UMass transfer portal news - 2024

Anything and everything that is UMass Minutemen Basketball.
JoleonLescottsHair
Hall of Fame

Re: UMass transfer portal news - 2024

Post by JoleonLescottsHair » Tue Apr 16, 2024 9:34 pm

^ so blind faith that more money is just generally a good thing?

umasscollective
Junior

Post by umasscollective » Tue Apr 16, 2024 9:51 pm

JoleonLescottsHair wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 9:23 pm
umasscollective wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 8:49 pm
69MG wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 8:29 pm Another tweet from Frank. After his last tweet we heard about Matt Cross. I hope this doesn't repeat itself. Seriously, if Frank has 2 key transfers coming in, I will feel a lot better about this day.

👀🥊👉 https://buy.stripe.com/fZefZD8uGdWncXCdSO
Why? With all due respect (And I mean that) why should anyone pump money into the fund? We have lost our two first team A10 players and our starting point guard. Was there a threshold we failed to meet to keep them or just a more general ‘donate to build’ appeal? Similarly, are Frank’s two “great calls” contingent on more contributions to the Collective? If so, who specifically is on hold and how much? Again, with respect, posting a link and asking for contributions with the vague promise that it is necessary doesn't really make a strong case.
Apparently you didn’t join the meeting tonight.

JoleonLescottsHair
Hall of Fame

Post by JoleonLescottsHair » Tue Apr 16, 2024 9:58 pm

umasscollective wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 9:51 pm
Apparently you didn’t join the meeting tonight.
No, I didn’t. That would be accurate. I believe it was for members. But feel free to share any secrets of the temple if you're asking for money. Like I said, with all due respect.

DoctorJ
Hall of Fame

Post by DoctorJ » Tue Apr 16, 2024 10:13 pm

Looks like the list of players we have contacted that are still available has contracted. Beagle, Spillers and Alexis all found homes.

Best case for Frank's good news*2= 1. We land an attractive big and 2. Matt can't resist and comes back.

Wouldn't mind Ajogbor and Gray as replacements to Cross and Cohen.
Refuse To Lose!!!

inthescoop
Hall of Fame

Post by inthescoop » Tue Apr 16, 2024 11:30 pm

Frank Martin just had another great call

My first thought was.. uh oh

TruBluMaroon
Hall of Fame

Post by TruBluMaroon » Wed Apr 17, 2024 3:54 am

inthescoop wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 11:30 pm Frank Martin just had another great call

My first thought was.. uh oh
Maybe he found someone to cut his grass😁

Floyd
Hall of Fame

Post by Floyd » Wed Apr 17, 2024 5:05 am

Maybe the call was someone calling him about a coaching opening :shock: :lol:
Time to Win

TheInsider
Hall of Fame

Post by TheInsider » Wed Apr 17, 2024 5:14 am

Maybe he was on the phone with the president of Ukraine

kdogg8173
Senior

Post by kdogg8173 » Wed Apr 17, 2024 7:00 am

It's more than just money, it's the new mindset of players. Look at duke, they just lost like 8 guys. You can't tell me that isn't gobs of cash down there to pay. It's the lack of wanting to compete, grass is always greener, thinking they are better than they are, etc. Wait until the inevitable expansion of the tourney, then nobody will REALLY give a shit. The last two championship games were already lowest rated games in history.

NilesGold
Hall of Fame

Post by NilesGold » Wed Apr 17, 2024 7:28 am

kdogg8173 wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 7:00 am It's more than just money, it's the new mindset of players. Look at duke, they just lost like 8 guys. You can't tell me that isn't gobs of cash down there to pay. It's the lack of wanting to compete, grass is always greener, thinking they are better than they are, etc. Wait until the inevitable expansion of the tourney, then nobody will REALLY give a shit. The last two championship games were already lowest rated games in history.
Change can be hard, it's natural that some will find the changed landscape of NCAA basketball to be troublesome. I don't fault any of you if you feel that way, but I would encourage you to take some time to sort through those feelings.

For decades, college basketball players were giving thousands of hours of free labor in exchange for a college degree, and the adults around them were making money (some becoming very wealthy) off of their backs. For all intents and purposes, colleges had a monopoly on 18-21 year old basketball players, and they severely limited the ability of those players to move from one school to another. What many often viewed as loyalty, I suspect was more often that not just a lack of options.

Players may be loyal or partial to a school, but for someone who won't make the NBA, and doesn't come from extreme wealth... give them the option of $300k for some P6 school or $100k from who they're "loyal" to, and how can you fault them for taking the $300k? That's probably more money than they'll ever make again for a year and can set them up for success for the rest of their lives.

wmmmfan
Senior

Post by wmmmfan » Wed Apr 17, 2024 7:53 am

It’s extremely frustrating to watch players we’ve put our support behind leave for other universities on an annual basis but unfortunately that’s where we are today with college athletics. Universities with the most funding are going to use Low Majors and Mid Majors as the minor leagues and select players to upgrade their roster. LM and MM will have to grab from the HM cast offs, HS seniors and Juco’s to replace their losses.
Someone mentioned Duke losing 6-8 players, it is unbelievable to me a team like Duke has turnover numbers like that and they may not be done losing players. I read somewhere yesterday TJ Power is considering leaving so they may have more work to do. Hopefully Matt reviews his options and realizes he has a greater opportunity here to be Option 1 and enhance his professional opportunities.

I believe in Frank and his staff’s ability to find basketball players who will fit his style of play and grow as a team each year. I also believe the Collective is working hard to provide our players with the best financial opportunities they can to make UMass a destination for players and to keep our core as intact as they can each season. If we as fans can do what we can to support the team and the Collective I believe we will grow this together and these frustrations we feel today will be minimized in the future.

Go UMass!

Floyd
Hall of Fame

Post by Floyd » Wed Apr 17, 2024 8:20 am

NilesGold wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 7:28 am
kdogg8173 wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 7:00 am It's more than just money, it's the new mindset of players. Look at duke, they just lost like 8 guys. You can't tell me that isn't gobs of cash down there to pay. It's the lack of wanting to compete, grass is always greener, thinking they are better than they are, etc. Wait until the inevitable expansion of the tourney, then nobody will REALLY give a shit. The last two championship games were already lowest rated games in history.

For decades, college basketball players were giving thousands of hours of free labor in exchange for a college degree, and the adults around them were making money (some becoming very wealthy) off of their backs.
But Niles is it free labor if the value of the free ride and all the perks are worth 50, 60, 70+K per year? Think of a kid getting out of school and their first job pays that. Corporations make big money off their employees, should they have to share the profits with all the employees? I get it, everyone wants a cut of the profits, but the value of what they get in a free education and all the rest of it is hardly getting nothing. I know lots of people who would love an opportunity like that

Everyone has their own opinion about it but I don't see how it will work itself out without some programs just being eliminated
Time to Win

LS71
Hall of Fame

Post by LS71 » Wed Apr 17, 2024 8:28 am

There was a time when those “thousands of hours of free labor” were considered extra-curricular activities.

At what point will high schooll players want to get paid too?
"Win without boasting, lose without crying." -- Julius Erving

kdogg8173
Senior

Post by kdogg8173 » Wed Apr 17, 2024 8:39 am

NilesGold wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 7:28 am
Change can be hard, it's natural that some will find the changed landscape of NCAA basketball to be troublesome. I don't fault any of you if you feel that way, but I would encourage you to take some time to sort through those feelings.

For decades, college basketball players were giving thousands of hours of free labor in exchange for a college degree, and the adults around them were making money (some becoming very wealthy) off of their backs. For all intents and purposes, colleges had a monopoly on 18-21 year old basketball players, and they severely limited the ability of those players to move from one school to another. What many often viewed as loyalty, I suspect was more often that not just a lack of options.

Players may be loyal or partial to a school, but for someone who won't make the NBA, and doesn't come from extreme wealth... give them the option of $300k for some P6 school or $100k from who they're "loyal" to, and how can you fault them for taking the $300k? That's probably more money than they'll ever make again for a year and can set them up for success for the rest of their lives.
Literally made no mention that these kids shouldn't get money so not sure why you are quoting me. But go off.

Upstate10
Senior

Post by Upstate10 » Wed Apr 17, 2024 9:01 am

Can we just have one thread about how shitty college sports are now? It takes over the entire forum.