Team Scrimmage

Anything and everything that is UMass Minutemen Basketball.
Webster 75
Freshman

Team Scrimmage

Post by Webster 75 » Tue Jun 29, 2004 10:08 am

I saw the team scrimmage last night at the cage. A few observations:

New Kids: Lamaraux DNP
Carrier Missed one shot in the hour i watched Definate three point range Good ball handler and passer This kid will step and play meaningful minutes from the get go

Deli Better than I expected Fundamentally sound Excellent hands, good passer, good touch Rebounds well Did a nice job keeping Ray off the offensive glass Slow but I was expecting slower I think he helps right away

The Vets: Chadwick Has shedded some pounds and is quicker than last year Still takes it to the hole with authority

Lasme Looks to have developed an offensive game Looked good with a mid range jumper and showed some moves around the hoop

Maxwell Him and Lasme appeared to have improved the most Did a nice job handling, distributing and attacking the hoop Excellent anticipation Knocked down everything

Everyone else Nothing different than what we saw last year AA, Bowers, Vig, Carrier and Freeman played together against Max, Chadwick,Martin Lasme and Deli Alisante DNP First group appears at least at this point to be the starters although I'm beginning to think that Max could break into the lineup

InnervisionsUMASS
Hall of Fame

Post by InnervisionsUMASS » Tue Jun 29, 2004 10:17 am

very interesting... how did you know that there was going to be a scrimmage? i'd like to see them play together sometime
Stop waiting for UMass to do something big and help UMass do something big. - Shades

scumming
Sophomore

Post by scumming » Tue Jun 29, 2004 10:57 am

that's great news and i'd like you to please continue posting updates on their scrimmages in the future...i knew carrier would show somethin :wink:
i know my facts

zuksnj
Junior

Post by zuksnj » Tue Jun 29, 2004 11:08 am

Thanks a lot, very interesting.
I really want to see more of Chadwick this year even if in the same lineup with AA. I Maxwell is improving his shot and confidence he could be really good.
And still heavyweight champ..Umass basketball!

FRDreams
Sophomore

Post by FRDreams » Tue Jun 29, 2004 11:11 am

How did Bowers look? Besides Max did anyone looked improved? What style of play did they show most? ex. uptemp. thanks for the news. Go Umass!

Webster 75
Freshman

Post by Webster 75 » Tue Jun 29, 2004 12:07 pm

Lasme looked much more comfortable offensively This was one hour of pickup bball so I wouldn't go too crazy with my analysis but the three most improved were Lasme, Maxwell and Chadwick. The best player was Freeman

nale
Hall of Fame

Post by nale » Tue Jun 29, 2004 12:40 pm

Thanks for the info on the scrimmage. Real basketball Great.

Thanks again Webster.
"This is my dream job''

frank da tank

Post by frank da tank » Tue Jun 29, 2004 2:25 pm

I've heard Chadwick has lost the weight, and looks ripped....maybe "the juco lazyness" is out of his system........

Lasme should have a big yr, much more offensive potential than Gabe Lee....

Is Lamoureux injured?

Will Kouyate play this yr or is he still hurt?

Who was covering who in the scrimmage??

Chemical Ali
Senior

Post by Chemical Ali » Tue Jun 29, 2004 3:59 pm

Boy that thing with Stephane Lasme shooting 54% from the field last season was pretty unexpected. Who knew?! Good thing he's no longer "raw" and his offense appears to be improving! Maxwell should see more minutes and Chadwick looks good? Wow. What will the "talent" scouts say next?

Amusing.

Webster 75
Freshman

Post by Webster 75 » Tue Jun 29, 2004 6:19 pm

Woops, I forgot, wrong board. I forgot this is a UMass basketball sucks, Steve Lappas sucks, the players suck forum. My bad

Used to be VOR
Hall of Fame

Post by Used to be VOR » Tue Jun 29, 2004 6:36 pm

Ignore Ali,

He is about as much a fan of UMass as Calhoun.

DS Bruce Robertson
Senior

Post by DS Bruce Robertson » Tue Jun 29, 2004 7:19 pm

Used to be VOR wrote:Ignore Ali,

He is about as much a fan of UMass as Calhoun.
Fucking idiocy.
You know, say what you will about America, 13 bucks still gets you a hell of a lot of mice.

Used to be VOR
Hall of Fame

Post by Used to be VOR » Tue Jun 29, 2004 7:29 pm

Geez...and I forgot how you hate grandstanding and personal comments about other posters.

If you think it is OK to come on here and mock our current roster than so be it....I personally think it sucks...and anyone who does it (no matter how they feel about Lappas) is not a fan.

UMass87
Hall of Fame

Post by UMass87 » Tue Jun 29, 2004 9:15 pm

Used to be VOR wrote:...If you think it is OK to come on here and mock our current roster than so be it....I personally think it sucks...and anyone who does it (no matter how they feel about Lappas) is not a fan.
Maybe I'm way off here but I read Mr. Chemical's post as saying:

"Lasme's got offensive skills? No shit. Who'd a thunk it? Oh..wait he DID shoot 54% last season (57% A10)"

and

"Maxwell better than Chadwick? Couldn't be. There was never even a hint of it in their play last season. Oh wait...Max played 50% more minutes than Chadwick last season."

Chemical Ali
Senior

Post by Chemical Ali » Tue Jun 29, 2004 9:30 pm

That's right, UMass 87. You provide hope.

Uh, for the rest of the children, obviously they need help. Listen and read carefully: the post mocks those who have questioned Lasme, Chadwick and Maxwell, during Lappas disaster last season, but now these same players appear to be the hope of our upcoming great season. Funny isn't it? When Lappas performance is under scrutiny, well, it's the inexperienced players fault, but once dude secured his contract, well, then these players are just fine and the things they were criticized magically go away. Check any of my previous posts and you'll see that I love Lasme, Maxwell, and Chadwick. Don't paint me otherwise, cock munchers (not that there is anything wrong with that!)

Remember, Lasme was "raw" and couldn't be counted on even though (as I point out, idiots) he shot 54%, second only to Freeman. I'm not surprised he looks good in practice. He looked good LAST season and yet was on and off the bench under Lappas freaky rotation. Maurice Maxwell had twice the season last season that Art Bowers did when you consider the complete package and there has been several on the board who think he should either be running the point or at least slated as a starter off the ball. Yet, I can't tell you how many times last season that Bowers would make a bad play and MAXWELL would get sent to the bench. Chadwick? I'm sure he does look good. The team was MUCH smoother when he ran the point and Anderson slid over to the two, plus he was one of our best defenders.

I agree with the observations that these 3 could play a big role next season, and I'm not surprised to hear the nice practice report. They should have seen more minutes last year, and some of us on the board didn't wait until Steve Lappas was reinstated to say so. Yes, I do think Lappas blows, but I love the roster and anyone who wears a Minuteman jersey. That's why the apologies for 13-16, 11-18, 10-19 are so nauseating.

Still confused? Please toss yourself into a trash compactor immediately.