Lasme leaves CU

Anything and everything that is UMass Minutemen Basketball.
UMassHoops
Senior

Night School

Post by UMassHoops » Tue Jul 13, 2004 6:17 pm

Whether Lasme is getting bad advice or making the decisions himself, I have to agree that the decisions have been questionable.

That's my opinion.

Then again I think he should have stuck with soccer. What did he score 7 goals in one game coming out of high school?

The most annoying part of this thread are those that seem to be putting forward the argument that because Lasme made the decisions for himself, nobody should presume to question it. Why not? He might just be making lousy decisions, and with the limited evidence I have read, I would say he is.

I'll give you the example of my father. Coming out of high school he was a star football player and recruited by Syracuse and several Ivy League schools. At the time his mother was adamant that he would not play football in college. She thought the risk of injury was too high and not worth it. She couldn't see the opportunity that an Ivy League school would present and my dad being a good son took her advice. My dad was a good student, but borderline Ivy League without the added football component. So he got lousy guidance from his mother, and ended up not getting into the Ivy League schools on academics alone, and ending up enrolling at Lehigh University.

After about a month into school he decided, the heck with what mom wants, I'm playing football. Independence day. He went out and made the team. So now he was playing without a scholarship (which he could have had to Syracuse), not in the Ivy League and his mom was pissed at him. Then because he was still quite immature, he ended up partying like Animal House and by his sophomore year he flunked out of school. He then got a job, got married and started attending night school. Seven years later he had his degree.

The point is that he was making these decisions and they were bad ones. He could have used some better advice. Anyone looking from the outside could have concluded he was making some bad decisions. Eventually things have worked out great, he has been very successful and is a very happy man. So I'm hopeful and confident the same will happen with Mike Lasme.

However he still should be playing soccer for a 4 year University and earning his degree! That's my story and I'm sticking to it!

See you in night school...

VoxPop
Senior

Post by VoxPop » Wed Jul 14, 2004 6:10 am

Lasme has given up a full boat college scholarship at 2 different universities in order to go to portugal and try to play a sport professionally that he has not played in an organized manner in over a year and that he was not good enough at to have started or earned any all conference honors at the collegiate level. If Lasme is not good enough, gets injured or if the coaches don't like him for whatever reason, he will be cut and tossed aside. Hopefully he can then call Robertson for a DJ job because he has burned his scholarship and his best opportunities to acquire a college degree and real long term earning potential.

Alternatively, Lasme could be enterering his 3d season at UMass getting major minutes of PT and athletic honors, acquiring leadership skills, earning a college degree and planning his next step either in professional sports or in any field of endeavor that his college education and his dreams prepared him for. In short this kid could have written his own ticket.

When/if Lasme washes out of european ball and has at best 1/2 a college education and no degree I hope mister robertson will stick around to tell us all what a wonderful series of decisions Mike made.

Its pretty clear that other individuals influenced his poor decision to go to CU and not play basketball and it is even more clear that an agent has polluted his thinking and convinced him to leave CU for portugal so that the agent can earn his cut. Robertson's theory that Lasme coordinated all these moves on his own without any assistance and advice is so naive its hilarious. :P
Insert cornball rah rah slogan rhyming w/"Ford" here.

obg
Senior

Post by obg » Wed Jul 14, 2004 7:03 am

We don't know and we never will know why M. Lasme made the decisions that he made. All of this supposition on the topic is nonsense.
They may not be great, but they won't be boring!

Chemical Ali
Senior

Post by Chemical Ali » Wed Jul 14, 2004 7:38 am

VoxPop wrote:acquiring leadership skills
Because that is what Steve Lappas coached players do. Thank you, everyone. Please be sure to tip your waitress!

krkess
Senior

Post by krkess » Wed Jul 14, 2004 3:12 pm

Bottom Line: Here it is one year after Mike Lasme transferred from UMass in his quest to reach his stated goal of making the NBA as a point guard. He gave up a starting position with a school that is within a league more than capable of giving him enough exposure to make the NBA(if he was indeed good enough) . He wasted a year in Colorado because of the NCAA's transfer rule and is now leaving without playing one minute for them. He is going to play ball in Portugal, a place that I doubt has ever developed an NBA caliber player(I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong). But considering that the vast majority of NBA players came from Division I basketball schools and he has forever forfeited the right to play there again, I believe he is now further from his goal of reaching the NBA than he ever was, the only reason I ever read from him explaining why he left UMass. Again, that is hardly a series of choices that make sense to me.

VoxPop
Senior

Post by VoxPop » Wed Jul 14, 2004 7:29 pm

How dare you judge Lasme's decision making. So what if he has yet to be a major contributor on a D1 team, so what if he has terminated his ability to play D1 ball, so what if he has thrown away a free college education - Lasme has brilliantly opted for the basketball mecca of portugal where he might catch on for a minimum contract w/a lower level club who is willing to take a shot at just about anybody who has not played in 2 yrs. How dare you challenge the wisdom of those career moves !@!

Seriously: I hope he stays healthy, proves us all wrong and gets a college degree because he will need it.

DS Bruce Robertson
Senior

Post by DS Bruce Robertson » Wed Jul 14, 2004 8:50 pm

VoxPop wrote:Lasme has given up a full boat college scholarship at 2 different universities in order to go to portugal and try to play a sport professionally that he has not played in an organized manner in over a year and that he was not good enough at to have started or earned any all conference honors at the collegiate level. If Lasme is not good enough, gets injured or if the coaches don't like him for whatever reason, he will be cut and tossed aside. Hopefully he can then call Robertson for a DJ job because he has burned his scholarship and his best opportunities to acquire a college degree and real long term earning potential.

Alternatively, Lasme could be enterering his 3d season at UMass getting major minutes of PT and athletic honors, acquiring leadership skills, earning a college degree and planning his next step either in professional sports or in any field of endeavor that his college education and his dreams prepared him for. In short this kid could have written his own ticket.

When/if Lasme washes out of european ball and has at best 1/2 a college education and no degree I hope mister robertson will stick around to tell us all what a wonderful series of decisions Mike made.

Its pretty clear that other individuals influenced his poor decision to go to CU and not play basketball and it is even more clear that an agent has polluted his thinking and convinced him to leave CU for portugal so that the agent can earn his cut. Robertson's theory that Lasme coordinated all these moves on his own without any assistance and advice is so naive its hilarious. :P
You have no idea what is going on in Mike Lasme's life which means you have no idea what you are talking about which is why your comments are fucking preposterous. I don't say that he did it on his own. I'm saying that you people don't know why he did what he did so saying it makes no sense is absurd. I don't know that his decisions were wonderful. I don't make such presumptions. I allow for the possibility that not being allowed to make any money whatsoever wasn't the best option for him and for his family right now no matter what trajectory his career may have taken had he stayed at Colorado and that necessity might have driven his actions. He might have negotiated money to be used for his tuition in his contract. You have absolutely no idea what you're talking about and yet you insist on saying that his behavior is puzzling. VoxPapillon, stick to being wrong about the human loser that is Steve Lappas and leave the armchair career counseloring to people who have the first idea what is going on in his life.
You know, say what you will about America, 13 bucks still gets you a hell of a lot of mice.

DS Bruce Robertson
Senior

Post by DS Bruce Robertson » Wed Jul 14, 2004 8:58 pm

krkess wrote:Bottom Line: Here it is one year after Mike Lasme transferred from UMass in his quest to reach his stated goal of making the NBA as a point guard. He gave up a starting position with a school that is within a league more than capable of giving him enough exposure to make the NBA(if he was indeed good enough) . He wasted a year in Colorado because of the NCAA's transfer rule and is now leaving without playing one minute for them. He is going to play ball in Portugal, a place that I doubt has ever developed an NBA caliber player(I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong). But considering that the vast majority of NBA players came from Division I basketball schools and he has forever forfeited the right to play there again, I believe he is now further from his goal of reaching the NBA than he ever was, the only reason I ever read from him explaining why he left UMass. Again, that is hardly a series of choices that make sense to me.
How much money does his mother make? How many brothers and sisters does he have? What is her health status? What is the health status of everyone in his family? How much money is he getting? How long is the contract? What level of success does this league have in sending players to higher profile European leagues with more lucrative contracts? Does he have a girlfriend? A fiancee? A wife? Is she pregnant? Do they have a child? If so how many? If so, what is their health status? How did he like Boulder? How does he like cold weather? How does he like school? How does he like America? How does he feel about the American Government? Is he worried about getting blown up by a terrorist because our president is a shit eating maggot? How has he handled whatever racism he has undoubtedly encountered?

Clearly you know all of these things (and likely things I haven't even wondered about yet) because you can't accept that there might be things you don't know.
You know, say what you will about America, 13 bucks still gets you a hell of a lot of mice.

Used to be VOR
Hall of Fame

Post by Used to be VOR » Wed Jul 14, 2004 9:23 pm

Well if all those things were in play (playing the hypothetical game)....then maybe college was the bad choice.

Last time I checked Amherst was Amherst....and the weather in Colorado had not drastically changed. He had been in America for a while before he entered college.

But as the wind blows.......

Once again I wish him well.

harbo
Hall of Fame

Post by harbo » Wed Jul 14, 2004 11:53 pm

DS Bruce Robertson wrote: How much money does his mother make? How many brothers and sisters does he have? What is her health status? What is the health status of everyone in his family? How much money is he getting? How long is the contract? What level of success does this league have in sending players to higher profile European leagues with more lucrative contracts? Does he have a girlfriend? A fiancee? A wife? Is she pregnant? Do they have a child? If so how many? If so, what is their health status? How did he like Boulder? How does he like cold weather? How does he like school? How does he like America? How does he feel about the American Government? Is he worried about getting blown up by a terrorist because our president is a shit eating maggot? How has he handled whatever racism he has undoubtedly encountered?
Has he ever been in a cockpit? Has he ever seen a grown man naked? Has he ever been in a Turkish prison?

VoxPop
Senior

Post by VoxPop » Thu Jul 15, 2004 6:29 am

Does he want to be a rock and roll star? Does he love the baby Jesus? Does he enjoy portuguese rolls? can he create his own shot? How will he handle the racism in Portugal? Does he enjoy living under police state lite? How did he look in black and gold? Does he have a guaranteed multi-year contract with a tuition rider? Was he worried about the CU Buffs sex scandal? Should I stay or should I go? Is he just looking to leave before the Kobe trial gets rolling? What did he know and when did he know it? Coors beer? Does the team in Portugal have cute uniforms? Can you see the real me? briefs or boxers? Who is his agent and how much is the agent getting? Is he aware that Boulder Colorado has more sunshine than per year San Diego? The terrorists in spain are mainly blowing up commuter trains - will it spread next door? Has he been to the Azores? Does he know what the eye of Fatima is? which way to Lisbon? Does he surf? Nomar for Big Unit? Where on earth is carmen sandiego? where is captain rah rah when you need him? :roll:

bdance
Junior

Post by bdance » Thu Jul 15, 2004 6:55 am

The Captain would find this a target rich environment indeed. He always said UMass had the best fans in the world.

:P

DS Bruce Robertson
Senior

Post by DS Bruce Robertson » Thu Jul 15, 2004 12:31 pm

VoxPop wrote:Does he want to be a rock and roll star? Does he love the baby Jesus? Does he enjoy portuguese rolls? can he create his own shot? How will he handle the racism in Portugal? Does he enjoy living under police state lite? How did he look in black and gold? Does he have a guaranteed multi-year contract with a tuition rider? Was he worried about the CU Buffs sex scandal? Should I stay or should I go? Is he just looking to leave before the Kobe trial gets rolling? What did he know and when did he know it? Coors beer? Does the team in Portugal have cute uniforms? Can you see the real me? briefs or boxers? Who is his agent and how much is the agent getting? Is he aware that Boulder Colorado has more sunshine than per year San Diego? The terrorists in spain are mainly blowing up commuter trains - will it spread next door? Has he been to the Azores? Does he know what the eye of Fatima is? which way to Lisbon? Does he surf? Nomar for Big Unit? Where on earth is carmen sandiego? where is captain rah rah when you need him? :roll:
Precisely. You have no idea what you are talking about. Your comments on the situation are absurd, Papillon.

DS Bruce Robertson
Senior

Post by DS Bruce Robertson » Thu Jul 15, 2004 12:34 pm

Used to be VOR wrote:Well if all those things were in play (playing the hypothetical game)....then maybe college was the bad choice.

Last time I checked Amherst was Amherst....and the weather in Colorado had not drastically changed. He had been in America for a while before he entered college.

But as the wind blows.......

Once again I wish him well.
The wind blows indeed. You don't know if there has been some drastic change in his life situation since he decided to come to UMass. Maybe it didn't and he's just getting bad advice. I don't know either. It's just foolish to make definitive declaritve statements about his behavior when all you can do is speculate about the reasons for it.

FRDreams
Sophomore

Post by FRDreams » Thu Jul 15, 2004 12:35 pm

I just ate a Portuguese roll and loved it and I think mike will too. Go Umass!