KAEO Matt Cross

Anything and everything that is UMass Minutemen Basketball.
MakeMullinsGreatAgain
Junior

Re: KAEO Matt Cross

Post by MakeMullinsGreatAgain » Thu Apr 25, 2024 3:32 pm

umasscollective wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 12:20 pm
Juice Stand wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 9:47 am
MakeMullinsGreatAgain wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 8:09 am I also wonder if the timing of announcing the TBT will not be competing in this years tournament has anything to do with Cross? Did this now free up another 25-50K they could offer him? If it did I'm all for it - as nice as it was to see some old UMass players play last summer - I'd much rather see Matt back so I'm all for it!
Where did you see that? Like you, I enjoyed the process leading up to the TBT and seeing those guys get back together, but if I'm donating to the collective, I probably want my dollars spent on helping build a roster with Frank Martin and not on an alumni team. If they're not entering a TBT team this year and freed up some money to entice Matt or some other high quality players, I'm pleased with that.
Mass Co funds were not used for TBT.
So on social media you have said on a few occasions you think there's a chance Matt comes back, that you guys have a solid offer on the table for him - is that you last and final offer? You might not be able to answer this but did you tell Matt to give you guys final look? I obviously don't know Matt but he doesn't strike me as the type of kid where if we offered him 100K and Iowa offer him 101K he's going there cuz they offered him more. I have to believe it has to be significantly more - like 50K or more for him to leave?

In your opinion do we have a better than 50% of keeping him?

doubledribble
Freshman

Post by doubledribble » Sat Apr 27, 2024 8:55 am

Per CBS Sports.com

Who and what every major college basketball team is targeting in the transfer portal

Iowa
Priority: Find the Ben Krikke replacement
Iowa is still searching for that talented 4-man to slide next to emerging soon-to-be-sophomore center Owen Freeman. Nana Owusu-Anane was the top target, but he is expected to exit the transfer portal and return to Brown. Iowa has shifted gears to UMass transfer Matt Cross.[/u][/b] That'd be a slam-dunk addition at Iowa's biggest position of need.

doubledribble
Freshman

Post by doubledribble » Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:21 am

doubledribble wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2024 8:55 am Per CBS Sports.com

Who and what every major college basketball team is targeting in the transfer portal

Iowa
Priority: Find the Ben Krikke replacement
Iowa is still searching for that talented 4-man to slide next to emerging soon-to-be-sophomore center Owen Freeman. Nana Owusu-Anane was the top target, but he is expected to exit the transfer portal and return to Brown. Iowa has shifted gears to UMass transfer Matt Cross. That'd be a slam-dunk addition at Iowa's biggest position of need.

JoleonLescottsHair
Hall of Fame

Post by JoleonLescottsHair » Sat Apr 27, 2024 7:16 pm

^ I know Wisconsin has been mentioned and I think he’s visiting, but no shortage of people in Madison seem to think they lack adequate NIL coin in general for the program. One of their starters went to Kansas and another to Louisville, but evidently neither commanded off the chart coin. College hoop is dead.

Upstate10
Senior

Post by Upstate10 » Sun Apr 28, 2024 4:58 pm

John Tonje flips from New Mexico to Wisconsin... out of the Cross running? Similar positions.

Plano Minuteman
Junior

Post by Plano Minuteman » Sun Apr 28, 2024 10:05 pm

Upstate10 wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2024 4:58 pm John Tonje flips from New Mexico to Wisconsin... out of the Cross running? Similar positions.
Tonje's more of a big 2 guard, maybe a 3 at most. Saw him for many years up in Fort Collins. Cross is much more versatile and is a much better frontcourt player.

Definitely a twitter-storm going on about Tonje jumping ship so quickly after committing to UNM. Hard to believe there's that much of a market for a kid who was injured basically all of last year and just has a one grad year left. The NIL world is crazy.

JoleonLescottsHair
Hall of Fame

Post by JoleonLescottsHair » Mon Apr 29, 2024 5:08 pm

It’s all about the 1000% commitment!
https://www.jsonline.com/story/sports/c ... 499865007/

inthescoop
Hall of Fame

Post by inthescoop » Tue Apr 30, 2024 2:15 pm

I'm starting to believe it's either Iowa or back to UMass

Floyd
Hall of Fame

Post by Floyd » Tue Apr 30, 2024 2:25 pm

I think he's gone. If he really wanted to stay at UMass, I think he would have decided by now. Staying seems like the security blanket if he can't get a bigger NIL deal. Can't blame him I guess in this climate
Time to Win

TruBluMaroon
Hall of Fame

Post by TruBluMaroon » Tue Apr 30, 2024 5:33 pm

Give him a deadline and then move on….Merrimack is always an option for him 😁

Floyd
Hall of Fame

Post by Floyd » Tue Apr 30, 2024 6:30 pm

Deadline is actually a good idea. Gotta move on with setting the roster. Can't be held hostage to waiting
Time to Win

minutefanjsf
Hall of Fame

Post by minutefanjsf » Wed May 01, 2024 6:03 am

Floyd wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 6:30 pm Deadline is actually a good idea. Gotta move on with setting the roster. Can't be held hostage to waiting
There are built in deadlines with admission, acceptance, and NCAA rules. No need for the collective to arbitrarily set new deadlines.

TruBluMaroon
Hall of Fame

Post by TruBluMaroon » Wed May 01, 2024 6:24 am

minutefanjsf wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 6:03 am
Floyd wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 6:30 pm Deadline is actually a good idea. Gotta move on with setting the roster. Can't be held hostage to waiting
There are built in deadlines with admission, acceptance, and NCAA rules. No need for the collective to arbitrarily set new deadlines.
For student-athletes who enter the portal; just consider them gone, reallocate the funds earmarked for them and if they don’t get a better deal, tough! They can always come back with a scholarship.

69MG
Hall of Fame

Post by 69MG » Wed May 01, 2024 9:17 am

minutefanjsf wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 6:03 am
Roster decisions are made by the coaching staff, not The Collective. If a deadline were to be set, it would be by Frank so he can figure out the spots he needs to fill.

InnervisionsUMASS
Hall of Fame

Post by InnervisionsUMASS » Wed May 01, 2024 9:42 am

^

Right, that's the "deadline"... make up your mind before your previous program finds someone else to fill out the roster. They are almost all going to test the waters moving forward, but if you snooze, you lose.
Stop waiting for UMass to do something big and help UMass do something big. - Shades