Good News from the West Coast

Anything and everything that is UMass Minutemen Basketball.
SoCal
Junior

Good News from the West Coast

Post by SoCal » Mon Jun 14, 2004 6:34 pm

I had the opportunity to meet Chancellor Lombardi the end of May. He was on an alumni club swing through California. He ended up at the Redondo Beach Chart House. Great spot, the Pacific roles underneath the restaurant. I was delighted by everything John had to say about his plans for UMass, but we'll stick to sports. John reported that he never expects UMass to have division 1A football, it's not feasible. However, he flat out stated he will make sure UMass hoop is in the big dance every year! He was realistic in that he would not promise Great 8 or Final Four, but promised Big Dance. For those who don't know, John ran IU for tweleve years with Bobby Knight and then went To U. of Florida. So, he knows big time hoop and big time programs. More importantly, he is a very intelligent businessman and described the situation with the hoop program as follows:

1. Out of state students pay $9000 more then in-state students
2. Traditionally the state kept all this money and UMass saw none of it
3. Because of the budget cuts, John was able to lobby and win for UMass Amherst, only, the right to keep this extra out of state money for the U.
4. He realizes there is really only two ways to recruit out of state students
a.) Have alumni who live away try and talk kids into attending UMass
b.) Have UMass hoops on SportsCenter every night so kids want to go there from other places
5. His motivation to improve the club (beyond the norm) is for out of state interest which equates to out of state funds which he now gets to keep and the U needs the money. Big hoops= big money and extra exposure. It all makes sense.
6. He mentioned that he is giving the current management the opportunity to take us to the next level this year, but would make immediate changes if they can not come through.

All in all it was an extremely rewarding experience to spend some time with him and listen to his plans for the U. If you get the opportunity, I recommend catching him speak. I also recommend the crab cakes, the Fat Bastard Merlot and the bartender named Sharesse (smoking hot).

I hope all is well back East, wish I had some recruiting news for you.

Later,

SoCal

Old Cage
Hall of Fame

Post by Old Cage » Mon Jun 14, 2004 7:10 pm

Excellent contribution. Thanks.

Feato
Senior

Post by Feato » Mon Jun 14, 2004 7:11 pm

fine enough news right there; at least we know further where he stands and his philosophies....

and I'm glad he realizes that D-1 football just isn't a feasible proposition...
MF

I'm a professional smartass.

philosopher
Hall of Fame

Post by philosopher » Mon Jun 14, 2004 9:06 pm

Excellent news, SoCal! What got the program to its zenith was a simple plan: play anyone, anytime, anywhere. Get the team on TV as often as possible as incentive for out of region players to come to Amhest. Recruit and coach like John Wooden.

May Lombardi follow his plans all they way!

FRDreams
Sophomore

Post by FRDreams » Tue Jun 15, 2004 8:27 am

Great news! As much as I would like a D1 football team I think it is very unlikely also. Basketball is also very profitable and being legit would be much more attainable. Go Umass!

Chapel Hill Minuteman
Sophomore

Post by Chapel Hill Minuteman » Tue Jun 15, 2004 12:06 pm

How refreshing - a post that isn't the same fire the coach bullshit rehashed for the millionth time.

1A football would be nice but I would rather have a basketball program in the tourny every year than a 2 bit 1A program and a basketball program at the bottom of the A10 every year.

AlPatino
Junior

Post by AlPatino » Tue Jun 15, 2004 12:17 pm

Nice optimistic post with substance. Lombardi makes absolute sense and this makes me feel so much better about the future direction of the program. I seem to recall the words "Administrations win championships". I think we have the basis now for a real change of direction. Let's just get it done before too much longer, I'm not getting any younger. :lol:
Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans. John Lennon

S_S

Post by S_S » Tue Jun 15, 2004 1:58 pm

That's nice to hear. I just hope Lombardi sticks around long enough for his vision for UMass hoops to become reality. There was some indication that he might look for the next good job offer if he wasn't given the UMass Presidency. Either way, I really believe that this institution understands what it once had and will remain committed to rebuilding a program worthy of (positive) national attention.

UMass02
Senior

Post by UMass02 » Tue Jun 15, 2004 2:30 pm

Basketball is the best hope for UMass reaching national popularity. Football, although an excellent program, plays in relative obscurity. Collegiate hockey is another top-notch program but it's only appreciated in certain regions of the US.

BBall has a nice, large, modern arena. The school has a reputation for partying and frivolity. It's a very large school for this part of the country. There are a lot of pieces of the puzzle already in place.

Big sports = big stature = big interest = big bucks.

SignMan
Hall of Fame

Post by SignMan » Tue Jun 15, 2004 3:05 pm

S_S wrote:That's nice to hear. I just hope Lombardi sticks around long enough for his vision for UMass hoops to become reality. There was some indication that he might look for the next good job offer if he wasn't given the UMass Presidency. Either way, I really believe that this institution understands what it once had and will remain committed to rebuilding a program worthy of (positive) national attention.
He: STICKS!
daughter, expecting his first grandchild...
moving to area...
guess John bought her a house...nearby

SignMan
Hall of Fame

Re: Good News from the West Coast

Post by SignMan » Tue Jun 15, 2004 5:01 pm

[quote="SoCal"]

SoCal...

Last week, there was a family at Reunion (class of '54), same surname as yours...so, I sought them out to find out if you were related...
I met the wife and ask if she were related to you, but she was not...

I explained that had she been your mother, I wanted to tell her what I fine young man you are, and she should be proud of the way she (would have) raised you...

She said that she was sure your mom would have been proud to have heard this, and that were she yours, she would be proud, too...

:D :roll:

Ewan's Dad
Sophomore

Post by Ewan's Dad » Tue Jun 15, 2004 5:47 pm

Great, positive post, makes me feel warm and fuzzy inside
For another one, see the General Discussion board about the letter in today's Globe from the former UMass prof. (or read the letter yourself).
Sure beats all the bickering on here.
There's nowt wrong wi' gala luncheons

whiterhino42
Junior

Post by whiterhino42 » Sat Jun 19, 2004 6:27 pm

Great post socal sounds like he's a guy who could bring back our pride :D