Game 8, 2023-24: vs West Virginia (Springfield, 12/16)

Anything and everything that is UMass Minutemen Basketball.
WillHerndonFan
Junior

Re: Game 8, 2023-24: vs West Virginia (Springfield, 12/16)

Post by WillHerndonFan » Sat Jan 20, 2024 9:49 pm

LS71 wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2024 9:04 pm
Quann wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2024 6:51 pm Mullins is just too big for our program.
The program was getting to be too big for Mullins when Cal was here, a long time ago, for sure.
Put a consistent contender on the floor and the place will rock again.
The cage didn’t even fill up the first year that Cal was there, but by year 2 the place was rockin. The Bill is larger than the cage, but if this team can be competitive I think you might see 6-7k in February as people are waiting to full committ again. Last year, I went to the A10 tournament and watched enormous Fordham fan base, which I never knew existed, turn out their semifinal at Barclay’s. This was by far the best crowd I ever saw at the A10 tournament in Brooklyn and It was awesome to see. That being said, I think our fan base will double next year if we make it to the semifinals in the A10 tournament and hopefully returns everyone next year.

WillHerndonFan
Junior

Post by WillHerndonFan » Sat Jan 20, 2024 9:58 pm

bobolink wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2024 6:14 pm wow win for WVU today, beating #3 Kansas
That is awesome as I thought WVU had a decent team even though they didn’t look that good against us. The rankings in college basketball have always been bullshit as conferences that have a lot of teams ranked are the equivalent of people being famous for being famous. This is where AI should be used so that all factors like conference affiliation, etc. should be removed nd have a more objective process with more factors to determine rankings. The whole Quad 1, 2 is all BS as most of the teams in quad 1 are from the big conferences…what a fuc.ing shock there. Last year, it was embarrassment for the NIT in terms of the # of teams from power conferences with 500 records who were selected…don’t blame Dayton for telling the NIT to go F itself.

Quann
Hall of Fame

Post by Quann » Sun Jan 21, 2024 10:05 am

Guys you're talking about a unicorn period for UMass basketball. I'd rather have a smaller place that rocks that's a basketball only place.

PreecherJenkins
Senior

Post by PreecherJenkins » Sun Jan 21, 2024 11:33 am

WillHerndonFan wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2024 9:49 pm
LS71 wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2024 9:04 pm
Quann wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2024 6:51 pm Mullins is just too big for our program.
The program was getting to be too big for Mullins when Cal was here, a long time ago, for sure.
Put a consistent contender on the floor and the place will rock again.
The cage didn’t even fill up the first year that Cal was there, but by year 2 the place was rockin. The Bill is larger than the cage, but if this team can be competitive I think you might see 6-7k in February as people are waiting to full committ again. Last year, I went to the A10 tournament and watched enormous Fordham fan base, which I never knew existed, turn out their semifinal at Barclay’s. This was by far the best crowd I ever saw at the A10 tournament in Brooklyn and It was awesome to see. That being said, I think our fan base will double next year if we make it to the semifinals in the A10 tournament and hopefully returns everyone next year.
1. Yes Mullins is too big for the current edition of umass basketball. They really need to put tarps up in some of the less desirable seating areas. I get the students are not back yet, but 3600 on a Saturday afternoon tells you what the commuity thinks

2. UMass fans in their history only show up if you are winning and winning big.

3. Think 3600 is really disappointing number, it was the Jack game, kids tickets are $5, why aren't people coming.
"You are what your record says you are" Coach Bill P.

JUST SAY NO TO THE MAC

DirSport
Junior

Post by DirSport » Sun Jan 21, 2024 12:30 pm

I can remember Calipari addressing the notion that Mullins as constructed wasn't big enough, that it should have been built for 14-15K. His answer was, "You don't want it too big. That way, it won't look as empty when the bad times come."

MakeMullinsGreatAgain
Junior

Post by MakeMullinsGreatAgain » Sun Jan 21, 2024 12:34 pm

I agree Mullins is too big but there was more than 3600 people there - the main parking area was full - that never happens - people were parking in the back lots - I'm not saying there was 6000 people there but there was closer to 5K then 3600

If they can keep this group together next year they will be knocking on the door of the Top 25 - when that happens the place will be rocking. That 2014 team that was top 25 - I went to many games that had 7000 plus and the VCU game was sold out - so they will come if your good. I included a link that shows it was a sell out for those doubters out there

https://umassathletics.com/news/2014/2/ ... e_VCU_Game

Sheck
Hall of Fame

Post by Sheck » Sun Jan 21, 2024 12:39 pm

Need to re-sell the program to the other parts of the state. I can't imagine many people outside the region are venturing out to Mullins. Hopefully they can schedule a game next year at the Garden or maybe Worcester.
#maction 🚩#flagship

debache
Freshman

Post by debache » Sun Jan 21, 2024 1:02 pm

Before Calipari had a superior product, he was out there selling UMass. He was everywhere, on campus, on local TV and radio stations.
UMass is on Twitter and Facebook, but they are preaching to the choir, anyone who is following are already invested in the team.
They need to get to the public by TV, advertise let them know there is a game and Saturdays kids get in for $5. That is a great deal and something to do on a winter weekend.

They won't come if they don't know there is a game.

minutefanjsf
Hall of Fame

Post by minutefanjsf » Sun Jan 21, 2024 1:42 pm

debache wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 1:02 pm Before Calipari had a superior product, he was out there selling UMass. He was everywhere, on campus, on local TV and radio stations.
UMass is on Twitter and Facebook, but they are preaching to the choir, anyone who is following are already invested in the team.
They need to get to the public by TV, advertise let them know there is a game and Saturdays kids get in for $5. That is a great deal and something to do on a winter weekend.

They won't come if they don't know there is a game.
Frank is on the local rock radio 99.3 in morning twice a week. They interview him for a quick spot and then give away tix based on trivia connected to the interview. They need to get people who are campus bought in first, IMO. Not just students, there a ton of people who work for UMass and have families, etc. that need to be targeted.

vanmeter
Hall of Fame

Post by vanmeter » Sun Jan 21, 2024 1:55 pm

A smaller facility, like the Loyola one, can be a big advantage. The place is a basketball only facility ie no hockey. It holds about 5000. I checked and the announced attendance for our game was 2782 yet with all the noise factured in it was very loud and created a tremendous home court advantage - no doubt the atmosphere contributed to them winning the game.
You
Probably need at least 6000 fans at the Mullins to create that type of atmosphere. I understand that it was built during the Calipari hey day years and also with college hockey in mind, but the building is cavernous. There is nothing that can be done now -only winning will put more people in the seats.

minutefanjsf
Hall of Fame

Post by minutefanjsf » Sun Jan 21, 2024 8:54 pm

vanmeter wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 1:55 pm A smaller facility, like the Loyola one, can be a big advantage. The place is a basketball only facility ie no hockey. It holds about 5000. I checked and the announced attendance for our game was 2782 yet with all the noise factured in it was very loud and created a tremendous home court advantage - no doubt the atmosphere contributed to them winning the game.
You
Probably need at least 6000 fans at the Mullins to create that type of atmosphere. I understand that it was built during the Calipari hey day years and also with college hockey in mind, but the building is cavernous. There is nothing that can be done now -only winning will put more people in the seats.
It was planned before Calipari came and the hoops team got good. It coincided with the rise. Construction started before any Cal team made it to the tourney. For a school as big as UMass, the facility is not too big, IMO. I was a student when it opened. I do agree the multipurpose aspect of it when not at capacity makes hoops games less desirable. I think making suites in the upper levels and reducing capacity by 1000 would be okay.

LS71
Hall of Fame

Post by LS71 » Sun Jan 21, 2024 9:23 pm

If UMass can get to where it’s putting a legit contender on the floor consistently, we’re not having this discussion.

That said, I would love to see the place renovated...suites, improved food prep capabilities and seat 10K. That way it would qualify to host NCAA tournament games.
"Win without boasting, lose without crying." -- Julius Erving

MakeMullinsGreatAgain
Junior

Post by MakeMullinsGreatAgain » Mon Jan 22, 2024 8:17 am

I also think its important to remember the Mullins Center was not built just for UMass Mens Basketball. It was originally built with the intention of hosting concerts, comedy shows and family shows like Cirque De Soleil, Disney on Ice, Sesame Street Live, etc...Mullins alslo hosted Celtics and Bruins exhibition games. The concerts they hosted when they first opened were world class acts - Metallica, Elton John, Aerosmith, Green Day, Phish, Dave Matthews, Alanis Morisette, Bob Dylan, Foo Fighters, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Jay-Z, Kanye West, Carrie Underwood, Jason Aldean, Tim Mcgraw, and MANY more - but they have not had a concert there since 2012 - why?

Quann
Hall of Fame

Post by Quann » Mon Jan 22, 2024 8:34 am

^^^^
I know the Cage is old but I think the university missed an opportunity turning that into a state of the art basketball only palace. Not sure it was feasible given the condition but they are renovating it to become a track center. With all the history there, it would have been amazing to have it as a basketball only spot.

InnervisionsUMASS
Hall of Fame

Post by InnervisionsUMASS » Mon Jan 22, 2024 8:36 am

Quann wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 8:34 am ^^^^
I know the Cage is old but I think the university missed an opportunity turning that into a state of the art basketball only palace. Not sure it was feasible given the condition but they are renovating it to become a track center. With all the history there, it would have been amazing to have it as a basketball only spot.

It took a major donation to get it to become this Track center... I suspect if there was a major basketball donor that wanted to do what you suggest (an idea I very much like/d), it could have occurred.
Stop waiting for UMass to do something big and help UMass do something big. - Shades