Alternatives

Anything and everything that is UMass Minutemen Basketball.
Webster 75
Freshman

Alternatives

Post by Webster 75 » Tue Feb 17, 2004 11:16 am

Before jumping on the let's fire Lappas bandwagon I thought it might be useful to take a sober assessment of realistic replacement candidates. Assuming the UMass position would attract similiar candidates than it did last time, let's look at the track record of the other three finalists, Jim Laranaga, Fran McCaffery and Jim Baron. Both Laranaga and McCaffery are still at their same schools so the rebuilding logic doesn't work. Laranaga's teams in the CAA have settled into fourth place this year and fifth place last. Medicore teams in a weaker conference. McCaffery's teams the last two years in the Southern Conference have been abysmal, 7-22 last year and 8-14 this year. Jim Baron with a more veteran team than UMass is a half game behind us in the A10 East.

You would be hard pressed to convince me that any of the other finalists would have Umass in any better shape than Lappas. At least with Lappas we have the nucleus of a very solid team. In Baron's case at URI not a single time this year has any of his players won either the player of the week or the newcomer of the week award. Clearly, Lappas has done a superior recruiting job than Baron. Until someone can convince me that UMass could find a coach who can do a better job than Lappas in coaching this current groub of Lappas recruited players, that will make up the core of this team for the next two years, than I for one prefer consistency to a revolving door. Let's see what a year's worth of experience coupled with a Mark Carrier and two new cameo players mean to this program. If next year brings more of the same than it's time to look elsewhere. But patience is sometimes preferrable to rashness.

DEM
Senior

Post by DEM » Tue Feb 17, 2004 4:09 pm

Some good points there. I stood where you're standing earlier this season. But we are nearing three years of "continuity", and really, there are no signs that it will do us any good to stay on course.

I think there are better alternatives available. Glenn Miller from Brown has a very good history of overachieving at the schools he has coached at. A successful major assistant coach like Tony Barbee might be a good choice...look at what Karl Hobbs, a former UConn assistant is doing at GW. There are other great coaches out there waiting for a chance to move up. Can UMass attract any of them? I think so, but in my opinion the AD needs to put out some feelers before we make any moves, and make sure that the desire is out there from the right candidates. If it happens that there isn't, then maybe we'll have no choice but to continue on this path for another year or so. But I don't think it will be necessary to do that. We'll see.

Rudy
Junior

Post by Rudy » Tue Feb 17, 2004 4:17 pm

Flash in the pan Fran. His stock fell pretty quick.

ShadesOf96and98
Senior

Post by ShadesOf96and98 » Tue Feb 17, 2004 4:25 pm

Carrier's first name is LAWRENCE...rumor has it he is tearing up the intermural circuit and should become a big-time 3-point shooter next season

Floyd
Hall of Fame

Post by Floyd » Tue Feb 17, 2004 7:45 pm

Shades, I certainly hope he's rippin it up on the intramural scene. This kid had a bigtime reputation a few years back from what others have posted, hopefully he'll be rippin up the A-10 next year. I'm looking forward to seeing him next year more than any other incoming player.

Spidie

Post by Spidie » Tue Feb 17, 2004 10:26 pm

What are Glen Miller's roots? Could he get recruits to Amherst?

eldonabe
Hall of Fame

Re: Alternatives

Post by eldonabe » Wed Feb 18, 2004 9:05 am

Webster 75 wrote:
You would be hard pressed to convince me that any of the other finalists would have Umass in any better shape than Lappas.

Let me give Wiggum's answer to this statement....

There are 310 other division 1 teams and 310 other division one assistant coaches - ANY OF THEM would do at this point.

obg
Senior

Post by obg » Wed Feb 18, 2004 10:10 am

Maybe he would be right!
They may not be great, but they won't be boring!

twisters tavern
Junior

Post by twisters tavern » Wed Feb 18, 2004 10:17 am

Hey OBG! That is a catchy chant you have developed. Can you come up with a rhyme for 36 to represent the number of wins in the Lappas era?

Please have this before Saturday so I can start chanting it at the Fordham game.

Cheers!

gui98
Junior

Re: Alternatives

Post by gui98 » Wed Feb 18, 2004 10:19 am

[quote="Webster 75"]
In Baron's case at URI not a single time this year has any of his players won either the player of the week or the newcomer of the week award. Clearly, Lappas has done a superior recruiting job than Baron. [/quote]

ummm ok. Jim Baron was a-10 coach of the year, year 2 into his rebuilding from shit tenure at URI. Lappas is a "hell of a recruiter" with a bad record. Oh wait I forgot, yound talented players really arent that good.

Webster 75
Freshman

Post by Webster 75 » Wed Feb 18, 2004 10:59 am

Look at the URI roster and look at the UMass roster and tell me that you wouldn't rather be heading into next year with our kids. Clearly Lappas' performance has been disappointing. The only point I'm making is that it is difficult to turn a program around and at least the players are in place who have the ability to compete for an A10 title over the next few years. If these players had packed the season in and weren't continuing to play hard it would be a different story. Given what the other three finalists have done over the last three years it woulldn't have mattered which one we hired. We would be going through the same rebuilding process. I'd rather give Lappas one more year to turn this around than start this process all over again with a new coach and the uncertainty of his success.

DEM
Senior

Post by DEM » Wed Feb 18, 2004 11:04 am

Spidie wrote:What are Glen Miller's roots? Could he get recruits to Amherst?
He's from the area. He was an assistant at UConn under Calhoun before he took Connecticut College and then Brown University to new heights as a head coach. Hard to say how he'd be as a recruiter, but you'd have to think that he has some ties after coaching in New England for so long.

obg
Senior

Post by obg » Wed Feb 18, 2004 11:21 am

twisters tavern wrote:Hey OBG! That is a catchy chant you have developed. Can you come up with a rhyme for 36 to represent the number of wins in the Lappas era?

Please have this before Saturday so I can start chanting it at the Fordham game.

Cheers!
It's hard to find words that rhyme with turkey!
They may not be great, but they won't be boring!

Minutemaniac74
Senior

Post by Minutemaniac74 » Wed Feb 18, 2004 1:57 pm

so what exactly makes everyone here think that Miller would be a savior to the program? His 17-12 record last year, or his 10-11 record this year?

nale
Hall of Fame

Post by nale » Wed Feb 18, 2004 2:15 pm

Minutemaniac74 wrote:so what exactly makes everyone here think that Miller would be a savior to the program? His 17-12 record last year, or his 10-11 record this year?
Minutemanic74
What makes you think EVERYONE thinks Miller would be a savior?
Just because one person (DEM) talks about him as a possible replacement
for Lappas doesn't mean EVERYONE thinks he is a savior. Not even DEM called him a savior.
"This is my dream job''