It's Official

Anything and everything that is UMass Minutemen Basketball.
MullinsManiac
Senior

Post by MullinsManiac » Mon Mar 15, 2004 5:57 pm

Hey Mr. Student Government President Wannabe: You were saying for the past two weeks that Lappas was a goner. Now he's not. Which means one of three things:

1) Somebody in power changed their mind (if so, why?)
2) Your sources are full of crap (very possible)
3) Wishful thinking on your part, disguised as fact (my guess)

LopesRI
Sophomore

Post by LopesRI » Mon Mar 15, 2004 6:18 pm

TBird wrote:
LopesRI wrote:Simply outrageous and hypocritical!!!

Although I don't like the outcome, I disagree. The two decisions were made by different ADs and Administrations and in different settings.
Sorry but things like winning, attendance, competent coaching and fan base satisfaction which translate into $$$ are axiomatic things and decisions like this one are not made in a vacuum.

m626t
Hall of Fame

Post by m626t » Mon Mar 15, 2004 6:21 pm

as i thought he would, lappas stays, although i am less than thrilled by the way it was done. if it was lappas' suggestion to rework his contract, props to him, but it should not have been made public. that puts too much pressure on the players who will worry that every loss means less gorceries on the lappas family table (not literally buy you get my drift). i think they should have announced that he will be back and let it go at that. also, it hadn't dawned on me but recruiting now may be a problem next year as others have pointed out; my hope is that the team has a successful year, gets into the ncaa or wins the nit (don't kill me for that one) and some stability comes to the program. in any event, in about a year we will know whether that happens, or if we will be welcoming in a new head coach.
All due respect, and I mean that from the bottom of my heart, I'm gonna pass.

MullinsManiac
Senior

Post by MullinsManiac » Mon Mar 15, 2004 6:25 pm

I disagree, m626t. The fan base now knows that if next season goes like the past three, he's outta here. It keeps the Wiggums of the world from slitting their wrists -- and perhaps keeps them from withholding their donations.

Scott O
Senior

Post by Scott O » Mon Mar 15, 2004 6:32 pm

MullinsManiac wrote:Hey Mr. Student Government President Wannabe: You were saying for the past two weeks that Lappas was a goner. Now he's not. Which means one of three things:

My very credible inside source tells me it was #3.
Retarded artistically. Idiotic in other respects.

Chemical Ali
Senior

Post by Chemical Ali » Mon Mar 15, 2004 6:32 pm

MullinsManiac wrote:I disagree, m626t. The fan base now knows that if next season goes like the past three, he's outta here. It keeps the Wiggums of the world from slitting their wrists -- and perhaps keeps them from withholding their donations.
While I won't be slitting my wrists I most definitely WILL be witholding my annual donation. I've seen enough. I'd be curious to see how many other folks withhold or redirect their money on the heels of this INSANE decision.

InnervisionsUMASS
Hall of Fame

Post by InnervisionsUMASS » Mon Mar 15, 2004 9:21 pm

MullinsManiac wrote:Hey Mr. Student Government President Wannabe: You were saying for the past two weeks that Lappas was a goner. Now he's not. Which means one of three things:

Well, I was going to make a thread apologizing for false info, but I guess I don’t have to now.... This is what I knew before making those posts on Friday:

1. I was aware of a meeting the Chancellor had with the team regarding the situation, and was told that the topic of transfering was discussed with the players. That may still be what happened, it just ends up the question was different.

2. I was aware of the unwillingness of the new AD to even try to form a professional relationship with Lappas

3. I was aware of a "list" that one higher up administrator (hint, the person who oversaw the department up until March 1st, 2004, and no, not Thor) had created for replacements, and on several occasions was asked what I thought about certain candidates

4. I was aware of various things that employees of the athletic department were telling me

Doing the math, and also taking into account the incredible distaste it seemed the whole UMASS fan base had for Lappas, it equaled to him being fired.

The decision was completely and utterly left up to the new Athletic Director, without any kind of tinkering by either Chancellor Lombardi or Vice Chancellor Gargano. Also, from what I was told today, and which MikeUMA can attest to (I sent him a PM about it before any announcement was made today) it turns out that the Athletic Department was getting numerous calls a day from alum and season ticket holders in support of Lappas (I know, sounds ludicrous, but its true,) It seems that more people contacted the Athletic Department in favor of Coach Lappas rather than against him. I would think that played a part in the whole thing, even though the AD has said that he doesn't listen to what fans say.

Ultimately though, I was wrong.... my info adds up to him being fired, but in the end it equal that. I don't know what happened. I did not sit in on their meeting today. If I had, I would have let everyone know as soon as I got to a computer. I was convinced Friday that he was a goner, and then began hearing conflicting stories over the weekend, which all lead to this today. If I didn't feel as confident as I did about it on Friday, I would have never posted things about it. I was wrong.... I’m sorry.

Regardless of what was decided today, I am still a UMASS fan. I will continue to be a fan, no matter who the coach is. I will continue to support this school in whatever possible way I can, as a student, and a future alum. I am UMASS. I always will be UMASS.
Stop waiting for UMass to do something big and help UMass do something big. - Shades

The Truth
Sophomore

Post by The Truth » Mon Mar 15, 2004 9:22 pm

Everyone, please feel free to PM me...oh wait, I'm not Wiggum!!!!! Never mind........ :roll:

MullinsManiac
Senior

Post by MullinsManiac » Mon Mar 15, 2004 9:33 pm

Thanks for the clarification. One thing you said, though, makes me wonder:

"2. I was aware of the unwillingness of the new AD to even try to form a professional relationship with Lappas"

If true, why the f%&# didn't he fire him?

obg
Senior

Post by obg » Tue Mar 16, 2004 12:13 am

All this talk about with holding money, we are in the second year of a two year pledge deal. The Athletic Dept. is on a calendar year schedule. If you pledged money and received points for it, how do you justify not meeting the pledge?
They may not be great, but they won't be boring!

InnervisionsUMASS
Hall of Fame

Post by InnervisionsUMASS » Tue Mar 16, 2004 12:14 am

not sure... like I said, everything added up to him being fired... some how, it didnt equal that in the end.... only two people know now.... God and John M
Stop waiting for UMass to do something big and help UMass do something big. - Shades

harbo
Hall of Fame

Post by harbo » Tue Mar 16, 2004 12:14 am

Simply put, this is the most absurd solution that mccutthecheese and lamebardi could have arrived at. Tell a recruit next early signing period that we frankly have no idea who the coach will be in his freshman year. And should Calhoun be playing Okafor now? Is he risking long-term damage to win a few games now? Suppose lappas runs into the same situation with, heaven forbid, an injury to Rashaun next season. We need the wins, can you help me out Rashaun and play through your pain? And regarding attendance incentives. Bahahahahahahaha.

I have to seriously consider nale's suggestion from another thread. My support is done with until the administration changes, if then.