2024-25 Season

Anything and everything that is UMass Minutemen Basketball.
NilesGold
Hall of Fame

Re: 2024-25 Season

Post by NilesGold » Thu Mar 21, 2024 8:06 am

natwam2547 wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 7:45 am
Upstate10 wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 7:10 pm I couldn't make the zoom but my guess is Cross and Sool. Really, really hope I am wrong on both. They are both huge next season.
I have no idea why Diggins would leave, he's thriving here. Cross I can see. I'll say it's DHS and Foster.
Diggins has a child, presumably in the Philadelphia area? Either way, he can probably parlay this past season into some NIL $, but who knows if UMass will want to pay him what he can get in the open market. Just my 2c, Diggins was a competent guard, but too inconsistent, not a great defender, not great at creating offense, and just overall not a great fit.

DHS seems unlikely to leave, his stats don't pop out and I doubt he can get all that much NIL in the open market.

Foster, Worthy, and Majok I would think are likely to leave as it's hard to see them ever sniffing the rotation.

Floyd
Hall of Fame

Post by Floyd » Thu Mar 21, 2024 8:16 am

Tough to say on any of them. Kids can improve greatly, some more than others. It's all tough sledding right now
Time to Win

Zeke
Freshman

Post by Zeke » Thu Mar 21, 2024 9:07 am

Why are we guessing about who's leaving? We'll find out soon enough.
Regarding Chad Venning , if you're saying the possibility is "interesting", well I can't say what our angle on him could be or why he'd want to come play for a team they have always beaten. But, his worthiness and potential impact is more than "interesting" . Having watched him play a couple times this year, I'd say he's better all around than any 5 we've had at Umass in years. And if Martin really is looking for a back to the basket "5", he's perfect

Juice Stand
Hall of Fame

Post by Juice Stand » Thu Mar 21, 2024 9:09 am

Zeke wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 9:07 am Why are we guessing about who's leaving? We'll find out soon enough.
Because it's a message board where people post their opinions about the basketball team?

Juice Stand
Hall of Fame

Post by Juice Stand » Thu Mar 21, 2024 9:15 am

NilesGold wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 8:06 am
natwam2547 wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 7:45 am
Upstate10 wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 7:10 pm I couldn't make the zoom but my guess is Cross and Sool. Really, really hope I am wrong on both. They are both huge next season.
I have no idea why Diggins would leave, he's thriving here. Cross I can see. I'll say it's DHS and Foster.
Diggins has a child, presumably in the Philadelphia area? Either way, he can probably parlay this past season into some NIL $, but who knows if UMass will want to pay him what he can get in the open market. Just my 2c, Diggins was a competent guard, but too inconsistent, not a great defender, not great at creating offense, and just overall not a great fit.

DHS seems unlikely to leave, his stats don't pop out and I doubt he can get all that much NIL in the open market.

Foster, Worthy, and Majok I would think are likely to leave as it's hard to see them ever sniffing the rotation.
Just commenting on Worthy. I think he's a candidate to leave, but not for the reason you mentioned. He's from California and a lower level would be good for him, but it's hard to say that he wouldn't sniff the rotation when he played a pretty decent amount this year as a freshman. He logged minutes in 25 games, averaging over 11 mpg.

While I don't think he excelled in anything this year, I could see him developing into a tough defensive minded guard that can be valuable off the bench. I don't have much hope for him as a point guard, shot maker, or shot creator though, which is why I think he should look for a lower level.

Floyd
Hall of Fame

Post by Floyd » Thu Mar 21, 2024 9:28 am

Could all be true Juice but people said the same about Keon last year. I'd like to see him stay, develop this off-season, and see how he looks next year. I like the kid
Time to Win