2023-24 Season

Anything and everything that is UMass Minutemen Basketball.
MikeUMA
Site Admin

Re: 2023-24 Season

Post by MikeUMA » Fri Jul 07, 2023 3:42 pm

Article: The Many Shades of UMass' New Look Frontcourt
https://stretchingthefloor.blogspot.com ... -look.html

Juice Stand
Hall of Fame

Post by Juice Stand » Mon Jul 17, 2023 2:39 pm

Tristan Freeman of Busting Brackets has us with the 23rd best freshmen class this season, sandwiched between Arkansas and Pitt: https://bustingbrackets.com/2023/07/17/ ... -season/4/

Ricky Harris' new program, Maryland, comes in at 11, UConn at 7, and he has Calipari and Kentucky at 1.

69MG
Hall of Fame

Post by 69MG » Tue Jul 25, 2023 10:24 pm

Here's my take on today's practice. The caveat here is that you can only glean a limited amount from a practice. They did scrimmage a bit and that was helpful. These are just my opinions, and I am far from an expert or a scout. Overall, I don't think we'll have trouble scoring, but interior D might be an issue.

1. Majok is project with a capital P. He's coordinated and athletic but has a lot to learn. He would have fouled out in the first half of a game.
2. Robert Davis comes as advertised. He can stroke it and he's athletic.
3. I like Curry a lot. You can see he has mad skills. Maybe needs to tone down the behind the back and similar stuff, but that's who he is.
4. Hankins-Sanford look really good. Strong, tough, aggressive and he also showed some nice moves on offense. He might start at the 4.
5. Keon and Diggins looked more comfortable, and they may be battling each other for playing time.
6. Seeing a healthy Matt Cross was great. He is without question the team leader.
7. Gianni was not there and was not on the handout. Have to assume he's gone. Only 3 returnees from last year.
8. Rollie is more than a walk-on. He played with the regulars. He can play and maybe it was his night, but he shot lights out in the scrimmages.
9. Mayhugh put on a 3-point clinic in the shooting drills before the main practice started. Different story with a hand in his face.
10. Cohen has great footwork, spin moves, fakes, etc. In the scrimmages he either made the basket or got fouled (mostly by Majok). Not athletic at all, but somehow gets the job done. A little concerned about D.
11. Ndjigue and Worthy are both good players. Ndjigue maybe a little better on D and Worthy looks like a better scorer.
12. Foster was a pleasant surprise. Very athletic and maybe a little better skill set than Gianni. About the same size.
13. Was impressed by coach Nelson, who might be the "special teams" coach. He worked with the players on defending the inbounds play under the other team's basket. You could clearly hear him describing what he wanted and explaining the logic of it. It's complicated.
14. Last, but not least, Frank was somewhat subdued. I think having this audience was the reason. Or maybe he's changing???

If anyone else went I would love to hear what you thought. I'm sure I missed things and probably got a few things wrong.

Juice Stand
Hall of Fame

Post by Juice Stand » Wed Jul 26, 2023 5:47 am

Good notes, 69. It was the first practice I attended and I have to say that I really enjoyed it. Not responding to all your points, but I think you're right on with most observations.

1. If our big guys other than Majok stay healthy and relatively productive, I can't see him getting much playing time. They are teaching him the basics. It's going to take a while for him to get up to speed.
3. Curry looks legit. He's extremely quick, looked very comfortable out there, and he throws bullet passes. You better have your head on a swivel and hands up because if you don't, you might be picking your teeth up off the floor.
4. Hankins-Sanford is a welcome addition. He's big, has a very strong build, and is athletic. Aside from that, a super friendly guy, I enjoyed talking with him.
6. Matt Cross. What else is there to say? The man. Probably the only guy not to get called out at least once by the coaching staff. He's a great player and knows what to do and where to be.
7. No doubt, Gianni's gone
9. Mayhugh has the body, but he's definitely a freshman. Didn't know where to be, he got the brunt of Frank's criticisms. He'll get there, but it'll take some time.
10. I was surprised by Cohen's lack of athleticism and started wondering if he's going to be able to play in the A10 night after night. But you're right about his moves, and he hustles which can make up for a lot. His touch around the basket is very smooth. Somehow the ball just kept going in (When Majok wasn't dragging him down to the ground).
12. I didn't see much from Foster. Athletic, yes, but he was slow to pick up on coaching instructions for the drills and looked a little lost.
13. Nelson was fun to listen to. He sounds like a basketball coach, totally in control and a good teacher.

That was a fun evening. If you haven't been to a practice before, I highly recommend it.

NilesGold
Hall of Fame

Post by NilesGold » Wed Jul 26, 2023 8:06 am

Juice Stand wrote: Wed Jul 26, 2023 5:47 am
10. I was surprised by Cohen's lack of athleticism and started wondering if he's going to be able to play in the A10 night after night. But you're right about his moves, and he hustles which can make up for a lot. His touch around the basket is very smooth. Somehow the ball just kept going in (When Majok wasn't dragging him down to the ground).
NilesGold wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 7:43 am I think we have a shot with Cohen, he doesn't blow you away with the eye test, his elevation/athleticism is poor, he's not physically imposing, he won't block a lot of shots, that might scare off high majors. His biggest value is scoring with the ball in his hands, and he does it while almost never turning the ball over. Compared to all players in the A10, his usage rate is the 2nd highest, and his turnover rate is the 2nd lowest among qualifying players... that combination of usage and turnover rate is truly astounding.

69MG
Hall of Fame

Post by 69MG » Wed Jul 26, 2023 10:09 am

^ I agree. Some guys have a knack for getting the ball to go in and he has it. A smart player who fights to get position and seems to know the angles when he has to use the backboard. The ball just goes in when he doesn't get fouled. He is a 65% free throw shooter. He'll get fouled a lot so I'd like to see him around 70 if that's possible. He took 8 free throws a game last year.

UMassfan_19
Senior

Post by UMassfan_19 » Wed Jul 26, 2023 10:56 am

Not sure if Gianni scholarship is burnt if so that stinks if not would like to see us get another big. Feels like another season we are entering a little shallow in the front court

InnervisionsUMASS
Hall of Fame

Post by InnervisionsUMASS » Wed Jul 26, 2023 11:52 am

^

If he is, in fact, redshirting, then yes his scholarship is being used by him.
Stop waiting for UMass to do something big and help UMass do something big. - Shades

69MG
Hall of Fame

Post by 69MG » Wed Jul 26, 2023 12:44 pm

UMassfan_19 wrote: Wed Jul 26, 2023 10:56 am Not sure if Gianni scholarship is burnt if so that stinks if not would like to see us get another big. Feels like another season we are entering a little shallow in the front court
Agree with this. All 3 of our "bigs" are on the lean side. Majok is pencil thin and the other 2 are not skinny but they are around 6'10, 220. They might get pushed around a bit.

NilesGold
Hall of Fame

Post by NilesGold » Wed Jul 26, 2023 1:32 pm

^ DHS isn't a "big"?

Roadtrip
Hall of Fame

Post by Roadtrip » Wed Jul 26, 2023 2:02 pm

You know the drill Niles, he is a small big.

Jackson96
Hall of Fame

Post by Jackson96 » Wed Jul 26, 2023 3:09 pm

Nice to have a little chatter about the season. Some thoughts I’ve been having:

I think Cohen is going to be just fine offensively. Seems crafty, good footwork, knows angles, a little awkward and can get his shot off. I think having a hub like Cohen on offense will make a difference. Defensively is where I have my concerns. That is where we will miss Wildens.

Hoping DHS provides what I was hoping Gianni was going to give us when they signed him last year. Some size with athleticism who can face up and score a bit and get after it defensively and on the glass.

I was fairly critical of Diggins and Keon’s play last year and they certainly weren’t great, but they also certainly can improve. Diggins looks bigger and that should really help him when gets into the paint. Thompson I’m still not sure what he is but he does compete - hopefully his jump shot comes around.

Of the freshman I think Curry has the most upside but needs to get stronger and hopefully his jump shot is better than I expect. I do think he is our point guard in the future and probably very near future.

I think the two freshman most ready to contribute early will be Davis and Worthy and I think they could have really nice careers here (assuming the portal doesn’t come calling.)

I’ve always thought Majok is a project who is going to take time — probably considerable time — but one worth taking.

Mayhugh is going to need to play earlier and a bit more than expected since Wildens bolted. It does sound like he is a worker. Foster seems like a good late pickup but will need to get stronger (like most freshmen.)

I’m not expecting a banner season but I do think we will see some progress. Clearly the mix that was put together last year didn’t really work for a variety of reasons. I certainly have my concerns still, but am patient enough to see how this year goes.
"I wrote a column and it went national"

eldonabe
Hall of Fame

Post by eldonabe » Thu Jul 27, 2023 6:28 am

NilesGold wrote: Wed Jul 26, 2023 8:06 am
Juice Stand wrote: Wed Jul 26, 2023 5:47 am
NilesGold wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 7:43 am I think we have a shot with Cohen, he doesn't blow you away with the eye test, his elevation/athleticism is poor, he's not physically imposing, he won't block a lot of shots, that might scare off high majors. His biggest value is scoring with the ball in his hands, and he does it while almost never turning the ball over. Compared to all players in the A10, his usage rate is the 2nd highest, and his turnover rate is the 2nd lowest among qualifying players... that combination of usage and turnover rate is truly astounding.
What an endorsement of Cohen...

He is smaller, but he is slower... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Upstate10
Senior

Post by Upstate10 » Thu Jul 27, 2023 10:41 pm

Cohen’s numbers against high major competition are more than legit. He’ll cook in the A10.

We know that Cross and Cohen can score. I think Diggins is going to take a major step up there, too.

I’m very confident that Curry and Davis are going to be effective on offense. I think Worthy might be there off the bat but I don’t have any real confidence.

So I think we will be an above average offensive team. Can we get stops, though? We know that Keon can guard. Ndjigue can guard but judging by the lack of comments on him here he’s not going to be ready.

I think DHS will be a beast but can he make up for what Cohen lacks on defense? Is Cross going to stay healthy having to battle with nuggets dudes for 30+ minutes every game? Can Majok even catch the ball well enough on offense for him to get minutes protecting the rim?

I think the path is there to a competent defense but I also won’t be surprised if we are a year and a couple puzzle pieces away from being a complete team. I love our knows and the unknowns are super intriguing so I am beyond excited for this season.

Ceiling is double bye but everything would need to go perfectly. 5-8 would be a successful season without a doubt. 9-10 depends on how we get there. Pillow fight and Frank needs a huge leap in year three or him and Bamford need to be putting their houses on the market.

69MG
Hall of Fame

Post by 69MG » Fri Jul 28, 2023 6:30 am

^ Rothstein does not share your optimism. Sadly, I always thought he liked us. The thought of us finishing 11th is depressing.

https://collegehoops.today/rothstein-fi ... eakdown-4/