This team is getting better

Anything and everything that is UMass Minutemen Basketball.
John Tate
Sophomore

Post by John Tate » Tue Feb 10, 2004 9:23 am

VoxPop wrote:wrong as usual mister deejay

Nobody is making up excuses for anything. That's just you making up reasons to spew your crap.

In reality UMass is young and improving, in fact they played strongly against a top tier big senior laden team and you are understandably pissed off. As UMass continues to improve and play well we expect you to continue your pitiful hate filled message board campaign of distortion and bias.

Lappas has dramatically improved the program in terms of recruiting and those improvements are starting to pay off as we are about to go on a nice 3 yr run with this group and hopefully continue to re-invigorate the program. We have lots of young guys stepping up and playing great, UMass fans are going to enjoy watching these guys really become standout performers in the A10 for the 3 yrs and I'm really looking forward to the guys coming into the program as they will all have more time to acclimate themselves to this level then the current groulp has had.

Big game with X coming up! Huge test for UMass !! Got to step it up and come out with a W. LETS GO UMASS !!!!
You're on crack...There's no other explanation for this post.

Go UMass!

Rudy
Junior

Post by Rudy » Tue Feb 10, 2004 9:30 am

Wiggum wrote:Lappas made excuses about youth AGAIN last night on his show. me.
At this rate, Lappas may even surpass Bruiser in the excuse making department in about five years. At least Lappas is not singling out players and airing dirty laundry through the media.

Kosty
Hall of Fame

Post by Kosty » Tue Feb 10, 2004 9:32 am

Wiggum wrote:Players he thought would be helping the program now are either riding the pine at UMass (Martin), San Jose St. (Wilson), Colorado (Lasme) or the Southeastern Texas Home for Wayward Punk Ass Bitches (Briggs). UMass is young, inexperienced and ineffective because of Steve Lappas' errors in judgement and his failures as a coach.

So Lasme and Wilson were FORCED out huh? Doesn't matter that one kid missed being so far from home and decided to transfer to a school closer to his family(Wilson) and the other kid thought he was an NBA point guard and told the coach that he needed to play the point in order to go pro or else he was going to leave(Lasme). Any coach in his right mind does not bow to a player's demands like that. But I'm sure Lappas never said anything to him like "Well we'll give you a chance to compete at the point but I'm not guaranteeing you the job" or anything. The kid probably was given the choice and decided that he was too good to have to compete for the starting point job. But that's the coach's fault right?

jj
The Dude

Post by jj » Tue Feb 10, 2004 9:51 am

I don't know, man. This whole thing just bothers me. I don't think Lappas is the greatest coach, or even a good one. I'd rather see him out of here. But what I really want, above all, is to watch my favorite basketball team play hard, succeed, and put together some wins. I was at the game on Sunday, and while I was bummed that they lost, I also could see tangible improvement. I don't care who that gets credited to, but it was apparent, and it made me happy.

I just hate having to watch a game that was pretty well-played, and then have to read all of this shit. It's depressing.

Used to be VOR
Hall of Fame

Post by Used to be VOR » Tue Feb 10, 2004 10:36 am

JJ,

GREAT post!!

Wiggum
Junior

Post by Wiggum » Tue Feb 10, 2004 10:41 am

Then don't read it, JJ. Or don't put any stock in it. Enjoy things as you see fit and don't let other people ruin it for you. If you see improvement, then celebrate it. I personally think that finding comfort in a loss this far into the savior's tenure is depressing. And I am entitled to say so.

And Kosty, while nowhere in my posts do I say that either of those two were forced out... but no it doesn't matter. At all. The decision was not made to "rebuild with youth" as erroneously alleged. It was forced upon the coach because of the factors outlined. If Wilson could play, he'd still be here with his wife and baby and enjoying himself. It's easier to be homesick when you aren't good enough to play at this level. If Lappas realized that Anderson might be better suited to play off the ball, Lasme would still be here.

As an aside, Lappas did take a transfer in Marcus Cox and thought he could count on him enough to give him the starting job from the get go. If any of Lappas' recruits outside Freeman were as good as Shannon Crooks or Will Herndon, this program would be in better shape so this absurd implication that accepting transfers was widespread and bad for the program really should be discontinued as well.

jj
The Dude

Post by jj » Tue Feb 10, 2004 10:50 am

The problem here is that I feel every need to combat what you're saying as you do to combat the minority of people here that are talking Lappas up. You and Voxpop have seemingly embarked on polar opposite militant crusades one way or the other, and it strands the MAJORITY of posters on this board who are in the middle and just want to enjoy games. And now it's in every damn thread- it's impossible to not come across a shit-slinging fest when browsing the board.

It makes this fucking board unreadable to everyone but you and Voxpop, which is wrong on SO many levels. Sure, everyone has the right to not read it, but what the hell? Why drive people away from the board?

If I'm wrong in this assessment, will some other posters come in here and let me know that they actually enjoy the hardcore agenda on either side beat to death here on the forums?

zultr
Sophomore

Post by zultr » Tue Feb 10, 2004 10:56 am

jj, it's the same guerilla tactics they employed at MassLive. Now that some people here have committed the sin of not being in total agreement, it's time to destroy this place too. And when it happens, they can think they've accomplished something.

FRDreams
Sophomore

Post by FRDreams » Tue Feb 10, 2004 11:06 am

I agree with JJ about wanting Umass to win regardless of who is the coach. I believe almost everyone on this board does as well. Do I think Lap is the right guy? Not at all. However, I like the players on the team and I love the school so that is why I hope for the best and continue to cheer for them. I think they are trying hard and improving. I do think another coach would bring out even more from these kids though.

It is clear that we are stuck with him for atleast the remainder of the year so there is no reason to continually debate about lap vs. bru. All it does is divide this board into two halves. The Lap lovers and bru fans. I find myself in the middle because I was at umass for bru's entire tenure. I saw the decline in W and L's and in regards to fan interest from yr to yr. We needed a change. Was lap the right choice? Obviously not after the results we have seen in his first 3 yrs. All I can do is continue to wear my maroon glasses and hope things will get better. Go Zoomass!

twisters tavern
Junior

Post by twisters tavern » Tue Feb 10, 2004 11:08 am

That's really not fair. I must claim ignorance to what has occurred at the MASSLIVE board. I do not browse that board. Most of us in the so called "anti-Lappas" camp on this board are die hard fans of the program just like yourselves.

I will only speak for myself when I say that I would be a fool to deny that there hasn't been player improvement. Clearly there has been. We are now starting to play up to the level of competition (which we all must admit hasn't been great), and some of the guys are beginning to hit a stride. I do not think that if we played Texas Tech or UConn again that the margin of defeat would be as high as it was in the first game.

What I do believe is that given an objective analysis (record, recruits, scheduling, player development, etc.) of Lappas' last 6 or so seasons as head coach, one could argue that he started the decline of Villanova basketball and has contributed to the delay of us being back to national prominence in a reasonable amount of time. I am not saying we should be in the top 10 right away. But, we should be in the top 50 and attracting higher level recruits than we are now.

The players on this current roster are good players who have only in a span of 5 games seemed to paly well in Lappas' system. But we should not forget the two plus seasons where the players Lappas inherited and recruited have failed to paly well in his system, and as a result, we have lost too many games in fashions that have hurt as much more.

I am rooting for these players to improve,and will continue to cheer for my team and hope for the best. I would just like to see if these players can take their talent to another level under a different system and environment.

GO UMASS!

fbiman
Sophomore

Post by fbiman » Tue Feb 10, 2004 11:19 am

zultr wrote:jj, it's the same guerilla tactics they employed at MassLive. Now that some people here have committed the sin of not being in total agreement, it's time to destroy this place too. And when it happens, they can think they've accomplished something.
I agree with you guys.

But I also agree with Wiggum. If we don't like what he says, we shouldn't read his posts. I know I've stopped reading his verbose rants about how it was a mistake to fire Bruiser. If others follow suit, then nobody will respond to him. And if he doesn't get the attention he feels he deserves, he'll stop.

Then the world will be a better place for you and me......WE ARE THE WORLD........WE ARE THE CHILDREN.............................
That's not an MP, that's a YP. Not My Problem, Your Problem.

Wiggum
Junior

Post by Wiggum » Tue Feb 10, 2004 11:24 am

To repeat, I don't believe Lappas should be fired because he's inferior to Flint. He should be fired because he's inferior for the needs of the program.

And JJ, your hypebole is noted, given that this is one of the 2 or 3 out of the 50 threads on the front page that I appear on.

obg
Senior

Post by obg » Tue Feb 10, 2004 11:48 am

My last comment on this nonsense.
Flint is gone get over it, he has.
Did I like the style of BB that he played? Yes it was entertaining.
Do I like Lappas' system? No, it's boring.
Did I always think that Flint was always right? No. there were times when he pissed me off. Getting a bench foul in crunch time that made it impossible for the players to pull out a win comes to mind.
Do I always think Lappas is always right? No, hardly ever.
Did I agree with Flint's leaving? Yes and no, I understood the problem with the ticket sales, but I did not like the way it happened because it hurt the players chance of post season play.
Other things that bothered me about Flint's leaving that didn't involve the department. Some of the posters on MassLive were blatantly racist. It was labeled as such. Some those people tried it on Mike's board and got knocked off. After Flint left some of those people came over here with new board games. They are still around. I can't help feeling that some but not all of the rabid Lappas supporters want Lappas to stay because they are afraid his secessor may have dark skin.
I want to see Lappas replaced because I think we will see the two big men system that puts me to sleep.
They may not be great, but they won't be boring!

kdogg8173
Senior

Post by kdogg8173 » Tue Feb 10, 2004 12:02 pm

obg wrote:After Flint left some of those people came over here with new board games. They are still around. I can't help feeling that some but not all of the rabid Lappas supporters want Lappas to stay because they are afraid his secessor may have dark skin.
You have got to be kidding me. We're not living in the south. A statement like that shouldnt even be made on this board. Get real.

Rudy
Junior

Post by Rudy » Tue Feb 10, 2004 1:49 pm

kdogg8173 wrote:
obg wrote:After Flint left some of those people came over here with new board games. They are still around. I can't help feeling that some but not all of the rabid Lappas supporters want Lappas to stay because they are afraid his secessor may have dark skin.
You have got to be kidding me. We're not living in the south. A statement like that shouldnt even be made on this board. Get real.
I second that. That's ridiculous. By the way, its successor not secessor. Secess is an old southern term for secessionist. Maybe, subconsciously you are in the old south.