Game 10, 2022-23: vs Hofstra (Brooklyn, 12/11)

Anything and everything that is UMass Minutemen Basketball.
natwam2547
Hall of Fame

Re: Game 10, 2022-23: vs Hofstra (Brooklyn, 12/11)

Post by natwam2547 » Mon Dec 12, 2022 12:22 pm

tp_0722 wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 10:03 am It felt to me like this game was a direct result of the Lowell loss. I’ve watched Frank Martin teams for years in the SEC - he’ll throw a regular season game away to prove a point. How animus he was about the lack of effort after the Albany game kind of tipped me off that he might play some funky rotations in order for the team to “get the message” vs. Lowell.

Not saying he tried to lose on purpose, but that he was looking to make the game as difficult as possible so the team would have something to overcome.

This strategy usually works for him and I think it is why his teams are so successful in the tournament compared to their relatively average play in the regular season. His experimentation and steadfast focus on defense allows his teams to find themselves and play as a cohesive unit at the end of the year, when other teams have taken shortcuts to get to the tournament at all costs.
This is a great comment, and while may or may not be true, makes sense. Especially since there seemed to be a theme with all of Martin's post game comments. How do you get a group of guys to play much better, even when they are exceeding expectations and winning games? Maybe that was it.

tp_0722

Post by tp_0722 » Mon Dec 12, 2022 12:54 pm

natwam2547 wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 12:22 pm
tp_0722 wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 10:03 am It felt to me like this game was a direct result of the Lowell loss. I’ve watched Frank Martin teams for years in the SEC - he’ll throw a regular season game away to prove a point. How animus he was about the lack of effort after the Albany game kind of tipped me off that he might play some funky rotations in order for the team to “get the message” vs. Lowell.

Not saying he tried to lose on purpose, but that he was looking to make the game as difficult as possible so the team would have something to overcome.

This strategy usually works for him and I think it is why his teams are so successful in the tournament compared to their relatively average play in the regular season. His experimentation and steadfast focus on defense allows his teams to find themselves and play as a cohesive unit at the end of the year, when other teams have taken shortcuts to get to the tournament at all costs.
This is a great comment, and while may or may not be true, makes sense. Especially since there seemed to be a theme with all of Martin's post game comments. How do you get a group of guys to play much better, even when they are exceeding expectations and winning games? Maybe that was it.
Right. He threw the whole team under the bus after Albany, then was totally supportive and laudatory after losing to Lowell. It’s a tear-them-down-to-build-them-up approach, something he has done as long as I have watched his teams.

The number one criteria a player must have to play for Frank Martin is toughness. I think he sensed this team was not yet tough enough for conference play. The way UMass blitzed Hofstra out of the halftime break tells me the coaching worked.

eldonabe
Hall of Fame

Post by eldonabe » Mon Dec 12, 2022 1:15 pm

MakeMullinsGreatAgain wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 10:35 am
eldonabe wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 9:51 am I would call this one of those "gut it out" wins. They really did not do much really well and won the game the old fashions way:

They outrebounded Hofstra 44-32
They turned the ball over less 12-17

They definitely shot the ball better in the second half and that opened the floor up for them, but all in all they just settled down and played better - period. They need to get through Noah's absence without too much damage and they will ok OK I think.

Realistically, they probably lose at least one more game in the OC, but 9-3 is a great OC for them as far as I am concerned and gives them a reasonable chance to get to 20 wins including 1 A10-Tourney win and I would think that gets them an NIT game.
you'd be ok with them losing to North Texas or Dartmouth? We are MUCH better than both - even without Noah - I'd be very disappointed if they lose to either one. Before the season started I would have signed up for 8-4 - now I look back and think we should be 9-1 and on our way to 11-1 OOC. I know we stole one vs Charlotte but I think that evened out with that UML loss. We need to beat teams like North Texas if we're going to have any chance of NCAA's.

Who said I would be "OK" with it? What I said was without Noah on the floor this team needs to get through this stretch with minimal damage. And for the record I would be OK if they finish 9-3 in the OC which likely correlates to a loss against NT or Dartmouth.

Simply put, they are a much better team with Noah playing than not. IMO they do not lose to UML if he plays (for starters), and they possibly finish 11-1 OC as well.

And, me being "OK" with them winning or losing has nothing to do with nothing. I don't dictate anything within the program, and they certainly don't answer to me (any more than they do to you); I just attend games and want to see something better that what I endured the last 13 or 14 years. It is nice to see a team in the Mullins again that I feel like has a chance to win every time they get on the court. These guys are fun to watch again and I am enjoying this immensely.

The most frustrating thing to me is his kid playing as many meaningful minutes as he does and that isn't even anything more than an annoyance. He doesn't hurt them out there, but he doesn't produce many stats either.

UMass1927
Sophomore

Post by UMass1927 » Mon Dec 12, 2022 2:27 pm

eldonabe wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 9:51 am
The most frustrating thing to me is his kid playing as many meaningful minutes as he does and that isn't even anything more than an annoyance. He doesn't hurt them out there, but he doesn't produce many stats either.
His son is also out of eligibility after this year. It's a very short term "problem" that everyone just needs to accept.
Make UMass Basketball Great Again

natwam2547
Hall of Fame

Post by natwam2547 » Mon Dec 12, 2022 2:57 pm

Martin was quoted in the article in the collegian as saying that Cross was playing through a bug. As much as I appreciate him gutting it out, at the risk of sounding too soft, I really hope that isn't something that goes around the team the next 1-2 weeks.

MakeMullinsGreatAgain
Junior

Post by MakeMullinsGreatAgain » Mon Dec 12, 2022 3:08 pm

eldonabe wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 1:15 pm
eldonabe wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 9:51 am I would call this one of those "gut it out" wins. They really did not do much really well and won the game the old fashions way:

They definitely shot the ball better in the second half and that opened the floor up for them, but all in all they just settled down and played better - period. They need to get through Noah's absence without too much damage and they will ok OK I think.

Realistically, they probably lose at least one more game in the OC, but 9-3 is a great OC for them as far as I am concerned and gives them a reasonable chance to get to 20 wins including 1 A10-Tourney win and I would think that gets them an NIT game.
you'd be ok with them losing to North Texas or Dartmouth? We are MUCH better than both - even without Noah - I'd be very disappointed if they lose to either one. Before the season started I would have signed up for 8-4 - now I look back and think we should be 9-1 and on our way to 11-1 OOC. I know we stole one vs Charlotte but I think that evened out with that UML loss. We need to beat teams like North Texas if we're going to have any chance of NCAA's.

Who said I would be "OK" with it? What I said was without Noah on the floor this team needs to get through this stretch with minimal damage. And for the record I would be OK if they finish 9-3 in the OC which likely correlates to a loss against NT or Dartmouth.

Simply put, they are a much better team with Noah playing than not. IMO they do not lose to UML if he plays (for starters), and they possibly finish 11-1 OC as well.

And, me being "OK" with them winning or losing has nothing to do with nothing. I don't dictate anything within the program, and they certainly don't answer to me (any more than they do to you); I just attend games and want to see something better that what I endured the last 13 or 14 years. It is nice to see a team in the Mullins again that I feel like has a chance to win every time they get on the court. These guys are fun to watch again and I am enjoying this immensely.

I asked if you'd be ok with it - I didn't accuse you of being ok with it. Call me greedy but I'm not ok with a 9-3 record because that means they will have lost to two teams not as good as them. I know the NET and Kenpom say UML and N. Texas are better but I personally don't feel like they are - with or without Noah so yes I would be a little disappointed if they are 9-3

HerndonHops
Sophomore

Post by HerndonHops » Mon Dec 12, 2022 6:54 pm

eldonabe wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 1:15 pm

And, me being "OK" with them winning or losing has nothing to do with nothing.
Double negative means you believe it "has everything to do with everything." I'm just happy to contribute.

Floyd
Hall of Fame

Post by Floyd » Mon Dec 12, 2022 7:24 pm

Any word anywhere what Noah's injury actually is , or if he's still expected back at the end of the month?
Time to Win

Berkman
Hall of Fame

Post by Berkman » Mon Dec 12, 2022 7:42 pm

From what I heard mentioned at one of the games he has a high ankle sprain and they don't expect him to return until the New Years eve game.

DoctorJ
Hall of Fame

Post by DoctorJ » Mon Dec 12, 2022 7:55 pm

Good question on Noah. I'm just hoping he is back for St. Bonaventure, would be nice to see him test it out for a dozen minutes or so against Dartmouth if it is healed. However, I think it could be beneficial to let him heal up and give Key and Diggs the minutes for these last two OOC games. I'd like to see a lot of freshman / sophomore minutes vs Dartmouth as they are the only team bad enough to lose to CCSU this year and the frosh need seasoning.
Refuse To Lose!!!

uz2b-len
Hall of Fame

Post by uz2b-len » Mon Dec 12, 2022 9:27 pm

Initial news we heard about Noah was the coaches were hoping he could be back for New Year's Eve against the Bonnies. Did not sound like they were counting on it at the time. Given the long recovery time I'm wondering if it's maybe a high ankle sprain
"All credit to my teammates, all glory to God."-- Chaz Williams

Floyd
Hall of Fame

Post by Floyd » Tue Dec 13, 2022 6:33 am

Thanks for the replies guys. High ankle sprains can be tough, especially playing hoop. Hope it heals up with no lingering effects and Noah isn't affected all year. Big part of this team
Time to Win

Worcester_To_Amherst
Senior

Post by Worcester_To_Amherst » Tue Dec 13, 2022 7:01 am

Hope they dont rush Noah back. Only way to the tourney is the A10 Championship and that’s where he’s needed the most.