Lappas signs his first JUCO.....

Anything and everything that is UMass Minutemen Basketball.
Kosty
Hall of Fame

Lappas signs his first JUCO.....

Post by Kosty » Fri May 16, 2003 11:02 am

http://www.gazettenet.com/05162003/umass_ho/5903.htm

Also mentions that Lasme looking at Colorado.

Rudy
Junior

Post by Rudy » Fri May 16, 2003 11:09 am

I like this move. Message to Lasme and Maxwell, come here only if you want to be here. Some much needed mature depth for our backcourt. Plus by next year, he'll have all kinds of playing time to offer recruits with Cox gone and AA and this kid with one year left. We need some maturity to go along with our young talents.

philosopher
Hall of Fame

Post by philosopher » Fri May 16, 2003 11:21 am

:D Old dogs can learn new tricks. I like this addition. Granted, he isn't 7'2, doesn't handle the ball like Kobe in transition, or intimidate people like Shaq. But, then, this ain't the NBA.

kmac
Sophomore

Post by kmac » Fri May 16, 2003 11:30 am

"UMass is also chasing Fort Myers, Fla. forward Robert Ferguson, a 6-foot-9 combination forward. "

Ferguson signed with St. Joe's.

kmac
Sophomore

Post by kmac » Fri May 16, 2003 11:45 am

Also, according to NJHoops.com, "Lasme is reportedly visiting Manhattan this week and is also planning a visit to the College of Charleston."

Crank
Senior

Post by Crank » Fri May 16, 2003 12:19 pm

Those two destinations will be sure to get him to the NBA right quick! Who on earth is advising this poor kid?

Muhammed Saeed al-Sahaf
Sophomore
Location: I am at the side of almighty leader Steve Lappas. Where else would I be?

Post by Muhammed Saeed al-Sahaf » Fri May 16, 2003 1:24 pm

Crank wrote:Those two destinations will be sure to get him to the NBA right quick! Who on earth is advising this poor kid?
Perhaps Anthony Johnson!!!

They are becoming hysterical. This is the result of frustration.
Steve Lappas is the mightiest coach of all time!!! Death to all Anti-Lappas Spin Merchants who cannot see his greatness!!!!!!

HILLSSOUTH69

Post by HILLSSOUTH69 » Fri May 16, 2003 2:10 pm

I certainly like hearing that we are bringing good players (if he’s good) into the program. But, the fact that he was recruited at all implies that Lappas has all but given up on Lasme and Maxwell. Obviously, I don’t know this for a fact. But consider the situation from Chadwick’s point of view. He is looking for a situation where he can play. He does not want to sit on anyone’s bench for the next two years. What did Lappas say to him to convince him to come to UMass? Clearly, he told him he would play early and often. In other words, he will get lots of playing time. Lappas would only say that if he was all but certain that Lasme and Maxwell were not part of the program next year. I am glad that Chadwick is coming, but I don’t like the direction of the program. We should not be losing good players and the best recruits. I am not sure that we are headed in the right direction. Chadwick has to learn the system, and when he does, we only get to enjoy his talent for two years. Lappas himself once said he generally does not recruit from junior colleges. It seems like a desperation move to me!

Hall of Fame

Post by 78 » Fri May 16, 2003 2:17 pm

I am confused. If the signing period ended on Thursday, wouldn't that mean that Maxwell must have signed with someone? Otherwise, he might be risking not getting a scholarship. Can anyone explain why he would not sign with someone before the deadline? How does not signing benefit him?
Bamford has erased McCutcheon

Kosty
Hall of Fame

Post by Kosty » Fri May 16, 2003 2:34 pm

After the signing period, you can still sign on to a school....you just don't have to sign a binding LOI. The signing date only pertains to LOIs.

Kosty
Hall of Fame

Post by Kosty » Fri May 16, 2003 2:39 pm

HILLSSOUTH69 wrote:but I don’t like the direction of the program. We should not be losing good players and the best recruits. I am not sure that we are headed in the right direction.
I'm sorry.....did you miss this part of the article completely......

At Cecil, Chadwick displayed the shooting ability Lappas has been looking for. He shot almost 50 percent from the field and made 40-of-100 3-pointers as a sophomore. Chadwick averaged 14.1 points and 3.5 assists per game.

He was the MVP of the region while leading Cecil to the National Junior College Division II Final Four.

He was MVP of his region and lead the team to the National Junior College D2 Final Four. He's not good enough for you??? The that he hit on 40% of his 3 pointers and 50% of his shots overall doesn't do enough for you?? You have got to be kidding me.

As for Maxwell.....you still want him to come here after he verballed and then backed off because of some stupid rumor he read in the paper??? Sounds to me like the kid wasn't sold on coming here anyways......best of luck to him somewhere else.

lms
Freshman

Post by lms » Fri May 16, 2003 2:47 pm

correct me if I'm wrong but he doesn't come across as the blue-chip impact player that UMass needs to change the direction of the program, more like a solid role player who can make a limited contribution.

With LAsme's intention to leave and Maxwell's reluctance to sign how do people in the know rate this offseason. Did we make any progress in our goal to upgrade the product we put on the court?

DEM
Senior

Post by DEM » Fri May 16, 2003 3:09 pm

What's with the doom and gloom? This kid sounds like he could be a solid contributer to our team, and according to Mike Sullivan, Maxwell signed today as well.

As far as the talent goes, I think it will definitely be an upgrade from this year to next yr. Bowers, Maxwell, Briggs, Freeman, Chadwick to go with good returning talent like Viggiano and Anderson...I'd say we're looking pretty decent.

DEM
Senior

Post by DEM » Fri May 16, 2003 3:13 pm

lms wrote:correct me if I'm wrong but he doesn't come across as the blue-chip impact player that UMass needs to change the direction of the program, more like a solid role player who can make a limited contribution.
:?: Just curious, how did you come to that conclusion? You could be right, but I haven't found anything telling one way or the other about whether he'll be a role player or an impact player.

Rudy
Junior

Post by Rudy » Fri May 16, 2003 3:19 pm

I dont want to disparage Maxwell as he just signed with us, but he is not a blue chip prospect. I havent seen him ranked in any top 200 never mind 100. Im glad he signed, but this Chadwick kid sounds good and shouldnt be considered a drop off from Maxwell. He apperars to be a mature, experienced, strong, shooting combo guard who turned down two big east schools in favor of UMass. Sounds good to me.