Blaudschun Article

Anything and everything that is UMass Minutemen Basketball.
krkess
Senior

Blaudschun Article

Post by krkess » Thu Feb 26, 2004 8:42 am

Talks about the rumors of Lappas being bought out and Lappas' view on it. Buy out cost is rumored to be $525K.
http://www.boston.com/sports/colleges/m ... ppass_lap/

InnervisionsUMASS
Hall of Fame

Post by InnervisionsUMASS » Thu Feb 26, 2004 8:48 am

He says that if a change is made, UMass will take a step back, before it takes a step forward. "They can blow the whole thing up," he said. "But then the talent on this campus will leave. Trust me on that. And they are back to square one. Do they really want to do that? I don't know."

that is the only thing i am worried about... players leaving if he leaves..... but then again, if the reports are true, maybe they really dont like him that much and would stay only if he did leave.... who knows... that quote sounds more like a threat to me than anything else
Stop waiting for UMass to do something big and help UMass do something big. - Shades

Old Prof

Post by Old Prof » Thu Feb 26, 2004 9:08 am

I found it interesting that the coach used the we/they phrasing: "They can blow it up", etc.. He's clearly distancing "them" (and who are they, the administration?) from him. It would've been nice to read about "us" or "we" but I think Coach Lappas is already looking at the door and his next job.

jj
The Dude

Post by jj » Thu Feb 26, 2004 9:12 am

I love the guys on this team, but I refuse to be held hostage by a guy that threatens that they'll leave. What about the guy(s) who'll leave if he stays? Either way, we've had long enough to see that our record over the last three years has nothing to do with talent. It has to do with a coach that doesn't instill the philosophy of playing hard ALL of the time in our players.

Whatever, at this point. Teams with a LOT less talent are kicking our ass lately. So what kind of threat is that really? I hope you all stay guys, but if you decide to go, there's nothing we can do about it. Bon voyage.

Wiggum
Junior

Post by Wiggum » Thu Feb 26, 2004 9:31 am

It's pretty pathetic that he's threatening UMass with player transfers. I too would prefer the kids stay because I'd like them to experience what success at UMass can feel like, but if they decide to go somewhere else, so be it. They're hardly irreplacable and if it makes it that much easier for the new coach to use scholarships to get "his" players in then all the better.

How about this one? "And they are back to square one. Do they really want to do that? I don't know."

Yes, Coach Dead Man Walking, we DESPERATELY want to get back to square one. We weren't in that bad of a place before you were hired and three years out we're getting further and further from square one every season.

He can't get out of town soon enough.

Gene Frenkle
Freshman

Post by Gene Frenkle » Thu Feb 26, 2004 10:02 am

It is pathetic. I'd rather be at square one than off the board completely.

jj
The Dude

Post by jj » Thu Feb 26, 2004 10:07 am

WE NEED MORE COWBELL!!!!!!!!

obg
Senior

Post by obg » Thu Feb 26, 2004 10:10 am

Old Prof wrote:I found it interesting that the coach used the we/they phrasing: "They can blow it up", etc.. He's clearly distancing "them" (and who are they, the administration?) from him. It would've been nice to read about "us" or "we" but I think Coach Lappas is already looking at the door and his next job.
That bit jumped of the page to me. Who is the we? Is it the fans, the Admin. or is he playing 'Me against the world?'

The other thing that jumped out was what IV posted above.

"He says that if a change is made, UMass will take a step back, before it takes a step forward. "They can blow the whole thing up," he said. "But then the talent on this campus will leave. Trust me on that. And they are back to square one. Do they really want to do that? I don't know."'

People will leave regardless of the coaching situation. It has been part of the problem since he has been here.
What has he been doing? Polling the players about leaving. Maybe he is telling them to go because the new coach will have three years like he did lose, lose, lose. The man comes off as a Snob.
They may not be great, but they won't be boring!

Hall of Fame

Post by 78 » Thu Feb 26, 2004 10:14 am

Lappas comes across as a total ass by basically threatening the administration in this article -- ""But then the talent on this campus will leave. Trust me on that. And they are back to square one. Do they really want to do that? I don't know." If that is not a veild threat -- maybe nopt so veiled -- I don't know what is. The "trust me on that" comment really bothers me. At this point it doesn't matter. Please Mr. McCutcheon, cut the cord as soon as is feasibly possible.
Bamford has erased McCutcheon

FRDreams
Sophomore

Post by FRDreams » Thu Feb 26, 2004 10:18 am

Is Scubba Steve freakin kidding me. He is in no position to be making outragous threats. That is the first time I have ever heard a coach use his players leverage. I hope this is proof to all the people who say Lap is a "nice guy" that he really is not. Also, I know now he will not resign. He knows his career is done and this may be his last good coaching job for a while. See you at the Fall River CYO Steve. You will be hard pressed to win there with your coaching abilities.

Rocks22
Hall of Fame

Post by Rocks22 » Thu Feb 26, 2004 10:27 am

His threat that the talent will leave when he gets cut loose would have a little more weight to it if THE TALENT HASN'T BEEN LEAVING ALL ALONG EVEN WHILE HE WAS GETTING EXTENSIONS. This guy is completely friggin delusional.

gui98
Junior

Post by gui98 » Thu Feb 26, 2004 10:39 am

Did Coach Steve get the memo that he lost by 15 to Fordam recently?....Square one looks REALLY F'ing GOOD RIGHT ABOUT NOW!!!!!

MassMan06
Hall of Fame

Post by MassMan06 » Thu Feb 26, 2004 10:52 am

I am thrilled by this article. We were all worried that the school may not want to buy out his contract, right? Well if he goes out and pisses everyone off, then it makes it that much easier to justify getting rid of him. For all we know, they may have had no plans to get rid of Lappas. That moron accomplished absolutely nothing except dig his own grave. And as far as getting back to square one, where the heck are we now? Looks like square one to me. I couldn't possibly see how this team could get any worse.

vanmeter
Senior

Post by vanmeter » Thu Feb 26, 2004 11:23 am

It is obvious that Lappas has been using his friendship with Bladschunn as a forum to display his thoughts.
This is the 3rd time this year that Bladshunn has indicated that Umass supporters expect too much from the team and we need time to rebuild. The truth of the matter is that Lappas did not need to rebuild, rather the coach who inherits his mess has to rebuild.
Where Bladschunn is wrong is that nobody expect a final four, however nobody expect to be at the bottom of the A10 where we now are under Lappas. I had a long letter written to Bladschunn, however decided it served no purpose, rather I am going to direct it to McCutcheon and rebut everything Bladschunn wrote.
Lappas, who has used every excuse he can since he got here, now says we lost 3 players this year to injury. Who is he referring to except Lee. He had no intention of using Cox or Kyoute, however he uses their absense as a problem.
He is now threatening players leaving etc. Who does he mean - more than likely Bowers or Maxwell. Freeman, our best player, won't leave as he would have to sit out another year and, as a prop, would lose 1 year of eligibility. My feelings is that while Maxwell may leave if Lappas goes, Bowers may stay. Did you hear Bowers comments about his dissapointment about the season. A change of coach may actually keep him. After these 3 who else is there. Chadwick will bea senior and I doubt that very much if Vig or Lasme would leave.
In any event up until a few games ago I was not sure how I felt about Lappas leaving. Now I most definitely am in favor of it. I will be seeing John McCutcheon in the next week and plan to give him my opinion on this matter.
Lappas must go!

MikeUMA
Site Admin

Post by MikeUMA » Thu Feb 26, 2004 11:34 am

Read this one if you're about to add your 2¢ in...

I got an inside track on what happened with Lap's comments. As I understand it, Blaudschun pretty much ambushed Lappas last night, outside of the regular post-game press conference. Blaud was putting things on the record that were off it, and even the those things that he put on were taken out of context.

Do you really think Lap would have given a reporter quotes like that? And if he did, why didn't Chimelis report it in this morning's Republican? I'm eager to see Vautour's work this afternoon, but I don't think he'll have anything like that either.

I've lost count at the number of times the Globe has tried to fu@% UMass. This is another in the long line.