Lasme leaves CU

Anything and everything that is UMass Minutemen Basketball.
Used to be VOR
Hall of Fame

Post by Used to be VOR » Thu Jul 15, 2004 1:13 pm

DS Bruce Robertson wrote:The wind blows indeed. You don't know if there has been some drastic change in his life situation since he decided to come to UMass. Maybe it didn't and he's just getting bad advice. I don't know either. It's just foolish to make definitive declaritve statements about his behavior when all you can do is speculate about the reasons for it.
You mentioned that he did not like Amherst...and might not have liked the weather in Colorado. I am simply saying that those things are pretty constant...so perhaps that if those were the true reasons (not an over-inflated view of his NBA chances) he left... he might have been better off making another choice.

UMass87
Hall of Fame

Post by UMass87 » Thu Jul 15, 2004 2:00 pm

He';ll probably like the weather in Portugal. Boulder has significantly nicer weather than Amherst. He seems to be moving toward warmer climes.

obg
Senior

Post by obg » Thu Jul 15, 2004 5:49 pm

When he left he was interviewed. In that interview he said that he was glad to get out of there.
They may not be great, but they won't be boring!

Used to be VOR
Hall of Fame

Post by Used to be VOR » Thu Jul 15, 2004 6:01 pm

He also most prominently spoke about playing point guard to get a shot at the NBA. He also praised Lappas. But I am sure that part did not interest you.

deke
Junior

Post by deke » Thu Jul 15, 2004 8:10 pm

Used to be VOR wrote:He also most prominently spoke about playing point guard to get a shot at the NBA.
I think this is all we need to know to understand that he is sadly misguided, whether it be his own miscalculation or someone close to him.

VoxPop
Senior

Post by VoxPop » Thu Jul 15, 2004 9:42 pm

I love the notion advanced by some here that walking away from a full boat d1 scholarship in order to play club ball in portugal is some sort of brilliant unassailable decison. How dare we question the wisdom of the choices of a 20-22 yr old basketball player!
Insert cornball rah rah slogan rhyming w/"Ford" here.

krkess
Senior

Post by krkess » Fri Jul 16, 2004 9:40 am

DS Bruce Robertson wrote: How much money does his mother make? How many brothers and sisters does he have? What is her health status? What is the health status of everyone in his family? How much money is he getting? How long is the contract? What level of success does this league have in sending players to higher profile European leagues with more lucrative contracts? Does he have a girlfriend? A fiancee? A wife? Is she pregnant? Do they have a child? If so how many? If so, what is their health status? How did he like Boulder? How does he like cold weather? How does he like school? How does he like America? How does he feel about the American Government? Is he worried about getting blown up by a terrorist because our president is a shit eating maggot? How has he handled whatever racism he has undoubtedly encountered?

Clearly you know all of these things (and likely things I haven't even wondered about yet) because you can't accept that there might be things you don't know.
I have never presumed to know what goes on in Mike Lasme's head. All of these questions you have listed pertain to why he left Colorado and I don't know or care why he left there. My only issue is that he left UMass presumably to put himself in a better position to reach the NBA. He clearly has not done that nor did I think at the time of his leaving UMass that is was consistent with his stated goal.

krkess
Senior

Post by krkess » Fri Jul 16, 2004 9:42 am

deke wrote:
Used to be VOR wrote:He also most prominently spoke about playing point guard to get a shot at the NBA.
I think this is all we need to know to understand that he is sadly misguided, whether it be his own miscalculation or someone close to him.
Thank you for adding some sanity to this discussion.

krkess
Senior

Post by krkess » Fri Jul 16, 2004 9:50 am

[quote="DS Bruce Robertson"]
......Is he worried about getting blown up by a terrorist because our president is a shit eating maggot?.....
./quote]

For someone I always considered to be one of the brightest contributors here, I can't believe you actually wrote this and that no one else has called you on it.

DS Bruce Robertson
Senior

Post by DS Bruce Robertson » Fri Jul 16, 2004 9:58 am

VoxPop wrote:I love the notion advanced by some here that walking away from a full boat d1 scholarship in order to play club ball in portugal is some sort of brilliant unassailable decison. How dare we question the wisdom of the choices of a 20-22 yr old basketball player!
Nobody said it was brilliant, although it very well could be given that nobody knows why he did so and which problems this action may have solved. It could also be a poor decision, but you don't know that either. You're not questioning the wisdom, you're calling it a mistake. Quite a difference. I question the wisdom, but then I know that I don't know enough about why he did what he did to come to a conclusion.

Funny, you don't have a problem with the obviously terrible decision to hire Steve Lappas despite evidence that would fill the grand canyon that he has been an unmitigated disaster for UMass and the only thing you can ever put forth to defend your ludicrous position is the equivicol "UMass will kick ass in the A-10" yet you're hell bent on declaring a situation about which you have no clue as being a mistake. Ever the contrarian, Papillon.
You know, say what you will about America, 13 bucks still gets you a hell of a lot of mice.

DS Bruce Robertson
Senior

Post by DS Bruce Robertson » Fri Jul 16, 2004 10:06 am

krkess wrote:
DS Bruce Robertson wrote: How much money does his mother make? How many brothers and sisters does he have? What is her health status? What is the health status of everyone in his family? How much money is he getting? How long is the contract? What level of success does this league have in sending players to higher profile European leagues with more lucrative contracts? Does he have a girlfriend? A fiancee? A wife? Is she pregnant? Do they have a child? If so how many? If so, what is their health status? How did he like Boulder? How does he like cold weather? How does he like school? How does he like America? How does he feel about the American Government? Is he worried about getting blown up by a terrorist because our president is a shit eating maggot? How has he handled whatever racism he has undoubtedly encountered?

Clearly you know all of these things (and likely things I haven't even wondered about yet) because you can't accept that there might be things you don't know.
I have never presumed to know what goes on in Mike Lasme's head. All of these questions you have listed pertain to why he left Colorado and I don't know or care why he left there. My only issue is that he left UMass presumably to put himself in a better position to reach the NBA. He clearly has not done that nor did I think at the time of his leaving UMass that is was consistent with his stated goal.
I'd say leaving a Steve Lappas burdened UMass program for Colorado and the Big 12 put him in a better position for the NBA (whether he's fond of Lappas personally or not). What I don't know is why he's no longer at Colorado or why he felt Portugal was a more attractive option, as I don't think going to Portugal is a better avenue to the NBA. I do think he has a better shot at going to the NBA on this path than had he stayed at UMass. And I do know that circumstances that may or may not have developed may or may not have altered his long-term goals. Is this really not something you're willing to allow for? Or is it fairer to just dismiss him as immature, impetuous or deluded without knowing what his motivations are?
You know, say what you will about America, 13 bucks still gets you a hell of a lot of mice.

DS Bruce Robertson
Senior

Post by DS Bruce Robertson » Fri Jul 16, 2004 10:09 am

krkess wrote:
DS Bruce Robertson wrote: ......Is he worried about getting blown up by a terrorist because our president is a shit eating maggot?.....
./quote]

For someone I always considered to be one of the brightest contributors here, I can't believe you actually wrote this and that no one else has called you on it.
Ok, he's not really feces eating larva. He and his administration just displays the attributed colloquial characteristics of same. And because Lasme isn't from America (we're #1!!) , maybe he shares a very common world view of that walking dickhead and grew exasperated of being around people so backwards thinking as to believe that Bush is anything but an embarassment.

krkess
Senior

Post by krkess » Fri Jul 16, 2004 11:46 am

DS Bruce Robertson wrote: I'd say leaving a Steve Lappas burdened UMass program for Colorado and the Big 12 put him in a better position for the NBA (whether he's fond of Lappas personally or not).

Whatever anyone thinks of Steve Lappas, he has shown the capability of getting many of his players into the NBA. Mike Lasme had the full support of his coach and had a sure thing in terms of getting a chance to showcase his skills. While the Big 12 is a higher profile league, the A-10 still gets more than enough NBA scouts to its games and publicity to give a player with NBA caliber skills a fair shot at the NBA.
DS Bruce Robertson wrote: .......And I do know that circumstances that may or may not have developed may or may not have altered his long-term goals. Is this really not something you're willing to allow for? Or is it fairer to just dismiss him as immature, impetuous or deluded without knowing what his motivations are?
Again, I'm not being critical of his departure from Colorado, because I really don't know what his situation was once he left UMass. As to implying that I have categorized him with the words you have used above is a conclusion you have pulled purely out of your imagination because it can't be based on anything I have written anywhere within this thread.

bdance
Junior

Post by bdance » Fri Jul 16, 2004 12:12 pm

Bruce has a better chance off taking over the Slim Fast Endorsement job from Whoopi than we have of understanding what motivates Mike Lasme. Where's that slacker Board Admin when you need him?

FRDreams
Sophomore

Post by FRDreams » Fri Jul 16, 2004 12:49 pm

This thread is way to long considering the player has not even been here for over a year. Everyone sounds like the indian tribe in the first major league debating the home run hit off of Ricky Vaughn. "It was too high. It was to far. Who gives a shit it's gone". Please enough already. Go Umass!