2023-24 Season

Anything and everything that is UMass Minutemen Basketball.
InnervisionsUMASS
Hall of Fame

2023-24 Season

Post by InnervisionsUMASS » Tue Mar 07, 2023 2:23 pm

Well, not sure what to say..... but we're onto next year. Discuss.
Stop waiting for UMass to do something big and help UMass do something big. - Shades

Juice Stand
Hall of Fame

Re: 2023-24 Season

Post by Juice Stand » Tue Mar 07, 2023 2:36 pm

Do Better.

TruBluMaroon
Hall of Fame

Post by TruBluMaroon » Tue Mar 07, 2023 2:37 pm

Is UK still looking to move past Calipari?

stevemaz
Senior

Post by stevemaz » Tue Mar 07, 2023 2:59 pm

If uk did that, I say we offer Cal 10 Mil per year or 5 mil and keeps all ticket sales receipts..

stevemaz
Senior

Post by stevemaz » Tue Mar 07, 2023 3:00 pm

Depending on who else leaves (and I expect it to be more guys than we would think, we need to add scorers,most notably a two guard, a pt guard, and a big.

Calmass9
Junior

Post by Calmass9 » Tue Mar 07, 2023 3:26 pm

I think we see a ton of changes to the roster next year. Frank called out the team's lack of work ethic in the postgame presser today...

"Wildens and RJ Luis spent more time in the gym getting up shots this year than the rest of the team combined"

69MG
Hall of Fame

Post by 69MG » Tue Mar 07, 2023 3:37 pm

I thought Frank was a great hire and have been a strong supporter of his all season. I was having doubts toward the end of the year but I felt a lot better after the SBU game. Now, after today's no show I'm not so sure. When you see the players (just about all of them) just keep walking when Frank yells at them when they come off the court it's not a good sign.

I won't predict names, but I think we'll see more guys leave than we expected. It seems that Frank's demeanor wore on them as the season went along and they got tired of it. I'm not calling for Frank to be fired, but I hope he takes heed of what has happened and lightens up a bit. After all, he's said it many times, today's players aren't like the players from 10 or 20 years ago.

I checked the transfer portal a while ago, and it has exploded. There will be plenty of guys available at all positions. The question is whether or not they will want to play for Frank. I freakin' hate writing this post but the end of this season has been utterly discouraging.

Quann
Hall of Fame

Post by Quann » Tue Mar 07, 2023 4:00 pm

A lot sooner than I was hoping for this thread. Let's see what the transfer portal holds for our future.

DoctorJ
Hall of Fame

Post by DoctorJ » Tue Mar 07, 2023 4:13 pm

Only positive about losing today is we will start knowing who is leaving sooner.

Terrible consolation to a painful season.
Refuse To Lose!!!

MakeMullinsGreatAgain
Junior

Post by MakeMullinsGreatAgain » Tue Mar 07, 2023 4:30 pm

69MG wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 3:37 pm I thought Frank was a great hire and have been a strong supporter of his all season. I was having doubts toward the end of the year but I felt a lot better after the SBU game. Now, after today's no show I'm not so sure. When you see the players (just about all of them) just keep walking when Frank yells at them when they come off the court it's not a good sign.

I won't predict names, but I think we'll see more guys leave than we expected. It seems that Frank's demeanor wore on them as the season went along and they got tired of it. I'm not calling for Frank to be fired, but I hope he takes heed of what has happened and lightens up a bit. After all, he's said it many times, today's players aren't like the players from 10 or 20 years ago.

I checked the transfer portal a while ago, and it has exploded. There will be plenty of guys available at all positions. The question is whether or not they will want to play for Frank. I freakin' hate writing this post but the end of this season has been utterly discouraging.
when they walk by him that means absolutely nothing - he does not expect them to stop and chit chat - every single one of them do it and he never gets more upset because they walk past him - I would not doubt if he told them prior to the season starting that if I'm screaming at you, just keep on walking - so don't read a bit into that.

what you CAN read into though is how these guys quit on him today - that is very alarming IMO. I will admit - halfway though the 2nd half I turned it off - I felt like if the players are giving up I am too - so with that said I cannot speak for anyone's efforts from about the 12 minute mark to the end of the game - but in my day - if I'm an underclassman and I have a chance to impress my coach for next year, I'm busting my ass - I saw none of that while I was watching and that's what I'm most concerned about.

should be very interesting the next few weeks

ZooMass84
Senior

Post by ZooMass84 » Tue Mar 07, 2023 4:35 pm

Richmond scored more in the second half than us all game....... :(

Don't feel so bad: womens hoops not going to their Big Dance, hockey sucks this year, and football got their obligatory 1 win last year so overall not so great.

69MG
Hall of Fame

Post by 69MG » Tue Mar 07, 2023 4:39 pm

MakeMullinsGreatAgain wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 4:30 pm

when they walk by him that means absolutely nothing - he does not expect them to stop and chit chat - every single one of them do it and he never gets more upset because they walk past him - I would not doubt if he told them prior to the season starting that if I'm screaming at you, just keep on walking - so don't read a bit into that.

Most coaches try to let a player know what they did wrong and how to correct it when they come off the court. If Frank is just yelling that isn't good.
If he is trying to teach and they just keep walking, that also isn't good. Either way it's not a good thing and doesn't bode well for retention.

stevemaz
Senior

Post by stevemaz » Tue Mar 07, 2023 4:42 pm

69MG wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 3:37 pm I thought Frank was a great hire and have been a strong supporter of his all season. I was having doubts toward the end of the year but I felt a lot better after the SBU game. Now, after today's no show I'm not so sure. When you see the players (just about all of them) just keep walking when Frank yells at them when they come off the court it's not a good sign.

what you CAN read into though is how these guys quit on him today - that is very alarming IMO. I will admit - halfway though the 2nd half I turned it off - I felt like if the players are giving up I am too - so with that said I cannot speak for anyone's efforts from about the 12 minute mark to the end of the game - but in my day - if I'm an underclassman and I have a chance to impress my coach for next year, I'm busting my ass - I saw none of that while I was watching and that's what I'm most concerned about.

I didnt see FM yell at Cross, Kante, or Weeks all that much if at all so that goes to show you if you do what he asks you wont get yelled at..

MakeMullinsGreatAgain
Junior

Post by MakeMullinsGreatAgain » Tue Mar 07, 2023 4:45 pm

69MG wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 4:39 pm

Most coaches try to let a player know what they did wrong and how to correct it when they come off the court. If Frank is just yelling that isn't good.
If he is trying to teach and they just keep walking, that also isn't good. Either way it's not a good thing and doesn't bode well for retention.
not Frank - not during the game. I feel like Frank feels he goes over it enough during the week - if you don't know what your doing in the game, it won't get corrected - too late

I sit behind the bench so I can clearly hear what he is saying - the majority of the time it's - "sit your ass down" or "get your ass off the floor" as he's motioning for them to sit on the bench

MakeMullinsGreatAgain
Junior

Post by MakeMullinsGreatAgain » Tue Mar 07, 2023 4:47 pm

stevemaz wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 4:42 pm

I didnt see FM yell at Cross, Kante, or Weeks all that much if at all so that goes to show you if you do what he asks you wont get yelled at..
Kante?? he screamed at Kante all year long. I will agree with Cross though - not much yelling at him.