taking a trip to Memphis if they lose to Louisville in the morning. This would guarantee Lap his $$ and throw a monkey wrench into everything. As much as I would like to see postseason hoops, we need a change. I’ll keep my fingers crossed…
I love when ignrorant posters simply appear. If you knew what you were talking about - which you don't - then maybe someone would listen. In other threards, two seperate articles have been posted where NIT officials state that they DO use the RPI. Ad the fact that no team got in in last year with an RPI worse than 108 and you have enough evidence to conclude that you are an idiot.
He might be an idiot, but The Donald has one hot broad.
That's not an MP, that's a YP. Not My Problem, Your Problem.

econalum
Hall of Fame

Post by econalum » Sat Mar 12, 2005 9:39 am

Stick to Real Estate buddy, the NIT is unreachable for UM, thanks to a pathetic La Salle game sealing the non-deal. Even if we were in the A10 semis today, it would be less than 50-50.
Feeling entitled is JUST a feeling...