Is it too early to start talking Head Coaching Candidates?

Anything and everything that is UMass Minutemen Basketball.

Is it too early to start talking about Head Coach Candidates?

Yes
23%
No
77%

Total votes: 91

RTL
Sophomore

Is it too early to start talking Head Coaching Candidates?

Post by RTL » Tue Jan 25, 2005 1:51 pm

Maybe we'll run off 8 wins in a row, but I don't see it. I believe this Coach needs to make the NCAA's to keep his job. I never believed that an NIT appearance would help him get an extension. That being said; is it too early to talk Head Coaching candidates?
"Refuse To Lose"

Scott O
Senior

Post by Scott O » Tue Jan 25, 2005 1:57 pm

Are you nuts? Way too early. I never talk about new coaches til after 4pm.
Retarded artistically. Idiotic in other respects.

FRDreams II
Junior

Post by FRDreams II » Tue Jan 25, 2005 1:58 pm

Given Lap's track record I think an 8 win in a row streak is as likely as another blizzard this week. I see loses to richmond and fsu as givens and I am sure we will lay another stinker or two in between. So to answer your question. I would love to see Bobby G. from Manhatton take the helm.

LS71
Hall of Fame

Post by LS71 » Tue Jan 25, 2005 2:07 pm

It wasn't too early LAST year...
"Win without boasting, lose without crying." -- Julius Erving

InnervisionsUMASS
Hall of Fame

Post by InnervisionsUMASS » Tue Jan 25, 2005 2:18 pm

Steve Manguso
Stop waiting for UMass to do something big and help UMass do something big. - Shades

Chemical Ali
Senior

Post by Chemical Ali » Tue Jan 25, 2005 2:24 pm

Ronnie Arrow

Kosty
Hall of Fame

Post by Kosty » Tue Jan 25, 2005 2:24 pm

BOBBY GONZO, BOBBY GONZO, BOBBY GONZO.

There, I said it.

nale
Hall of Fame

Post by nale » Tue Jan 25, 2005 2:33 pm

Yes it a little early to me. I would like to let the players have more of the season without a lot of new coach talk going around. Let them focus on winning some games.

We just had a discussion on who we might want as a new coach a couple weeks ago.
No change in my mind.
http://umasshoops.com/board/viewtopic.p ... light=wojo
"This is my dream job''

eldonabe
Hall of Fame

Post by eldonabe » Tue Jan 25, 2005 2:40 pm

Kosty wrote:BOBBY GONZO, BOBBY GONZO, BOBBY GONZO.

There, I said it.
Why would he want to take a step backwards?

Leten55SP
Sophomore

Post by Leten55SP » Tue Jan 25, 2005 2:59 pm

FRDreams II wrote:Given Lap's track record I think an 8 win in a row streak is as likely as another blizzard this week. I see loses to richmond and fsu as givens and I am sure we will lay another stinker or two in between. So to answer your question. I would love to see Bobby G. from Manhatton take the helm.
The hiring of Gonzo would be at best a side step for him. Why would he come to the A-10, which is only slightly better, if any better than the MAC. Also, Manhattan is a better team now than UMass and had an NCAA tourney win last year. Gonzo is waiting for a job with one of the Big 5 conferences and will get it sooner or later. (BE, ACC, SEC, BIG 12, BIG 10)

isithow?
Junior

Post by isithow? » Tue Jan 25, 2005 3:53 pm

Manhatten is either in the MAAC, or MEAC, I forget which. Not the MAC, which is an entirely different thing, and equal too or better than the A-10 but still considered a mid-major, where as people wrongly think the A-10 is a High Major.

Leten55SP
Sophomore

Post by Leten55SP » Tue Jan 25, 2005 4:06 pm

OOps..yes typo there it is the MAAC..some pretty good midmajors there, like Manhattan, Niagara....there were many A10 versus MAAC games this year and the A10 won about 70% of the games, but I strongly agree that the A10 is a midmajor. And may have always been with a few teams that made a strong run only for a handful of years.. a la Temple and the E. Jones days, UMass in the 90's, URI to the sweet 16 in the late 80's, and elite 8 in late 90's, and St. joes last year

FRDreams II
Junior

Post by FRDreams II » Tue Jan 25, 2005 4:35 pm

[/quote]The hiring of Gonzo would be at best a side step for him. Why would he come to the A-10, which is only slightly better, if any better than the MAC. Also, Manhattan is a better team now than UMass and had an NCAA tourney win last year. Gonzo is waiting for a job with one of the Big 5 conferences and will get it sooner or later. (BE, ACC, SEC, BIG 12, BIG 10)

He had the opportunity last year when Miami and what everyone thought was the perfect fit for him St Johns. Neither team offered him an interview. The only downfall I think there is to hiring him is it will be a stepping stone. At this point we are irrelevent and it does not bother me. We need someone to step in and immediately turn this ship around and he is the one to do it. He would come to the A10 because the maac is much weaker than the A10 on the yearly basis. If not for Gonzo's Manhatten teams of late this would not even be a debate. He made that league a lot more attractive and as soon as he leaves the league will be weak again.

Bzzz!

nortonmalc
Freshman

Post by nortonmalc » Tue Jan 25, 2005 4:40 pm

People have short memories. It wasn't too long ago that the A-10 was putting 4-5 teams in the tourney regularly. It isn't very often that the A10 doesn't have a representative in the top 25, and many years we have a representative in the top 10. If that doesn't even qualify the A10 as being a better conference than the MAC, then something has really gone egregiously wrong.

FRDreams II
Junior

Post by FRDreams II » Tue Jan 25, 2005 4:46 pm

I agree. My bad on my previous post. I got all fired up and fucked up post. I dont get why the A10 gets shit on all the time. 2 elite eight teams last year and it seems every year we get more at large bids than expected. If we were not irrelevent as a program it would certainly help the leagues cause.