KAEO: John Calipari

Anything and everything that is UMass Minutemen Basketball.
Sheck
Hall of Fame

Re: KAEO: John Calipari

Post by Sheck » Mon Apr 08, 2024 5:04 pm

inthescoop wrote: ↑Mon Apr 08, 2024 4:03 pm Kentucky fans gonna realize real quick how good they had it with Calipari. The #2 recruiting class in the country for next season, and they're still not happy about it.

The truth is Calipari preaches to the players that he can make them successful NBA players and that is why they commit to him and Kentucky. That is his pride and joy. On the other hand, the fans pride in winning, that is their number one concern.

All in all, Calipari is still doing a hell of a job, but Kentucky fans are a bit spoiled now, and want to chase a national championship which has obviously been Calipari's weak spot.

I never expected him to choose Arkansas out of all places since he turned down much better jobs in the past, but the time is right, and here we are..
I think Cal actually left for a better job. Same conference and deep pocketed boosters. Being a "blue blood program" doesn't matter as much anymore.

https://www.sportskeeda.com/nfl/rumor-r ... %20country.
#maction 🚩#flagship

debache
Freshman

Post by debache » Mon Apr 08, 2024 5:10 pm

inthescoop
Hall of Fame

Post by inthescoop » Mon Apr 08, 2024 5:26 pm

Sheck wrote: ↑Mon Apr 08, 2024 5:04 pm
inthescoop wrote: ↑Mon Apr 08, 2024 4:03 pm Kentucky fans gonna realize real quick how good they had it with Calipari. The #2 recruiting class in the country for next season, and they're still not happy about it.

The truth is Calipari preaches to the players that he can make them successful NBA players and that is why they commit to him and Kentucky. That is his pride and joy. On the other hand, the fans pride in winning, that is their number one concern.

All in all, Calipari is still doing a hell of a job, but Kentucky fans are a bit spoiled now, and want to chase a national championship which has obviously been Calipari's weak spot.

I never expected him to choose Arkansas out of all places since he turned down much better jobs in the past, but the time is right, and here we are..
I think Cal actually left for a better job. Same conference and deep pocketed boosters. Being a "blue blood program" doesn't matter as much anymore.

Arkansas is a better job than Kentucky? Yeah idk man

Mike0473
Junior

Post by Mike0473 » Mon Apr 08, 2024 6:16 pm

inthescoop wrote: ↑Mon Apr 08, 2024 5:26 pm

I don't think it is a better job. But, it has all the resources Cal needs to continue doing what he does. And, I am pretty sure they will be satisfied with the results he ends up with there. They will probably get a crack at a title at some point, or a team capable of it anyway. KY is crazy in my opinion.

Scott O
Senior

Post by Scott O » Mon Apr 08, 2024 6:27 pm

Plano Minuteman wrote: ↑Mon Apr 08, 2024 9:19 am
Juice Stand wrote: ↑Mon Apr 08, 2024 6:22 am Wow! That came totally out of the blue.
It's also about time Coach Cal got into mountain biking if he already hasn't. I heard northwest Arkansas has a world class trail system, thanks to Walton money.
Rumor has it, he and Bruiser used to tear it up on Earls Trails back in the day.
Retarded artistically. Idiotic in other respects.

inthescoop
Hall of Fame

Post by inthescoop » Mon Apr 08, 2024 7:23 pm

Mike0473 wrote: ↑Mon Apr 08, 2024 6:16 pm

I don't think it is a better job. But, it has all the resources Cal needs to continue doing what he does. And, I am pretty sure they will be satisfied with the results he ends up with there. They will probably get a crack at a title at some point, or a team capable of it anyway. KY is crazy in my opinion.
And this entire opinion is because he now has Tyson the chicken nugget man by his side yeah?

vanmeter
Hall of Fame

Post by vanmeter » Mon Apr 08, 2024 7:35 pm

I think it is a good thing for both Kentucky and Cal. The pressure on him, if he stayed at Kentucky, would have been enormous. Every time he lost people and media would be commenting on him being on the hot seat etc. At Arkansas there will be pressure and expectations but far less.
I think Kentucky ends up with Bruce Pearl - just my opinion.

Sheck
Hall of Fame

Post by Sheck » Mon Apr 08, 2024 8:49 pm

inthescoop wrote: ↑Mon Apr 08, 2024 7:23 pm
Mike0473 wrote: ↑Mon Apr 08, 2024 6:16 pm
And this entire opinion is because he now has Tyson the chicken nugget man by his side yeah?
And two deep pocketed NFL owners (Jerry Jones & Walton family).

Program history is overrated. Maybe that was a successful recruiting pitch back in the day but now it's about THE BAG. On top of that Cal's already a great recruiter anyway. So now with the added NIL resources he could potentially keep players for 2-3 years that might be on the fence about going to the NBA.
#maction 🚩#flagship

InnervisionsUMASS
Hall of Fame

Post by InnervisionsUMASS » Tue Apr 09, 2024 1:35 pm

Video from Cal to UK fans officially walking away.

https://x.com/UKCoachCalipari/status/17 ... 3964843518

He does confirm he has been presented opportunities that he and his family are considering.
Stop waiting for UMass to do something big and help UMass do something big. - Shades

Quann
Hall of Fame

Post by Quann » Wed Apr 10, 2024 6:21 am

At this point in his life, Arkansas is a better job for Cal. Lower stress, and he has a chance to revitalize a program that hasn't been relevant nationally since the mid 90s (sound familiar?). Still in the same great conference and doesn't have to deal with the psychotic UK fan base anymore. Another plus, gets to hang out with Arkansas superfan big John Daly.

Personally, I'm also psyched, I haven't been able to hate UK basketball with the same passion with Cal there. That's over with now, I hate them like the old days again.

natwam2547
Hall of Fame

Post by natwam2547 » Wed Apr 10, 2024 8:57 am

They didn't win a title, but they just made back to back elite 8's and a sweet 16 before this year. I'd consider that nationally relevant. They also had high expectations this year and beat Duke at home in the ACC/SEC challenge before bottoming out. I don't think the expectation is to win a title like they did in 94 (and be runner up in 95). What Muss did in his tenure is plenty good enough to meet what Arkansas basketball's expectations should be.

InnervisionsUMASS
Hall of Fame

Post by InnervisionsUMASS » Wed Apr 10, 2024 9:39 am

Breaking news that the Arkansas deal is done. 5 years, starting at $7mil/year.
Stop waiting for UMass to do something big and help UMass do something big. - Shades

TruBluMaroon
Hall of Fame

Post by TruBluMaroon » Wed Apr 10, 2024 10:05 am

Would you rather work for someone who really wants you or someone who might not be all that happy with the job you have been doing?
NewsFlash - JC’s grandchildren (current (?) and future ) are set financially 😁

inthescoop
Hall of Fame

Post by inthescoop » Wed Apr 10, 2024 10:17 am

TruBluMaroon wrote: ↑Wed Apr 10, 2024 10:05 am

Would you rather work for someone who really wants you or someone who might not be all that happy with the job you have been doing?
NewsFlash - JC’s grandchildren (current (?) and future ) are set financially 😁
They have been set financially for a long time now. :lol: :lol:

InnervisionsUMASS
Hall of Fame

Post by InnervisionsUMASS » Wed Apr 10, 2024 10:25 am

I mean, he isn't dropping down to Mississippi Valley State from UK... he's moving to Arkansas. He's still being paid handsomely, and I can only assume this school will have less stress. If he's happy with it, then it probably is a better job for him.