My epiphany on the a-10

Anything and everything that is UMass Minutemen Basketball.
zuksnj
Junior

My epiphany on the a-10

Post by zuksnj » Fri Mar 26, 2004 10:11 pm

This is not cindarella Xavier and one year wonder St Joe's which is what a lot of people might think. Sad maybe, but I just now am realizing what I think the reason for this success is. Both teams are TEAMS. Play together, grow together, hang around for a little more than a semester and you might be able to just beat these so called powerhouses. Yes, I know about Anthony and Syracuse last year. The a-10 pn a consistent basis makes noise in this tourney whether it's Xavier, Rhode Island, Dayton, Richmond, Temple, or whoever. The solid core that is here now should watch this and realize their realistic opportunity to develop into a confident team that can play with anyone.

Anyone who has been realizing this for a long time and is laughing at this as an epiphany...I took the little yellow schoolbus to school when I was a kid.
And still heavyweight champ..Umass basketball!

philosopher
Hall of Fame

Post by philosopher » Sat Mar 27, 2004 3:43 pm

No one is laughing at you. The light turns on when it turns on, that's all. Don't belittle yourself..., not with the quality of your posts over the long haul.

The A-10 should be getting better pub, if only we had a commish with a clue. That horse isn't dead, but it ain't any fun beating it, because the other institutitions in the A-10 seem content with Bruno.

LS71
Hall of Fame

Post by LS71 » Sat Mar 27, 2004 4:51 pm

:idea: I know I'm getting ahead of myself, but how great would an all A-10 national championship game be :!: :shock:

Throw in the revenge factor and it would be a helluva game.

But there's a lot of basketball to to be played before that happens....
"Win without boasting, lose without crying." -- Julius Erving

philosopher
Hall of Fame

Post by philosopher » Sat Mar 27, 2004 6:10 pm

recalling 'Nova beating Georgetown, I can imagine an all A-10 final. Sit back, pop the corn, and ENJOY. Unless, of course, it is the Minutemen. Then, sit forward, clench fists, and SCREAM yourself hoarse at every imagined slight by the zebras, and finally collapse in ecstacy when the final reads, UMass 87, them, 81.

MullinsManiac
Senior

Post by MullinsManiac » Sat Mar 27, 2004 9:54 pm

You guys are right, and here's why: Kids who go to schools in the Big East, ACC, Big 12, etc. are looking to go for one or two years, then run for the NBA as soon as they can. Schools in the A-10, for the most part, take kids who realize they're not likely to leave early. As a result, the kids get to work together, focus on the team instead of the NBA, and develop over the long haul.
MullinsManiac is on a drug ... it's called MullinsManiac.

twisters tavern
Junior

Post by twisters tavern » Mon Mar 29, 2004 1:59 pm

I just came back from Las Vegas where I lost about the same number of parlays as a Lappas coached UMass team the last three seasons :cry: . I spoke to many fans about the history of the A10 conference and how it produces 1 or 2 Sweet Sixteen teams a year. The A10 is a very competitive league. It is just damn unfortunate that most of the teams are tiny Catholic schools that play second fiddle to other schools in ther respective areas (Xavier to Cincinnati, St. Joe's to Villanova, Richmond to Virginia, URI/UMASS to BC/UCONN).

It does not surprise me that the A10 sends quality teams to the Dance every year and that these teams play well and excel.

By the way, Took Xavier in the money line. $100 would have paid $360. F'ing refs. Took Myles out of the game way to early. Serves me right for betting against St. Joe's the day before only to watch them cover the 2.5 point spread at the MGM Grand.

I have to stop gambling!

Len
Freshman

Post by Len » Mon Mar 29, 2004 4:02 pm

I think St Joe's on Saturday was the best coached team I ever saw. Did you see their passing? I mean, they were just whipping the ball around the court. Their defense was amazing. The bellied right up to the guy with the ball, and if they got beat, the rotation was perfect. They boxed out under the boards (unfortunately losing some rebounds to guys that were just plain too big). They caused numerous turnovers with their press. Looked like they found the 40 minutes of hell that UAB misplaced. Just don't understand why Martelli didn't call time out with the last six ticks on the clock.
I told you so!

sae65
Sophomore

Post by sae65 » Mon Mar 29, 2004 4:11 pm

Why would Martelli even consider calling a time out. Six seconds to go and the player he want's to have the ball has it. Couldn't ask for anything more. Inbounding the ball can be a problem and Nelson probably would be double teamed causing the ball to go to someone who shouldn't have the ball with seconds left. No timeout = a no brainer (IMHO)

zuksnj
Junior

Post by zuksnj » Mon Mar 29, 2004 8:10 pm

sae65 wrote:Why would Martelli even consider calling a time out. Six seconds to go and the player he want's to have the ball has it. Couldn't ask for anything more. Inbounding the ball can be a problem and Nelson probably would be double teamed causing the ball to go to someone who shouldn't have the ball with seconds left. No timeout = a no brainer (IMHO)
Hindsight is always 20/20.

Old Prospector
Junior

Post by Old Prospector » Mon Mar 29, 2004 8:14 pm

Len wrote:I think St Joe's on Saturday was the best coached team I ever saw. Did you see their passing? I mean, they were just whipping the ball around the court. Their defense was amazing. The bellied right up to the guy with the ball, and if they got beat, the rotation was perfect. They boxed out under the boards (unfortunately losing some rebounds to guys that were just plain too big). They caused numerous turnovers with their press. Looked like they found the 40 minutes of hell that UAB misplaced. Just don't understand why Martelli didn't call time out with the last six ticks on the clock.
Len, noticed the same thing. An extremely well coached team that is really fun to watch. Great passing, defense, and teamplay. Wish we had a team like that, or a coach that at least tried to put it into place.

Go UMass 1991
Freshman

Post by Go UMass 1991 » Tue Mar 30, 2004 2:48 pm

I'm STILL screaming "CALL A TIME OUT!" Too late now. My vote would have been on the time out. Would that have won the game? Who knows. All we know is what happened without one. Either way, it was really sad to see them go down at the end of that game.

fbiman
Sophomore

Post by fbiman » Tue Mar 30, 2004 3:17 pm

sae65 wrote:Why would Martelli even consider calling a time out. Six seconds to go and the player he want's to have the ball has it. Couldn't ask for anything more. Inbounding the ball can be a problem and Nelson probably would be double teamed causing the ball to go to someone who shouldn't have the ball with seconds left. No timeout = a no brainer (IMHO)
I agree,

Martelli didn't need to take a TO.

Taking a TO would have forced St. Joe's to go with a set play, and OK State to defend accordingly(OK State was back on their heels as Nelson ran down the court with the ball). Nelson had a clean look at the basket. He just missed the shot.

Good strategy, bad execution.
That's not an MP, that's a YP. Not My Problem, Your Problem.

Muhammed Saeed al-Sahaf
Sophomore
Location: I am at the side of almighty leader Steve Lappas. Where else would I be?

Post by Muhammed Saeed al-Sahaf » Tue Mar 30, 2004 3:49 pm

fbiman wrote:Good strategy, bad execution.
Or perhaps the perfect execution of a bad strategy?
Steve Lappas is the mightiest coach of all time!!! Death to all Anti-Lappas Spin Merchants who cannot see his greatness!!!!!!

SignMan
Hall of Fame

Post by SignMan » Tue Mar 30, 2004 4:41 pm

Muhammed...
do you face east or west when you epiphany?

zuksnj
Junior

Post by zuksnj » Tue Mar 30, 2004 8:39 pm

SignMan wrote:Muhammed...
do you face east or west when you epiphany?
He faces south as he chills in his spider hole!