KAEO Robert Davis Jr

Anything and everything that is UMass Minutemen Basketball.
Juice Stand
Hall of Fame

Re: KAEO Robert Davis Jr

Post by Juice Stand » Fri Apr 05, 2024 5:43 am

You're right, we don't know. I just find that one hard to believe. He wasn't a guy at the end of the bench that never got into games, and Frank Martin praised his growth throughout the season. I have a hard time seeing the staff pushing him out when weeks later they haven't signed anybody to replace him. One of our weaknesses this year was 3pt shooting, acknowledged by Martin, and he seemed like a kid that could grow and fill a role next year.

Regardless, he's not here...I hope he's not still getting paid by the collective. My understanding is that once a player transfers, the contract is terminated, so the Hannoush connection at this point is odd.

Juice Stand
Hall of Fame

Post by Juice Stand » Fri Apr 05, 2024 6:05 am

I think most people that are familiar with my posts know that I don't really knock the players very often, although I was tough on Worthy at times this season. But I just wanted to add that I was skeptical of Davis when he signed and made a post about it. I'm naturally skeptical of "talkers", and I posted something along the lines of, "he'll have to prove it, and we'll see if he stays in for another season". Well, he was quick to enter the portal and quick to commit elsewhere (1000% committed if I remember correctly).

I liked him as a player, well I liked his potential more than his actual production, but as a freshman I gave him a pass. But the kid came off from day 1 as a self-promoter, and good for him. He's allowed to do that. But every time I saw a post from him about "his brand" I sort of knew what he was all about.

I understand that I don't know him, I don't know what went down with his decision to transfer, and I don't know about his deal with the collective, but it seems to me like all the UMass love talk was cheap, and he was more into his brand. Anyway, I wish him well. I know this post was a little harsh, but that's my opinion.

inthescoop
Hall of Fame

Post by inthescoop » Fri Apr 05, 2024 8:27 am

Hannoush needs a marketing director

umasscollective
Junior

Post by umasscollective » Fri Apr 05, 2024 10:03 am

MikeUMA wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 4:30 pm This is a little odd. Davis just tweeted a promo for Hanoush Jewelers Hadley.
https://twitter.com/robertdav1sjr/statu ... 9774308460

Kinda figured he be done with local promos now that he has committed elsewhere.

Patrick - Any comment? Is this a deal that came under his NIL with MassCo, or is this something separate that he's still fulfilling?
Robert’s deal (and Josh’s deal) were both terminated the moment they entered the transfer portal.

Juice Stand
Hall of Fame

Post by Juice Stand » Fri Apr 05, 2024 10:54 am

^Thanks! Good to hear confirmation of that.

minutefanjsf
Hall of Fame

Post by minutefanjsf » Fri Apr 05, 2024 6:46 pm

Juice Stand wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 5:43 am You're right, we don't know. I just find that one hard to believe. He wasn't a guy at the end of the bench that never got into games, and Frank Martin praised his growth throughout the season. I have a hard time seeing the staff pushing him out when weeks later they haven't signed anybody to replace him. One of our weaknesses this year was 3pt shooting, acknowledged by Martin, and he seemed like a kid that could grow and fill a role next year.

Regardless, he's not here...I hope he's not still getting paid by the collective. My understanding is that once a player transfers, the contract is terminated, so the Hannoush connection at this point is odd.
I agree Frank talked well about him. I also posted and remember clearly Frank yelling at him during VCU and St. Bonnies for not defending. The kid coming from south Kent could easily be preparing to take Davis’s spot and we don’t know if there is an additional player in the portal. The three incoming guys are going to play, IMO. Might be a situation where Frank liked RDJ, but felt he would be better off somewhere else. Might also be he left on his own. I agree the Hanoush thing is weird. He is a fashion guy, though.

Juice Stand
Hall of Fame

Post by Juice Stand » Sat Apr 06, 2024 6:46 am

You might be right, but I'm not buying that Frank yelling at him means anything at all. He signed up for Frank's style, and we all spent the season talking about how this was "Frank's group of guys", and then there's this: https://twitter.com/robertdav1sjr/statu ... 0514970875

Frank goes full psychopath right in Davis' face and Davis reposts the video saying "wouldnt have it any other way!!"
... well apparently he would.

Floyd
Hall of Fame

Post by Floyd » Sat Apr 06, 2024 7:25 am

minutefanjsf wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 6:46 pm The kid coming from south Kent could easily be preparing to take Davis’s spot
My guess is Nate is a much more rounded player and Davis saw a possibility of reduced potential time and looked elsewhere. Guess I couldn't blame him, but why not stick and battle it out, competition makes you better. Could always transfer out next year if things don't work out.
Time to Win

minutefanjsf
Hall of Fame

Post by minutefanjsf » Sat Apr 06, 2024 8:41 am

Juice Stand wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2024 6:46 am You might be right, but I'm not buying that Frank yelling at him means anything at all. He signed up for Frank's style, and we all spent the season talking about how this was "Frank's group of guys", and then there's this: https://twitter.com/robertdav1sjr/statu ... 0514970875

Frank goes full psychopath right in Davis' face and Davis reposts the video saying "wouldnt have it any other way!!"
... well apparently he would.
I agree yelling is not the the point. The message within the yell about not defending at that point in the season implied Frank had been delivering that message all season and RDJ was not able to defend to Frank’s expectations, still.

69MG
Hall of Fame

Post by 69MG » Sat Apr 06, 2024 10:44 am

^ Have to agree that Robert's defense was a liability for him. How many times did we see Frank insert Robert into a game and have Robert pick up a foul within 30 seconds?

Floridafan71
Sophomore

Post by Floridafan71 » Mon Apr 08, 2024 2:13 am

Robert just didn’t shoot well. Didn’t play defense well. Didn’t seemed to have a feel for the game. Nice kid.Potential only. The best basketball schools didn’t recruit him and we can see why.

MikeUMA
Site Admin

Post by MikeUMA » Fri Apr 26, 2024 8:37 am

Interesting comment from Davis night on Twitter:
https://twitter.com/robertdav1sjr/statu ... 9238213803

We have NO idea what he means for sure, but for a guy who just transferred out...

natwam2547
Hall of Fame

Post by natwam2547 » Fri Apr 26, 2024 12:51 pm

If it is a shot at Frank, that's gotta be one of the fastest 180's I've ever seen. And not just because he transferred, that's the norm. But being a "Frank guy" and being in Frank's corner vocally to this is something....

minutefanjsf
Hall of Fame

Post by minutefanjsf » Fri Apr 26, 2024 5:39 pm

natwam2547 wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 12:51 pm If it is a shot at Frank, that's gotta be one of the fastest 180's I've ever seen. And not just because he transferred, that's the norm. But being a "Frank guy" and being in Frank's corner vocally to this is something....
Considering his mother and Frank’s wife were together often and Davis didn’t really say anything bad about Frank this could simply be that the player is turning down Kentucky to go to Arkansas. There are both SEC schools but Kentucky is Kentucky.

TheOFFSeason
Senior

Post by TheOFFSeason » Fri Apr 26, 2024 7:08 pm

minutefanjsf wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 5:39 pm
natwam2547 wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 12:51 pm If it is a shot at Frank, that's gotta be one of the fastest 180's I've ever seen. And not just because he transferred, that's the norm. But being a "Frank guy" and being in Frank's corner vocally to this is something....
Considering his mother and Frank’s wife were together often and Davis didn’t really say anything bad about Frank this could simply be that the player is turning down Kentucky to go to Arkansas. There are both SEC schools but Kentucky is Kentucky.
Davis’ mother took a shot at Frank on Twitter a week or so ago…that friendship/relationship is no longer