Boston Univ

Anything and everything that is UMass Minutemen Basketball.
MikeUMA
Site Admin

Boston Univ

Post by MikeUMA » Fri Dec 24, 2004 4:57 pm

Is it just me, or does the upcoming BU game look like a big stumbling block? Vigg will be questionable. AA is out. And BU is off to a 7-2 start against a schedule that's nothing to sneeze at.

They beat Michigan in Ann Arbor by 11. (They beat 'em there in 2003 also.) They have 3 other road victories. We haven't even had 3 road games. They're 2-0 vs the Atlantic 10 (home against Fordham, Rhody in Kingston). They only lost by 6 to BC in Conte. It looks like the got their bad game out of their system early, losing their opener to Holy Cross.

I'm concerned.

Minutemanfan
Junior

Post by Minutemanfan » Fri Dec 24, 2004 5:01 pm

It's Amherst community night so Coblyn's fans should be there to cheer him on.

Does anybody know why Springfield's Pat Martin left the BU team?
Last edited by Minutemanfan on Fri Dec 24, 2004 5:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

InnervisionsUMASS
Hall of Fame

Post by InnervisionsUMASS » Fri Dec 24, 2004 5:15 pm

I am very worried about BU.... I just hope that the players know how good BU can be. Otherwise, we are screwed.
Stop waiting for UMass to do something big and help UMass do something big. - Shades

chrisL04
Junior

Post by chrisL04 » Fri Dec 24, 2004 8:57 pm

After looking at what BU has done and our given situation, this game scares the ever living sh!t out of me.

We played BU 3 or 4 years ago in Boston. I went to the game and we destroyed them.

(On a side note, I distinctly remember one particularly goofy Umass fan shouting out "You Can't Drive in a Blizzard!!" after Ronnell stopped one of their 5'11" guards from getting to the basket. But I digress...)

The fact that this team has been pretty bad in the past and now looks quite competative really concerns me. As it's been stated before, Lappas Umass teams have a hard time getting up for teams that they "should" beat. By reputation we "should" beat them, but in reality this looks like a pretty good match up. A recipe for a potential blowout.

With BC coming up just a few days later, followed by some big a-10 games I feel like a loss to BU puts us at risk to start a tailspin. I'm not entirley sure why, and I don't know if anyone feels the same way, but I feel like this team is teetering on a cliff right now... we could easily get on a roll a tear things up in the A-10 or we could just as easily fall and fall hard. Again, just the way I feel without a rational reason for it.

Lets hope they can dig in and pull out the W. Go Umass!!

On another side note... BU just beat Canisius a team that only a few days earlier lost one of their players, Richard Jones, during a workout. He collapsed and it was attributed to an enlarged heart. Give alot of credit to those kids for getting up a playing to honor their teamate. It's a sad story, but I reccomend reading it: http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/columns/s ... id=1951750

UMass87
Hall of Fame

Post by UMass87 » Fri Dec 24, 2004 11:55 pm

Chris - I don't think this BU team is necessarily in the "should beat" category - I really doubt anyone on th eteam is taking them lightly. Wolff is a solid coach who has put together a very competetive team. Without both Vigs and AA it will be a real challenge - I have the fealing they'll rise to it.

Hoops411
Junior

Post by Hoops411 » Sat Dec 25, 2004 1:28 am

I believe Pat left the team because of his playing time. I think he will be going to Trinity College next year.
Just as we do the lord
WE BELIEVE IN FORD!!!

chrisL04
Junior

Post by chrisL04 » Sat Dec 25, 2004 2:22 am

UMass87 wrote:Chris - I don't think this BU team is necessarily in the "should beat" category - I really doubt anyone on th eteam is taking them lightly. Wolff is a solid coach who has put together a very competetive team. Without both Vigs and AA it will be a real challenge - I have the fealing they'll rise to it.
In the past they've been a "should beat." They're much better this year. That was my whole point..

Minutemanfan
Junior

Post by Minutemanfan » Sat Dec 25, 2004 3:20 am

If UMass is the team Steve Lappas has said that it is then BU should still be a "should beat" team.

I've heard bad things about Wolf and Pat Martin's situation. I hope UMass kicks BU's ass!!

Swampy
Hall of Fame

Post by Swampy » Sat Dec 25, 2004 10:16 am

chrisL04 wrote:We played BU 3 or 4 years ago in Boston. I went to the game and we destroyed them.
Yep, we spanked them pretty good.
(On a side note, I distinctly remember one particularly goofy Umass fan shouting out "You Can't Drive in a Blizzard!!" after Ronnell stopped one of their 5'11" guards from getting to the basket. But I digress...)
You don't digress, Blizz had a huge game that night. He had SEVEN blocks and FOURTEEN boards! He deserves credit for one of his best games as a Umie.

A BU side note...
We had pizza with some of the BU players that night after the game.
College sports, the bare bones. Players have a game, grab a few slices and walk back to the dorm. Ya gotta love it.

Another BU side note...
I met zultr that night and my life has not been the same. Whatta guy!

And, on another BU side note...
I liked Jackie Leaman a lot and I hope his wife and daughter have a decent day today.

scumming
Sophomore

Post by scumming » Sat Dec 25, 2004 10:18 am

UMass will have some early scares against BU but I think being at home right after Christmas, that they will pull it out by 8-10 points. I'm looking forward to seeing the hott shooting of Art Bowers to continue in this game and for Ray Ray to post another double double. go umass
i know my facts

tonymontana
Junior

Post by tonymontana » Sun Dec 26, 2004 5:47 am

Hopefully all the boys come back on time for practise after being away with their families.
you wanna a job?........call me tommorah!

fbiman
Sophomore

Post by fbiman » Sun Dec 26, 2004 7:14 am

tonymontana wrote:Hopefully all the boys come back on time for practise after being away with their families.
Why wouldn't they?
That's not an MP, that's a YP. Not My Problem, Your Problem.

UmAstudent
Senior

Post by UmAstudent » Sun Dec 26, 2004 8:35 am

fbiman wrote:
tonymontana wrote:Hopefully all the boys come back on time for practise after being away with their families.
Why wouldn't they?
Its been an issue in the past...

pierce34
Junior

Post by pierce34 » Sun Dec 26, 2004 10:17 pm

right now we're at 5-3. i'm fine with that, and i'd bet a lotta people around amherst are pretty happy with that as well. i hope these guys continue to progress this year, but i'm not sold yet. right around this time last year, we finished off albany for our 3rd win in a row to move up to 5-4 going into the uconn game. those three consecutive wins were won by 18,7, and 16 respectively. after that, the wheels came right off. the season was over after that uconn game. we've had some nice wins this year, but when you think about it, what's really changed so far? i don't think we need the next 4 games to see where we are. if we can take out bu and bc, we should know exactly where this team stands. if this umass basketball team really is "going to be one the most improved teams in the country" (lappas), these next two will really show us what they're made of. SHOW up for 40 minutes on tuesday night and SHOW us what kind of team you really are.

tonymontana
Junior

Post by tonymontana » Mon Dec 27, 2004 1:20 am

Honestly, i think our record is where its suppose to be 5-3. Most people thought it would be worse, but its at a respectable point right now. The Northeastern loss was bad, but the UConn game was a shock,so they even out imo. If this team is improved, it will beat BU and either BC or Temple if not all 3, The games are at home, BU is tough, but we should beat them. We took BC to OT on the road last year, and if not for Gabe Lee's and Ray's FT misses, that game doesn't even go into OT. We beat Temple last yr at home, and lost to them in 2OT down there. I'm confident going into these games, however Anderson will be missed vs BU and Viggiano's status is still unclear.
you wanna a job?........call me tommorah!