Game 26, 2023-24: VCU (2/20)

Anything and everything that is UMass Minutemen Basketball.
MakeMullinsGreatAgain
Junior

Re: Game 26, 2023-24: VCU (2/20)

Post by MakeMullinsGreatAgain » Wed Feb 21, 2024 4:05 pm

InnervisionsUMASS wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 2:58 pm LOL

I wasn't talking about UConn. There was a legitimate puking incident at the Mullins Center last night during the game.
I thought the waitress spilled a tray of drinks - that's pretty nasty if true

Floyd
Hall of Fame

Post by Floyd » Wed Feb 21, 2024 4:10 pm

69MG wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 3:58 pm
Juice Stand wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 12:28 pm
Floyd wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 11:59 am

Why is this senior night? Don't we have Fordham at home on 3/6?
Correct, our last home game is against Fordham. I always thought that senior night was held on the last game, but maybe they moved it to the weekend to give more people and player's families the chance to get to the game. I have no idea if Matt or Josh plan on coming back, so maybe Ryan Marcus is the only one out there for senior night.
The SBU game is an "Alumni Recognition" game. Around 80 former players, including Marcus Camby will be in attendance and saluted during halftime. This came from Frank. He wanted to do it last year but things didn't work out. He thinks it's important for the current players to know more about the history of UMass BB and past successes.
Even better. Get 7k in the place
Time to Win

LS71
Hall of Fame

Post by LS71 » Wed Feb 21, 2024 5:53 pm

69MG wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 3:58 pm The SBU game is an "Alumni Recognition" game. Around 80 former players, including Marcus Camby will be in attendance and saluted during halftime. This came from Frank. He wanted to do it last year but things didn't work out. He thinks it's important for the current players to know more about the history of UMass BB and past successes.
I love that he feels that way. I’m looking forward to see who’s there! 8)
"Win without boasting, lose without crying." -- Julius Erving

WillHerndonFan
Junior

Post by WillHerndonFan » Wed Feb 21, 2024 11:02 pm

Just watched the replay of the game and it truly was a great performance from beginning to end. At the game, the crowd was energized from the beginning and I think the team fed off that even though the Mullins was only half full. The “Crohen” tandem of Cohen and Cross had nearly 40 combined points and nearly 20 rebounds, which has been a winning formula for us all year. When one has an off game, then it puts pressure on our guards to deliver and that has been a problem at time with our poor 3 point shooting. Anyhow, the team that Frank has constructed at UMass is exactly what us diehard UMass fans wanted over the years that works hard on defense and runs an actual offense. In the end, all of us acknowledge that the likelihood that we will be the #1 team again and make the Final Four are not likely, but I am just happy that we are actually competing in the A10 again as we have had too many years of being a middle to bottom team in the A10. Finally, the games we have played against the Dayton, Loyola, Richmond, and VCU have shown the A10 that the A10 Tournament Trophy and an Automatic NCAA bid are in play for us this year! Here are my player/grades and summary:

Cohen: A+: Just a great night in the paint as he was highly efficient and made some great passes during the game. When you watch other big men in the A10, you realize how lucky we are to have a player like Cohen.
Cross: A+: I love the edgy play of Cross as he just goes out there with whatever injury he has at the moment and takes it right to the other team. It doesn’t hurt that he has been on a double double roll as he just wills himself to get the rebound at all costs.
Ndjigue: A-: No person on the team has had more pressure put on him by other teams as they want him to shoot the outside shots and he has been growing more confident in that role lately by hitting the shot when it is needed.
Thompson: B+ Not a great offensive game, but defensively he played hard and it looked like at times he was glued to Shulga.
Diggins B+. Hit some key shots in the game to maintain the lead despite not a high % shooting game. In the end, no guard is more important to this team than Diggins.
Curry. B+: This kid is fun to watch as no one shoots the way he does out there and he dribbles the ball with such flare. Hope this kid sticks around as he will be our leading scorer in the next few years.
Hankins B+. No one is more of a team player than this guy as he probably could average a double double on another team, but he plays with Cohen and Cross so his opportunities are limited at least for now.
Davis: B. Worked hard out there and shot confidently despite putting up 0 points. He has earned the right to be part of the 8 man rotation.
Mason: Inc.: Played one minute but I am starting to get the sense that this kid can shoot the mid-range shot. Too bad he started mid-year as I do believe he could be the 4th big in the rotation.
Frank: A+. Maybe Frank tanked the game against LaSalle to get this outcome against VCU! All kidding aside, Frank had the team prepared, fired up, and ready to not take the foot off the pedal when they got up early.
Overall: A+. Best win at the Mullins this year as there have been some good wins at home. Total team effort out there and Cohen summed it up in the postgame interview that Frank has there back and we have his. Now that is a TEAM!

JoleonLescottsHair
Hall of Fame

Post by JoleonLescottsHair » Wed Feb 21, 2024 11:42 pm

WillHerndonFan wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 11:02 pm no guard is more important to this team than Diggins.
Respectfully, I would say that is Keon. Really like Diggins and Curry, but….

And, glad you’re coming around on Davis. Me too. Frank giving him those modest minutes to prep him for the stretch seems to have paid off.

WillHerndonFan
Junior

Post by WillHerndonFan » Wed Feb 21, 2024 11:49 pm

JoleonLescottsHair wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 11:42 pm
WillHerndonFan wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 11:02 pm no guard is more important to this team than Diggins.
Respectfully, I would say that is Keon. Really like Diggins and Curry, but….

And, glad you’re coming around on Davis. Me too. Frank giving him those modest minutes to prep him for the stretch seems to have paid off.
I guess it depends on what you see is important. Diggins has the ability to take over a game when he is on but I would say Keon is not too far off from Diggins in terms of importance and Curry not too far off from Keon.

Floyd
Hall of Fame

Post by Floyd » Thu Feb 22, 2024 6:42 am

^ really like em all, but to me, Keon is the most well rounded of the 3. Very consistent, defensively superior, and makes few mistakes. He's always in control. The 3 compliment each other very well in their strengths and are a very good trio. All three make this team go, and Davis is coming on with his all around play to add depth
Time to Win

Quann
Hall of Fame

Post by Quann » Thu Feb 22, 2024 1:48 pm

MakeMullinsGreatAgain wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 4:05 pm

I wasn't talking about UConn. There was a legitimate puking incident at the Mullins Center last night during the game.
Now that is true UMass right there :lol:

minutefanjsf
Hall of Fame

Post by minutefanjsf » Thu Feb 22, 2024 8:47 pm

Quann wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 1:48 pm
MakeMullinsGreatAgain wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 4:05 pm

Now that is true UMass right there :lol:
Apparently there were two puking incidents. Were they players or inebriated fans?

Floridafan71
Sophomore

Post by Floridafan71 » Thu Feb 22, 2024 10:12 pm

TO Will H. Enjoy your player grades. Only disagreement is Davis.I Like him as a person and his hustle but he seems to think he is a shooter but isnot productive. Needs a summer of practice.

WillHerndonFan
Junior

Post by WillHerndonFan » Thu Feb 22, 2024 11:44 pm

Floridafan71 wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 10:12 pm TO Will H. Enjoy your player grades. Only disagreement is Davis.I Like him as a person and his hustle but he seems to think he is a shooter but isnot productive. Needs a summer of practice.
I think he has potential but like most freshman has had a hard time adjusting to the pace and size of the D1 game.

InnervisionsUMASS
Hall of Fame

Post by InnervisionsUMASS » Fri Feb 23, 2024 8:54 am

minutefanjsf wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 8:47 pm

Apparently there were two puking incidents. Were they players or inebriated fans?

Unfortunately, neither. Kiddos.
Stop waiting for UMass to do something big and help UMass do something big. - Shades

minutefanjsf
Hall of Fame

Post by minutefanjsf » Fri Feb 23, 2024 4:08 pm

InnervisionsUMASS wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 8:54 am
minutefanjsf wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 8:47 pm

Unfortunately, neither. Kiddos.
I saw the clean up from the opposite corner. Assumed it was a spilled drink.

Floridafan71
Sophomore

Post by Floridafan71 » Fri Feb 23, 2024 10:59 pm

TO WILL H.--Will regarding your response on Davis' play- 'Well everyone including me is rooting for him and we can see his spirit and love of the game,but lets face reality: He cant shoot well in most games -he makes errors---he is lacking in a true position,not a one or two or three-he doesnot move well without the ball-he doesnot drive well to the basket-he doesnot appear to have a feel for the game as knowing where to be- he has only some sklls and has not an overall game-he cannot create his own shot---he is not a good defensive player --Why didnot lots of big programs recruit him? Why does Ndjigue start instead of Davis? Ndjigue has developed more basketball skills. Jayden is more polished,more basketball wise. Robert cannot yet do whats needed. Potential yes because he can shoot in practice. Everyone has a dream Davis will be a great player because they think he can shoot a three.Dreams!!!Tafara Gapare was last year another dream. Potential? Yes. Athletic? Yes.We see one has to know how to play the game. Some guys ,nice as they are donot have a feel for the game.Did Tafara? Does Davis? They need a lot of tutoring.
a;

?

Floyd
Hall of Fame

Post by Floyd » Sat Feb 24, 2024 5:48 am

Oof, a little harsh. He's a freshman, I get the sense he's a hard worker, and he's earning some pt from Frank. I'm guessing this off-season will be a big one for him to work on some things, but he has shown he can shoot it and has a willingness to rebound and hit the floor defensively, and at 6-6 has good size for a wing player. I think he deserves the opportunity to take the off-season to improve his game, his attitude is great. Could be a big jump from yr 1 to yr 2
Time to Win