Blaudschun Article

Anything and everything that is UMass Minutemen Basketball.
FRDreams
Sophomore

Post by FRDreams » Thu Feb 26, 2004 11:43 am

And as far as getting back to square one, where the heck are we now?
We are at square -1. I wish we were at square one. If we were at square one we would be beating the Cenn Ct's and Hartfords of the world. He can leave and take everyone for all I care at this point. The program is already non-existant in everyones mind. For a guy who has had just as many of his recruits leave his program as guys who left and were not his should shut his trap. I think he overestimates his previous players loyalty and his current players loyalty to him.

For example if I am A. Bowers and I obviously talented and playing with others who are talented and used to winning. Why now am I getting my ass kicked on the regular basis by less talented kids? It is because of coaching. Period! I am glad this jackass made those comments it is only helping him out the door.

Go zoomass!

Hall of Fame

Post by 78 » Thu Feb 26, 2004 11:51 am

MikeUMA wrote:Read this one if you're about to add your 2¢ in...

I got an inside track on what happened with Lap's comments. As I understand it, Blaudschun pretty much ambushed Lappas last night, outside of the regular post-game press conference. Blaud was putting things on the record that were off it, and even the those things that he put on were taken out of context.

Do you really think Lap would have given a reporter quotes like that? And if he did, why didn't Chimelis report it in this morning's Republican? I'm eager to see Vautour's work this afternoon, but I don't think he'll have anything like that either.

I've lost count at the number of times the Globe has tried to fu@% UMass. This is another in the long line.
Mike -- do you really believe the stuff you posted above? Lappas knew he was talking to a reporter. He has been around long enough. You may have an inside source, but I call BS on this one. And, even if some of the things were allegedly off the record and not for publication, it is good to know that Lappas is making threats about the talent leaving. Whether for print or not, the guy is a DICK for making these kinds of comments to someone in the media.

As for other reporters printing the same thing, it appears that this was a one-on-one interview with Blaudschun and Lappas, so they would not have the same info or quotes.
Bamford has erased McCutcheon

MikeUMA
Site Admin

Post by MikeUMA » Thu Feb 26, 2004 12:03 pm

78 wrote:even if some of the things were allegedly off the record and not for publication, it is good to know that Lappas is making threats about the talent leaving.
That's not a threat, that's the truth. Same thing happened when Bruiser left, King and company didn't want to come here, they were released from their commitments and never came to Amherst. That's what he's talking about. We can pretty much kiss Carrier and the others goodbye if Lap isn't here next season.

daveyboy
Freshman

Post by daveyboy » Thu Feb 26, 2004 12:06 pm

I think three years ago we were at square 3 before he was hired. He took us to square one that year. It seems like square one would be something to get back to. Lappas' run here has been a surreal experience. Imagine in 2 years his teams beat a PAC 10 team,a good ACC team twice,led a top ten UConn team by 26 points then lost, and lost to hartford,central connecticutt,and bunch of other low level teams.
His first four games was the pinnacle.Even then things felt surreal.
I remember being there when they hosed Marist in the first half,then had no answer in the second half only to win by 7 at the end. This pattern has prevailed for his tenure here. If he goes how much less competitive will the team be? If he had an ounce of integrity or truthfullness he would say,
"I'm sorry.I failed.I feel terrible taking the money.I know the university is in desperate need of funds.Please use what is left for the betterment of the university."

Wiggum
Junior

Post by Wiggum » Thu Feb 26, 2004 12:17 pm

If Carrier wants to forfeit a year of eligibility to go somewhere else, so be it. I couldn't care less if Salvoski and Lamoureux ever show up either.

Why should we have any faith in this guy or in his ability to recruit? Seriously, which player other than Freeman has been as advertised? They can all go as far as I'm concerned. If we can lose to Fordham with these guys we can most certainly lose to Fordham without them. They committed to UMass. If their loyalty is really to Lappas then I want nothing to do with them either.

twisters tavern
Junior

Post by twisters tavern » Thu Feb 26, 2004 12:22 pm

On the record/off the record. It doesn't matter. What's on the guy's mind is what is important. He is beginning to distance himself from this debacle by using selective pronouns like "they". I do believe he is now looking to blame the fans and administration for not having enough patience so that in his next job interview, he can claim unjustfied lack of alumni/administration support for his dismissal rather than his dismal job performance.

As far as I am concerned this clown can do and say whatever he wants about the school/fans/players. He deserves to be fired SOLELY on the fact that he has not produced improvement/wins for this program.

FIRE LAPPAS FOR THE GOOD OF THE UNIVERSITY!

Wiggum
Junior

Post by Wiggum » Thu Feb 26, 2004 12:31 pm

Lappas is now 15-30 in A-10 games. FIFTEEN AND THIRTY!!! He has lost twice as many conference games as he's won. He loses 2 out of every 3 A-10 games he coaches. He loses 67% of the time.

Steve, are we really treating you unfairly? Before you answer, how much has UMass paid you to amass this record? Have you made more than a million dollars in your three years here? I'll tell you what, you give the money back, and I'll cut you some slack.

Swampy
Hall of Fame

Post by Swampy » Thu Feb 26, 2004 12:36 pm

Gee Mike, do you suppose they'll even be able to field a team next year if coach Lappas is shown the door?

BBK decided not to show up and play for coach Lappas. His supporters said that they stunk as players anyway so he didn't lose much by their not coming to UMass. Would not having Carrier, Deli and the hockey guy be so bad? I don't know. If the guys who are already here, after talking with the new coach, decided to leave then it would probably be a good thing for the new coach. Ya know, no excuses later about information regarding PT, style of play, etc.

What I DO know is that no matter WHO stays or goes it would be almost impossible to have a worse season than the one I have just witnessed!

Old Cage
Hall of Fame

Post by Old Cage » Thu Feb 26, 2004 12:39 pm

Concerning any players leaving:

1. AA, Lee, Freeman, Carrier, Chadwick, and Kouyate are probably not going anywhere - they are trapped by the current eligibilty rules and can't /won't/shouldn't sit out another year somewhere.

2. Does anyone think that Jeff would leave?

3. It didn't appear that Deli and Oliver had many D1 options.

We are probably talking about Max, Bowers and Lasme. You can form your own opinions on them, and whether a new coach would be a positive or negative in their decision. They do have the option of transfering, sitting, and then having three years left to play three.

Players leaving should NOT be a consideration!!!!!!!!!!!

twisters tavern
Junior

Post by twisters tavern » Thu Feb 26, 2004 12:49 pm

The freshman on this team chose UMASS even though the team was coming off of two losing seasons. They either mistakenly bought into the coaching staff or actually believed that they could make a difference in rebuilding this program into a national powerhouse that it was.

Regardless, new coaching blood can only help these guys. They have given up on Lappas and this system. Bring in a coach with fresh ideas and an appreciation of the history of success that UMASS had, and that alone can bring three or four more wins.

Calipari came in after years and years of miserable seasons where UMASS received no exposure. He had to sell a school that had no recent history of success and would take its lumps before reaching prominence. Those kids bought his system and he stockpiled players that fit well within that system. Lappas has done neither. We are now at the point that a new coach will have sell the school over again due to its lack of success. He has to go, regardless if these current kids follow him, which, based upon player quotes and body language I personally witnessed, will not happen.

FIRE LAPPAS FOR THE GOOD OF THE UNIVERSITY!

nighttrain777
Junior

Post by nighttrain777 » Thu Feb 26, 2004 1:02 pm

Back to square one?!?!?! What a senseless comment. Is he deluded enough to think that square one could be any worse than the situation we're in now? :x
'Fight On' You Loyal Sons and Daughters of Metawampe.

zultr
Sophomore

Post by zultr » Thu Feb 26, 2004 1:02 pm

If Lappas was "ambushed," I wonder where Blaudshun got the $535,000 figure. Is that what Lappas said he'd hold out for? Is that what's already in the liquidated damages section of his contract?

Lappas is throwing a leaky paper cup of water on the towering inferno. He's panicking. He's so nervous and insecure in general, it's almost kind of painful to watch him implode. No one wants to lose their job. Most of us would have to scamble to make ends meet. But how long would it take most of us to earn $535,000? Five years? Ten? More? How many of us would make that much money all at once for not working? How much has he already made to flush the program down the toilet? Square one? Jesus. We're at square one because of him.

If there isn't already a buyout clause in his contract, I pray they have the guts to pressure him to take a one year base salary payoff, or better yet, just quit. Think about it: if firing him brings just a few hundred more paying fans per game next year, the program is no worse off keeping him on the payroll. He'd get no perks, no one would go to his camps and other revenue producers, maybe he even gets no Volvo. He'd be stuck in Amherst with nothing to do, and he'd be forbidden from working anywhere else. Unlikely? Absolutely. But after what has happened, I'd consider it as a bargaining chip, especially if I already know who is lined up to replace him.

Oh yeah, the Dukes beat Fordham 93-56 last night. That's 37 points over the team that slapped UMass around last week. If Lappas' version of square one is all we have to fear, I'll take it.

And for the record, I didn't think Flint's last class would have mattered very much, and I'm not a Lappas supporter. Funny how things get all lumped together sometimes.

Orange Julius
Senior

Post by Orange Julius » Thu Feb 26, 2004 1:08 pm

Mike, it might be shoddy journalism but if Lappas said this stuff off the record or on the record doesn;t matter to me. It gives us a real view of what the guy(Lappas) is actually thinking. The veiled threat about players leaving is inexcusable - Lappas should not have said that out loud under any circumstances. And not for nothing but Deli and the Canadian kid aren't on anyone's Top 200 list. If they are released from their schollies who wants to bet that there won't be many Top 40 teams lining up to sign them. Lappas's name is on nation TV and radio shows as being canned after the season and I think the pressure is getting to him just like it was in his last year at Nova.
Last edited by Orange Julius on Thu Feb 26, 2004 1:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Swampy
Hall of Fame

Post by Swampy » Thu Feb 26, 2004 1:22 pm

zultr wrote: Funny how things get all lumped together sometimes.
Yeah, it's a laugh-riot.

obg
Senior

Post by obg » Thu Feb 26, 2004 1:46 pm

Square One. Lappas was hired to improve the coaching then in place and to produce a program that would attract paying patrons into the seats. It seems to me that Square One should have been what we were then.
That is .500 overall and 11-5 in the A-10. What we got was 13, 11 and 9 wins per year. The man is confused. He is going down the wrong way on a one way street.
He said that if he left we would be at Square One. That would mean we would be .500 next year with a winning record in the A-10. Sounds good to me after wrong way Corrigan. Then we can move in direction that Lappas was supposed to take.
If he went from 15 wins to 17 wins then 19 wins he wouldn't be in the mess he's in now.
They may not be great, but they won't be boring!