Lorenzo Sutton

Anything and everything that is UMass Minutemen Basketball.
MullinsManiac
Senior

Lorenzo Sutton

Post by MullinsManiac » Fri Dec 24, 2004 9:21 pm

This is a must read for those of you who remember Lorenzo Sutton (1984-88):

http://albanyherald.net/sportsarchive/1 ... 11903.html

The story's more than a year old, but definitely food for thought.

fbiman
Sophomore

Post by fbiman » Sat Dec 25, 2004 2:00 pm

It's a shame that so many bad things have happened to him. I remember him from when I was a student. We would always chant his name in the DC when we saw him and he would always come by and say hello.

Does anyone know if there is any way we can help? Maybe some kind of donation or fund?
That's not an MP, that's a YP. Not My Problem, Your Problem.

Ewan's Dad
Sophomore

Post by Ewan's Dad » Mon Dec 27, 2004 7:46 pm

Lorenzo had a tremendous vertical leap and a quick, smooth relase on his jump shot that made him tough to defend. Just checked and he is still 4th on the all-time scoring list with 1731. Had a 39-point game against Rutgers that is tied for second for most points in a single game in UMass history. He and Carl Smith made a pretty good backcourt. Unfortunately, I dont think the team's frontcourt was good in that era and the team never won more than 10 or 11 games. This story is about a year old. Any updates on Zo? Wish him the best.
There's nowt wrong wi' gala luncheons

DS Bruce Robertson
Senior

Post by DS Bruce Robertson » Thu Dec 30, 2004 3:13 pm

I think I am going to add the lack of response to this post to the list of things that make me sad about this story.
You know, say what you will about America, 13 bucks still gets you a hell of a lot of mice.

philosopher
Hall of Fame

Post by philosopher » Thu Dec 30, 2004 3:33 pm

The lack of response can come from a number of reasons. For instance, while Lorenzo has my sympathy, I rather think he doesn't want that. He was a warrior on the court, and probably more than anything else he wants a fair chance to make something positive out of his life. And I am clueless as to what I could say that would be of help.

You sadness at the lack of response is, however, noted and appreciated. At least you moved me enough to respond. Maybe others will respond as well. Perhaps some with real help that Lorenzo would be willing to use. Hey, tomorrow is New Year's Eve. Perhaps it can be the start of more than a new year for Lorenzo.

DS Bruce Robertson
Senior

Post by DS Bruce Robertson » Thu Dec 30, 2004 3:52 pm

I think it'd be great to start some kind of something to help the guy get his face fixed. I just can't spearhead it myself right now. But I could pitch in if someone else did.
You know, say what you will about America, 13 bucks still gets you a hell of a lot of mice.

CRR_
Senior

Post by CRR_ » Thu Dec 30, 2004 4:13 pm

DS Bruce Robertson wrote:I think it'd be great to start some kind of something to help the guy get his face fixed. I just can't spearhead it myself right now. But I could pitch in if someone else did.
Maybe somebody who writes about UMass basketball for a living could do a story on Lo. It's kind of sad that his story had to be told only in Albany, Georgia, instead of Amherst, too.
"For the record, they didn't steal the laptops; they sold them."

LS71
Hall of Fame

Post by LS71 » Thu Dec 30, 2004 5:01 pm

Can't help but wonder if UMass is aware of his situation and whether the university can get involved to help an alum that represented the school so well.
"Win without boasting, lose without crying." -- Julius Erving

philosopher
Hall of Fame

Post by philosopher » Thu Dec 30, 2004 9:38 pm

Sign Man, you still around? Can you at least point us in the proper direction to get something rolling? Let me know by pm if needed.

VoxPop
Senior

Post by VoxPop » Thu Dec 30, 2004 11:49 pm

Seems to me the University should do something for this guy - get him to Umass Medical Center and see what can be done. Zo was THE MAN in his day, sad to see that he has had a rough time.
Insert cornball rah rah slogan rhyming w/"Ford" here.

whiterhino42
Junior

Post by whiterhino42 » Fri Dec 31, 2004 9:40 pm

If anyone figures something out let me know because I'd donate...I wish the guy could get his face and brain fixed but sounds like he's not keen on the brain part so the face would be a nice start....it's so sad to see things like this, can't blame him for living in the past.

Feato
Senior

Post by Feato » Mon Jan 03, 2005 12:40 am

well the article said before that he could have had the brain done for free iaround '92, but chose not to...
MF

I'm a professional smartass.

MullinsManiac
Senior

Post by MullinsManiac » Fri Jun 17, 2005 8:20 pm

Seeing the post from Horace Neysmith made me think of this thread. Anybody know how Lorenzo's doing nowadays?
MullinsManiac is on a drug ... it's called MullinsManiac.

Umass90
Senior

Post by Umass90 » Mon Jun 20, 2005 11:45 am

Wow -- that was the first time I saw that article. I used to love watching him play :cry:

MullinsManiac
Senior

Post by MullinsManiac » Sat Jan 10, 2009 2:38 pm

With the '80s team being honored next Saturday, now's as good a time as any to resurrect this thread. Anybody know if Lo is going to be there?

Oops, the link at the top of this thread doesn't work anymore; here's the story:

http://albanyherald.net/archives/Sports ... 11903.html
MullinsManiac is on a drug ... it's called MullinsManiac.