2024-25 Season

Anything and everything that is UMass Minutemen Basketball.
PreecherJenkins
Senior

Re: 2024-25 Season

Post by PreecherJenkins » Mon Mar 18, 2024 5:54 pm

TheOFFSeason wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 1:59 pm
WillHerndonFan wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 1:33 pm
DoctorJ wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 1:22 pm I'd love Cross to stay but doubt it.

Can we keep DHS, Diggins, Keon, Jayden, Curry ???
I wouldn’t be surprised if any of these guys leave as NIL Lottery will be raining cash! Frank needs to mostly recruit 4/5th year players with reasonable NIL expectations as most successful teams in the A10 were heavily stacked with most Senior/Grad players. The freshmen recruitment model doesn’t work that well anymore as we only landed two freshmen who could play right away in Curry (offense) and Ndjigue (defense). With 4/5th year players, you mostly know what you are getting (I.e. Cross and Cohen) and you can compete right away and can plan for there departure if they only have one year of eligibility left.,
Not picking on you but I see this a lot and it’s not accurate: Jayden was as valuable on offense as he was on defense…Cross and Cohen(especially Josh) owe a lot to him for their all league selections, he got the ball to them directly or reversed the ball quickly which led to the entry pass. He was also the most vocal with regards to getting guys in the correct spots.
jayden is a stud, he is going to be really good.

Josh Cohen could not guard the door at McMurphy's . 16 blocks on the season at 6'10'' is PATHETIC. Bye bye
"You are what your record says you are" Coach Bill P.

JUST SAY NO TO THE MAC

69MG
Hall of Fame

Post by 69MG » Mon Mar 18, 2024 6:42 pm

Preach, you are being mean and unfair. So he only has 16 blocks. We all knew defense was not his forte when we signed him. Do you not realize how many games he helped us win?

vanmeter
Hall of Fame

Post by vanmeter » Mon Mar 18, 2024 6:56 pm

Anyone knocking Josh does not have a clue. Guy made 1st team Atlantic 10 (with Cross) Last time we had a first team A10 was Chaz 10 years ago.

umiejoe
Freshman

Post by umiejoe » Mon Mar 18, 2024 8:09 pm

Let him go. Maybe if he does the sign of the cross more at another school his free throw shooting will get better.

WillHerndonFan
Junior

Post by WillHerndonFan » Mon Mar 18, 2024 9:20 pm

PreecherJenkins wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 5:54 pm
TheOFFSeason wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 1:59 pm
WillHerndonFan wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 1:33 pm

I wouldn’t be surprised if any of these guys leave as NIL Lottery will be raining cash! Frank needs to mostly recruit 4/5th year players with reasonable NIL expectations as most successful teams in the A10 were heavily stacked with most Senior/Grad players. The freshmen recruitment model doesn’t work that well anymore as we only landed two freshmen who could play right away in Curry (offense) and Ndjigue (defense). With 4/5th year players, you mostly know what you are getting (I.e. Cross and Cohen) and you can compete right away and can plan for there departure if they only have one year of eligibility left.,
Not picking on you but I see this a lot and it’s not accurate: Jayden was as valuable on offense as he was on defense…Cross and Cohen(especially Josh) owe a lot to him for their all league selections, he got the ball to them directly or reversed the ball quickly which led to the entry pass. He was also the most vocal with regards to getting guys in the correct spots.
jayden is a stud, he is going to be really good.

Josh Cohen could not guard the door at McMurphy's . 16 blocks on the season at 6'10'' is PATHETIC. Bye bye

Big fan of Jayden. And he does move the ball around. However. He can’t shoot and teams in the second half of the year teams wanted him to shoot. If he commits to being a better shooter then he is an A10/MAC first teamer. Of Course he’ll be gone if he get better!

Floyd
Hall of Fame

Post by Floyd » Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:44 am

Jayden is different. He'll work on his shot all off-season and combine that with everything else he does well and you just can't find that everywhere. His value to the team is huge. He's what you want at UMass
Time to Win

Juice Stand
Hall of Fame

Post by Juice Stand » Tue Mar 19, 2024 6:24 am

I think he's our next Matt Cross. Not as good a shooter as Matt, and a little smaller, but he has all those hustle traits that Matt has. I thought he was our best player in the VCU loss, aside from Rahsool's crazy 2nd half. He kept us in the game early with all his offensive rebounding. On a day when nobody could shoot, he went 3-6 for 8 pts, 7 rebs, and 2 blocks. The future is bright for Jayden, I just hope it's here at UMass*.

*keep your snarky comments to yourself. I know its the wild west, don't get your hopes up, everybody is going to leave and UMass is cursed, bla bla bla.

Floyd
Hall of Fame

Post by Floyd » Tue Mar 19, 2024 6:31 am

Juice, you seem rattled :lol: it's OK, we'll adjust and next year when we're getting ready for our 1st tourney game, you'll look back and laugh at all this
Time to Win

Juice Stand
Hall of Fame

Post by Juice Stand » Tue Mar 19, 2024 6:42 am

Thanks for your concern Floyd. I'm good, not rattled at all. The transfer portal really doesn't bother me that much. I'm a UMass fan first and foremost, so whatever team they put on the floor, I'll be there to support. Having Jayden there will make them that much easier to root for.

Floyd
Hall of Fame

Post by Floyd » Tue Mar 19, 2024 7:10 am

Yup, same here. Just bustin ya
Time to Win

NilesGold
Hall of Fame

Post by NilesGold » Tue Mar 19, 2024 7:32 am

WillHerndonFan wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 9:20 pm Big fan of Jayden. And he does move the ball around. However. He can’t shoot and teams in the second half of the year teams wanted him to shoot.
He can shoot, and teams were defending against his shot because when they let him get open 3's earlier in the year he was making them at a high percentage.

And as Floyd said, if there's anyone who I trust to put in the time & effort to get better, it's Jayden.

I would hate to lose Cross, but I'm kind of resigned to that happening unless we can secure a giant bag for him... and if we don't, well then we'll have a great chance to add 1-2 really good players with that NIL money... but if we lose Jayden it would probably gut me.

Floyd
Hall of Fame

Post by Floyd » Tue Mar 19, 2024 8:08 am

This is what My thought is on Cross. 1, he's bounced around already a few times, does he want to do it again? 2, this team gives him the time and opportunities to play big minutes and succeed. 3, this level seems good for him and I think Frank pushes these kids to get the best out of them. If you're comfortable all the time, you don't progress, you need to feel pressure to improve. And 4, he's getting $ right? So is it all about the $$, or playing on a team to improve at a place you're comfortable?

Hope he comes back and we can get some good front court help because I think there's a nice mix here to again have a nice season and take the next step. If not, the transfer portal will be lengthy with others who can fill the spot
Time to Win

Worcester_To_Amherst
Senior

Post by Worcester_To_Amherst » Tue Mar 19, 2024 8:31 am

Agreed that Jaylen leaving would probably be the biggest red flag for me. Idk if he was a collective guy last year, but put him on payroll.

minutefanjsf
Hall of Fame

Post by minutefanjsf » Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:25 pm

Floyd wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 8:08 am This is what My thought is on Cross. 1, he's bounced around already a few times, does he want to do it again? 2, this team gives him the time and opportunities to play big minutes and succeed. 3, this level seems good for him and I think Frank pushes these kids to get the best out of them. If you're comfortable all the time, you don't progress, you need to feel pressure to improve. And 4, he's getting $ right? So is it all about the $$, or playing on a team to improve at a place you're comfortable?

Hope he comes back and we can get some good front court help because I think there's a nice mix here to again have a nice season and take the next step. If not, the transfer portal will be lengthy with others who can fill the spot
I think the collective is doing well. At the same time they do not have enough money for everyone. Keeping Cross, Curry, Diggins, Keon, Jayden, DHS, instead of breaking the bank to keep Cohen is a trade I would make every day.

Floyd
Hall of Fame

Post by Floyd » Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:50 pm

If I hit mega millions or powerball this week we're good :lol:
Time to Win