Canadian players

Anything and everything that is UMass Minutemen Basketball.
Hoop It Up
Junior

Post by Hoop It Up » Fri May 14, 2004 11:48 am

Wheeler wrote:Anybody ever wonder why Lamoreaux's high school coach is sitting on the UMass bench?
I heard he had left. Anyone know if this is true?

krkess
Senior

Post by krkess » Fri May 14, 2004 12:13 pm

At the banquet the coaches said that Lamoreaux's greatest attribute is his toughness. BTW, Maurice Joseph is considered to be a very highly valued recruit, despite the exchange rate.

FRDreams
Sophomore

Post by FRDreams » Fri May 14, 2004 1:14 pm

I am not saying there have never been any good Canadian basketball players. However, a few of you named 3 great players and a bunch of average ones. 3 out of a country the size of Canada does not make it a hoops hotbed. I am sure there are some who can play and make an impact but they are few and far between. Out of that list of top players 2 or 3 are going to mid major d1 schools. Wow!
The U.S. prep school and AAU Circuit is so much more advanced than any other country it is ridiculous. All I am saying is the level of competition over there is not even close to the U.S. and it is rare to have a player come out and make an impact right away. If you take a kid that avg's 28 a game and place him on prep team in the U.S. I bet he does not come close to that average. I just think the stats of a Canadian and U.S. player should be considered differently. It is like a D1 and D2 school comparison.
Does anyone remember the best 3 pt shooter out of Canada and what he did at Umass? All I know is we lost Gabe and we are thin at the front court position and do not expect this kid to come in and come close to filling Gabes role. Go Umass!

nale
Hall of Fame

Post by nale » Fri May 14, 2004 2:01 pm

FRDreams wrote:Does anyone remember the best 3 pt shooter out of Canada and what he did at Umass? Go Umass!
That argument makes as much sense as saying California players are not good because does anyone remember one of the best slamdunkers in the world according to SLAM magazine and what he did at UMASS?

I don't disagree that the competition in Canada is not as good as the US
but there are good players everywhere.
"This is my dream job''

Floyd
Hall of Fame

Post by Floyd » Fri May 14, 2004 4:05 pm

It would be nice if Lamoreaux & Deli can come in and give us some serviceable minutes as freshman. I think that's all we should expect from them, anything more is gravy. I'd rather be pleasantly surprised than expect too much & be disappointed

greno
Freshman

Post by greno » Fri May 14, 2004 6:13 pm

Used to be VOR wrote:
FRDreams wrote:
As do Denham Brown (UConn), Jermaine Bucknor (Richmond), Jimmy Balderson (BYU), Nate Doornekamp (BC), Sean Denison (Santa Clara), Levon Kendall (Pitt), Dwayne Jones (LaSalle)...and a slew of others.
I can't believe you're actually citing Nate Doornekamp as an example of the talent coming out of Canada. You know you're grasping at straws when Nate f***ing Doornekamp is supporting your thesis.

Hall of Fame

Post by 78 » Sun May 16, 2004 11:05 pm

greno wrote:
Used to be VOR wrote:
FRDreams wrote:
As do Denham Brown (UConn), Jermaine Bucknor (Richmond), Jimmy Balderson (BYU), Nate Doornekamp (BC), Sean Denison (Santa Clara), Levon Kendall (Pitt), Dwayne Jones (LaSalle)...and a slew of others.
I can't believe you're actually citing Nate Doornekamp as an example of the talent coming out of Canada. You know you're grasping at straws when Nate f***ing Doornekamp is supporting your thesis.
I was just going to post the same thing. Doornekamp is a huge STIFF.
Bamford has erased McCutcheon

Used to be VOR
Hall of Fame

Post by Used to be VOR » Mon May 17, 2004 5:05 am

The post was regarding guys from Canada playing significant minutes... Doornekamp, for all his shortcomings, has done that.

krkess
Senior

Post by krkess » Tue May 18, 2004 7:10 am

Yeah, he's a huge stiff who's played significant minutes on an NCAA team. He would start for our team.