Lorenzo Sutton

Anything and everything that is UMass Minutemen Basketball.
Quinn
Junior

Post by Quinn » Thu Aug 27, 2009 9:12 pm

I had created a a new thread for this article actually right before it got posted in this one (I deleted it as to not duplicate). But I almost feel it's still worth it's own thread.

Great work Ed. You've always gone above and beyond and I'm glad I got to meet you in person.

philosopher
Hall of Fame

Post by philosopher » Thu Aug 27, 2009 9:44 pm

InnervisionsUMASS wrote:Very well written... keep fighting the good fight, Ed.
Signman cannot fight this alone. There is room for everyone who can afford a $10.00 bill to join Ed. To stand with 'Zo. 'Zo is a symbol for many others who have needs, who have been bitch slapped by the circumstances of life, and need help. By helping 'Zo, you offer hope to the others.

xlgman
Hall of Fame

Post by xlgman » Thu Aug 27, 2009 10:55 pm

I've been concerned from the start about whether 'Zo would take advantage of the opportunity Ed was presenting him or just take advantage of the cash and waste the opportunity. I felt it was worth a try and I gladly parted with some of my hard earned cash at the Wonder Bar benefit and I'm glad to see that so many good things continue to happen. It's going to be a long hard trek though and Ed and his helpers deserve a lot of credit for doing so much. I hope this article encourages more people, UMass alums or not to help either financially or otherwise.

Life has no guarantees as 'Zo has seen - I really hope he can get the help he needs and see that this may be his last chance to reclaim some of the life he wishes he had. The more people that contriute and reach out to help him, the more likely he is to commit to re-entering society. The surgery, regular counseling, and support groups may do him wonders and allow him to eventually "pay it forward" many times over.

Thank you Ed. You inspire me. If you weren't doing what you are doing, the exasperating moments you've seen could have been tragic moments and 'Zo could have found himself on the street, locked up, or 6 feet under.

CrooksisRhyming
Senior

Post by CrooksisRhyming » Fri Aug 28, 2009 8:20 am

Well done Ed.
"Wherever I go, I’ll never be bashful about being from UMass, baby.” -Victor Cruz

SignMan
Hall of Fame

Post by SignMan » Fri Aug 28, 2009 2:24 pm

Thanks to all for your kind thoughts...
(xlg: outstanding)...

I have received dozens of emails with equally positive thoughts, from alums, relatives, high school classmates, clients, Chief Hastings, former UM admins and others...

I want to share the text of one that just arrived...
from a couple who retired, sold all their worldly possessions, and volunteer 24/7 as missionaries on a relatively poor Caribbean island my wife and I visit each year.

Dear Ed,
We had a Catholic retreat today. Father Frank spoke about people coming into our lives for a purpose. God sends people to help us. It could be for a moment, a season, or a life-time. Usually after the "need" has been satisfied there is a parting. It might be a mutual agreement to part or an argument, but when it happens its because it is time.

I am very proud of all that you have done for this man. You have given him love, hope, and charity. What a precious gift! Not just to him, but by example you gathered others to do the same.
God Bless you,

"Grace to you and Peace"
- 1 Corinthians 1:3a
The angle of incidence = the angle of reflection: REBOUND!

Doc Moonlight
Sophomore

Post by Doc Moonlight » Sat Aug 29, 2009 8:05 am

This is one of those odd moments in my life when I find myself totally...speechless. I'm not a cryer either, but I did tear up while reading the article. Well done, Ed, I'm proud to call you my friend.
"God bless Donald Duck, Vaudeville and Variety"

SignMan
Hall of Fame

Post by SignMan » Wed Nov 11, 2009 12:22 pm

It's been a while since the last post...

letting all know that we are continuing to work with Lorenzo...
a little different than before, not trying to do monumental things all at once.

I spoke with Lo yesterday, went over a few current things, giving him advice to follow up on one/two of them, and voluntarily took care of something that needed immediate attention for today.

Chats with Lo lately, albeit less frequently than before, have been quite good.

Tom called me this a.m. and we got each other up-to-date.

MikeUMA
Site Admin

Post by MikeUMA » Wed Jan 13, 2010 9:51 am

Speaking of <a href="http://umasshoops.com/cgi-bin/frameset. ... sHoops.com" target="_top">Lorenzo</a>, how is he doing lately?

MikeUMA
Site Admin

Post by MikeUMA » Mon Feb 01, 2010 10:25 am

Lorenzo is a couple games away from getting knocked a peg down the all-time scoring list. He's currently at #5 with 1731 points.

Ricky is at 1704 today. He might not catch 'Zo on Wednesday, but probably at Rhody on Saturday.

SignMan
Hall of Fame

Post by SignMan » Mon Feb 01, 2010 12:36 pm

we could use a high % shot maker like Lo now...

I spoke with Lo yesterday; previously the day of the Fordham game, when we chatted about 1/2 hr on my drive to UM, followed with texts to him throughout the game re: the score, and again post-game...

sounds like things are somewhat better, but far from ideal.

He seems to be a little more focused, and I have to attribute at least some of it to the help we all provided.

The finances are certainly better, but not what you & I would want to be at. I have a few $inquiries from posters; and, my feelings are same as my last comment on it...that, if anyone wants to help a little (more), I can apply it directly to his utilities....just contact me the usual way(s)...

The benefits are coming in...and that has leveraged his situation a lot...

I told him that Dana Dingle asked for him on Sunday and he liked that; said he knew him ... I think earlier 90s...

Medical follow-up will be in Atlanta; and, if that does not work out, I can follow up with a second referral here, in Boston, at one of our fine teaching facilites...

The church connections, to the best of my knowledge, have not been followed-up on, at least per Lo; so, I will do more on my end, especially now that my own med situations have gotten to the point whereby I feel a hell of a lot better than in a long time, meaning the past 1.5 yr.+...

Even if we don't get any further with this, I think we have done a lot of positive things, giving him more hope and impetus to further help himself forward...

tdmass
Senior

Post by tdmass » Mon Feb 01, 2010 3:05 pm

Indeed, a Job WELL done! Bless you signman.

SignMan
Hall of Fame

Post by SignMan » Mon Mar 22, 2010 4:43 pm

I spoke with Lo this afternoon.
He is in good spirits.
Without getting into any specifics, he does have an appointment soon to meet with a reconstructive surgeon...so, all of you who have shown so much compassion over the past 15 months, please think your best thoughts for things outstanding to develop...

SignMan
Hall of Fame

Post by SignMan » Sat Mar 27, 2010 9:55 am

special thanks to Senior Citizen...a great heads up by you...
the three pics you sent me of Lorenzo from the 80s Gazette are awesome...
they will be a nice surprise and addition to his picture collection...

senior citizen
Sophomore

Post by senior citizen » Sat Mar 27, 2010 1:02 pm

I was thrilled to find the photos and delighted to send them to you for forwarding to Lorenzo. While I, of course, appreciate the thank you you send to me, all of us on this message board thank you for the incredible work you've done. It's a mitzvah from a real mentsch.

SignMan
Hall of Fame

Post by SignMan » Sat Jan 08, 2011 9:14 am

I have spoken with Lo 4-5 times in the past couple of weeks, including this a.m.; and alum friend Tom, who has been referred to as my partner in helping out, also spoke with Lo recently.

We are very pleased that Lo has been sounding very good, very upbeat, every time we have spoken; that, in our opinions, the work done and contributions by all who helped out, have gone far to help stabilize things for him and move ahead even more.

We briefly discussed current UM hoops this a.m., and I told Lo if he had one more year of eligibilty left, I'd have him here posthaste.