UMass transfer portal news - 2024

Anything and everything that is UMass Minutemen Basketball.
Floyd
Hall of Fame

Re: UMass transfer portal news - 2024

Post by Floyd » Wed Apr 17, 2024 12:21 pm

^ sure, that's why there's so many bars around town!
Time to Win

NilesGold
Hall of Fame

Post by NilesGold » Wed Apr 17, 2024 12:30 pm

JoleonLescottsHair wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 12:11 pm
NilesGold wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 12:02 pm
LS71 wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 10:20 am ^^ My extra curriculars were three part time jobs to help pay for college. I didn't get a free ride.
Now you just sound like a bitter old man talking about tough you had it and no one that comes after you should have it any easier.

Someone is willing to pay kids money, in some cases life-altering money, and very few of them will make the NBA or ever have a shot at making a lot of money playing basketball after college. I don't think it's fair to criticize a kid who chooses to take advantage of this small window of opportunity to set themselves up for the future.
No, he sounds like a dude who worked hard and has some perspective. Being rightfully critical of entitlement culture (which is very real, especially post-COVID) does not make someone a bitter old man. What’s your excuse?
I really don't want to go down a rabbit hole with you on this, no one else will appreciate it, so hopefully this is my last post on this matter...

What's my excuse for what? I don't follow where you going with that, and it's probably for the best.

I'm not convinced anyone posting on here knows what it's like to be in the position of these kids. To spend thousands of hours in the pressure cooker that is D1 athletics and to try and get through all of their school work on top of it.

Go ahead and think, feel, or say what you want, but I don't think it's fair to criticize and belittle someone like Matt Cross who gives 100% to the school that they're at, and then takes advantage of their situation and opportunity and cashes in. If he chooses to accept the offer from the Mass Collective and come back here for another year that would be amazing, but if not, he doesn't owe us anything more than what he's given us.

JoleonLescottsHair
Hall of Fame

Post by JoleonLescottsHair » Wed Apr 17, 2024 12:45 pm

NilesGold wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 12:30 pm but I don't think it's fair to criticize and belittle someone like Matt Cross ….
No, much better to belittle a long time fan by calling him a bitter old man.

Upstate10
Senior

Post by Upstate10 » Wed Apr 17, 2024 12:46 pm

JoleonLescottsHair wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 12:45 pm
NilesGold wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 12:30 pm but I don't think it's fair to criticize and belittle someone like Matt Cross ….
Fine, he is a bitter YOUNG man :lol: :lol:

JoleonLescottsHair
Hall of Fame

Post by JoleonLescottsHair » Wed Apr 17, 2024 12:52 pm

Upstate10 wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 12:46 pm
JoleonLescottsHair wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 12:45 pm
Fine, he is a bitter YOUNG man :lol: :lol:
Ok, boomer. 🤣😂

eldonabe
Hall of Fame

Post by eldonabe » Wed Apr 17, 2024 1:31 pm

LS71 wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 10:20 am ^^ My extra curriculars were three part time jobs to help pay for college. I didn't get a free ride.
Now you just sound like a bitter old man talking about tough you had it and no one that comes after you should have it any easier.

Someone is willing to pay kids money, in some cases life-altering money, and very few of them will make the NBA or ever have a shot at making a lot of money playing basketball after college. I don't think it's fair to criticize a kid who chooses to take advantage of this small window of opportunity to set themselves up for the future.
No, he sounds like a dude who worked hard and has some perspective. Being rightfully critical of entitlement culture (which is very real, especially post-COVID) does not make someone a bitter old man. What’s your excuse?
+1

LS71
Hall of Fame

Post by LS71 » Wed Apr 17, 2024 1:40 pm

First of all....I did not belittle Matt Cross. Joleon got it right....my criticism is directed at the entitlement culture which indeed very real.

This 'old' man is hardly bitter. Just grateful for the opportunity that mot people never get and that, unfortunately, many today take for granted. Those who do know me and my life's story are surprised that I am not angry and bitter, BTW. I'm happy to expand on that if you want to know the details, but for for the purposes of this conversation, let me be clear....you posted that I criticized a kid....which I didn't do...who chooses to "take advantage of this small window of opportunity to set themselves up for the future."

I thought the free ride to college was exactly that...offering a student athlete to get a free degree to set him/herself up for the future. But now instead of chasing a degree while playing ball, they chase money in order to play ball for the highest bidder. The interest in earning a degree seems to have become collateral damage.

The kids who've made multiple trips through the portal should all transfer to the University of the Benjamins. That way they won't be lying when they say that they're playing for the name on the front of the jersey.
"Win without boasting, lose without crying." -- Julius Erving

LS71
Hall of Fame

Post by LS71 » Wed Apr 17, 2024 1:53 pm

I'm not convinced anyone posting on here knows what it's like to be in the position of these kids. To spend thousands of hours in the pressure cooker that is D1 athletics and to try and get through all of their school work on top of it.

Go ahead and think, feel, or say what you want, but I don't think it's fair to criticize and belittle someone like Matt Cross who gives 100% to the school that they're at, and then takes advantage of their situation and opportunity and cashes in. If he chooses to accept the offer from the Mass Collective and come back here for another year that would be amazing, but if not, he doesn't owe us anything more than what he's given us.
Bold 1. I agree that there's pressure on these kids but there's just as much, if not more, pressure on kids who come from poor families who have to work to pay their way though school who don't have athletics as a fall back.

Bold 2. I'm not saying Matt and others don't give 100% to the schools they're attending but how do you know that they do?

Bold 3. And we don't owe him anymore that what we've given him.
"Win without boasting, lose without crying." -- Julius Erving

InnervisionsUMASS
Hall of Fame

Post by InnervisionsUMASS » Wed Apr 17, 2024 3:41 pm

The general transfer news didn't get any better today:

https://www.espn.com/college-football/s ... ligibility
Stop waiting for UMass to do something big and help UMass do something big. - Shades

Old Cage
Hall of Fame

Post by Old Cage » Wed Apr 17, 2024 3:50 pm

Eventually a guy will play for us the first half, sign a UConn Collective contract at halftime, and play against us the second half.

Slip, Slidin’ Away…
"Jack didn’t have any envy in him," Calipari said. "He was the greatest coach to ever coach here."

eldonabe
Hall of Fame

Post by eldonabe » Wed Apr 17, 2024 4:24 pm

InnervisionsUMASS wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 3:41 pm The general transfer news didn't get any better today:

WTF.... Mid season transfers?

This is literally like a professional trade deadline.

umasscollective
Junior

Post by umasscollective » Wed Apr 17, 2024 4:48 pm

eldonabe wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 4:24 pm
InnervisionsUMASS wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 3:41 pm The general transfer news didn't get any better today:

WTF.... Mid season transfers?

This is literally like a professional trade deadline.
No. There is no change since the rules in place since December. Mid season transfers still are not allowed. This simply codifies the December injunction.

NilesGold
Hall of Fame

Post by NilesGold » Wed Apr 17, 2024 6:06 pm

LS71 wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 1:40 pm The kids who've made multiple trips through the portal should all transfer to the University of the Benjamins. That way they won't be lying when they say that they're playing for the name on the front of the jersey.
Are players saying that they're playing for the name on the front of the jersey? I always thought it was pretty obvious that players picked a school for much the same reason anyone picks a school to attend... it's a place they can go, and its the place they think is the best fit for them and their particular needs/desires.

Thinks have changed a bit with NIL, now on top of all the other stuff that gets factored in, you have the added complication of $. I'm sure that for some kids they just go where the biggest check is, but I'm willing to bet a lot more goes into the decision for most of them... but at the end of the day they're choosing between available options where they think it will benefit them the most, and exactly how they come to that conclusion is probably a little different for everyone.

Blaming the entitlement culture seems a little misplaced here. These are kids who are being offered money based on what they can provide. Now that NIL is in play, I'm not seeing any of them complaining that they're not being compensated enough, or being worked too hard. They're not sitting out and collecting unemployment. Just an added wrinkle here... a lot of these kids are being advised/influenced/directed by the adults around them.

vanmeter
Hall of Fame

Post by vanmeter » Wed Apr 17, 2024 7:04 pm

Niles
How much money do you think Matt Cross made for the University? (Explain)
UMass made alot more money for Matt Cross than he did for UMass.

minutefanjsf
Hall of Fame

Post by minutefanjsf » Wed Apr 17, 2024 7:18 pm

vanmeter wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 7:04 pm Niles
How much money do you think Matt Cross made for the University? (Explain)
UMass made alot more money for Matt Cross than he did for UMass.
Matt Cross was partially responsible for some of the biggest crowds in the Mullins center in years. Give him 500 more per game at $20 a game for maybe half the season. So, 150k. I believe I am being conservative as well.