Anything and everything that is UMass Minutemen Basketball.
FRDreams
Sophomore

Post by FRDreams » Wed Apr 02, 2003 3:40 pm

Michael Lasme's assist to turnover ratios last year. AA's 1.6. AA was 10th in the A 10 in assists, and lasme was 16'th. AA was 17th in asst. to turnover ratio and lasme was out of the top twenty five. These are stats for a player who played primarily two guard. It would probably be worse if he had the ball more. I am still in disbelief that he feels he is an nba caliber point. His best fit position is point but he has not proven to be a great, never mind dominant player in the A10 which you should be if you have pro aspirations. This kid is gonna realize he made a big mistake. I guess this kid is not as tough as I thought. Too bad. Go 04-05 minutmen!

whiterhino42
Junior

Ditto

Post by whiterhino42 » Wed Apr 02, 2003 3:46 pm

:evil: I agree I'm starting to think he's more of a wimp than anything else. I mean come on, thinks he's going to play in the NBA but is afraid to compete with the likes of fellow A10 college players! I have no respect for the kid now at all. He needs to get a grip. I mean if Monty Mack didn't get a shot at the NBA Mike Lasme certainly will not! The kids got rocks in his brain. He'll get less time anywhere else he goes unless it's maybe a Fordham type team and he'll NEVER be NBA calliber. If he was we would have seen it this year, and other than some flashes of good college player here and there, I saw nothing to make me think of the NBA!

DEM
Senior

Post by DEM » Wed Apr 02, 2003 5:24 pm

The language here is a little strong. I certainly wouldn't call Lasme a wimp after the toughness he has shown on the court, playing as hard as any player on the team, with some major injuries no less.

Of course we're disappointed for him and for the team. But still, keep things in perspective...he's a young adult who is not thinking logically...it doesn't make him a bad person. Hopefully both he and UMass will succeed despite his decision.

lms
Freshman

Post by lms » Sat Apr 05, 2003 3:27 am

From where I sit, Mike L has yet to transfer anywhere, yet...is it possible that he'll have the oportunity to reconsider what appears to be a bad decision?

zombiewoof
Sophomore

Post by zombiewoof » Sat Apr 05, 2003 12:12 pm

I can understand him not liking the area (I love it, but sleepy college towns aren't for everyone). Considering a pro soccer career is also undertandable, his family back home is involved in a precarious situation.

Not wanting to play behind AA for two more seasons is almost reasonable, so why not redshirt and shoot for starting point for the last 2 years? Not wanting to compete for time with a freshman is absurd and probably the source of the "wimp" comments.

By leaving, Lasme is adding a healthy dose of pain to an already ailing program. If he stays in college but doesn't get to the NBA (highly doubtful with the turnovers and cold shooting from this year) then I hope city life was worth the decision.
This aggression will not stand, man

DEM
Senior

Post by DEM » Sat Apr 05, 2003 12:52 pm

I hope that Lasme changes his mind. I know some of his motives for leaving come across as a little selfish and short sighted, but it's so strange and surprising to me because he never seemed to be bad for the team chemistry. He never really played selfishly, in fact, I remember the coach once saying he needed to be shoot more and be more aggressive about finding his own shot.

I don't see Lappas having enough time this spring to fill Lasme's vacated scholarship (with a quality player) in addition to the remaining two we have to give, so I think he will have a chance to change his mind.

If he doesn't decide to stay though, I don't think it's going hurt the program too much. Sure he was pretty good for a rookie and had potential, but in my opinion, he wasn't even the most talented newcomer on the team last yr (Viggiano). We still have some talent coming back, and we have plenty of talent coming in. I think we'll be okay for the future regardless of what Lasme decides to do.

Floyd
Hall of Fame

Post by Floyd » Sun Apr 06, 2003 8:56 am

:?: Anyone know what Lasme's plans are? I would hope they would welcome him back should he choose to do so. He may be reaching a bit with the talk of the NBA, but the kid is talented, and maybe with what's going on at home, the injuries, and the poor season the team had, he thought he needed a change. Tough call, but I would like to see him stay and help turn things around