If McCall is relieved of his duties

Anything and everything that is UMass Minutemen Basketball.

When?

Poll ended at Tue Mar 01, 2022 9:52 am

The same day they lose final game of season
49%
By the end of Day - Selection Sunday
15%
Before the tourney starts (Thursday Games not play in)
24%
He keeps his job
12%

Total votes: 41

Plano Minuteman
Junior

Re: If McCall is relieved of his duties

Post by Plano Minuteman » Wed Mar 02, 2022 12:21 pm

^

McCall got a team into the dance, he just did it with another coach's players.

I like your requirement though. Just want to see a coach with enough HC experience that we know what the capabilities are with their own recruits.

Sheck
Hall of Fame

Post by Sheck » Wed Mar 02, 2022 12:33 pm

PintOGuinness wrote: Wed Mar 02, 2022 12:12 pm Post Cal, who was the coach who had the most success from the time he started until he left? IMHO it was Ford.

What was Ford's experience prior to getting the UMass job? He took a bad Eastern Kentucky team and got them to the dance.

All of our post Cal hires were either assistant coaches with no head coaching experience, or in the case of Lappas, a retread from a power conference. None of those have worked for us.

My point? Go after a coach who has head experience, and has preferrably gotten a team to the dance.

Simple right? :)
Anything but simple. The two post-Cal coaches that took us to the NCAAs had no prior head coaching experience. Unfortunately the success dipped for both after that and with DK the bottom just fell right out after the NCAA appearance, even with a top 25 recruiting class.

I just think UMass needs to make a splash and hire the biggest name possible. If it's Archie Miller that to me is the school sending a message that it is serious about this basketball program. To eldonabe's point the pay needs to be up there. The university should absolutely be willing to make the next men's basketball coach the highest paid state employee.
#maction 🚩#flagship

jrdupe
Junior

Post by jrdupe » Wed Mar 02, 2022 12:45 pm

Bamford saying all the right things in presser...said several times they were in bad place 5 years ago in terms of what they could offer for salary - now they are prepared to go much higher if need be...hope he means it!

PreecherJenkins
Senior

Post by PreecherJenkins » Wed Mar 02, 2022 1:37 pm

jrdupe wrote: Wed Mar 02, 2022 12:45 pm Bamford saying all the right things in presser...said several times they were in bad place 5 years ago in terms of what they could offer for salary - now they are prepared to go much higher if need be...hope he means it!
what has changed? Where is this new money coming from?
"You are what your record says you are" Coach Bill P.

JUST SAY NO TO THE MAC

R&G
Junior

Post by R&G » Wed Mar 02, 2022 1:43 pm

Certainly not from ticket revenue.

TheInsider
Hall of Fame

Post by TheInsider » Wed Mar 02, 2022 1:46 pm

maybe they are finished paying all the coaches and department members he's fired over the years. They have spent a lot of money paying people not to work.

jrdupe
Junior

Post by jrdupe » Wed Mar 02, 2022 2:07 pm

PreecherJenkins wrote: Wed Mar 02, 2022 1:37 pm
jrdupe wrote: Wed Mar 02, 2022 12:45 pm Bamford saying all the right things in presser...said several times they were in bad place 5 years ago in terms of what they could offer for salary - now they are prepared to go much higher if need be...hope he means it!
what has changed? Where is this new money coming from?
No idea but even if they double McCall's salary to get an Archie Miller or Grasso - pretty sure it won't break the budget. I'm not even sure you'd have to pay Grasso much more than your paying McCall to get him here...right around 1 million would be a huge raise for him.

69MG
Hall of Fame

Post by 69MG » Wed Mar 02, 2022 2:40 pm

If we end up paying $1.5 million (and we should if we have to for the right guy) the Globe and the usual detractors will lose their minds. And I will be happy as hell (if it's the right guy).

InnervisionsUMASS
Hall of Fame

Post by InnervisionsUMASS » Wed Mar 02, 2022 2:45 pm

^

Bamford said in the press conference today that he expects the compensation to be in the Top 4 of the A10. He cited VCU, Dayton and SLU for comparison.

For reference, this article indicates Travis Ford makes $2.4mil: https://www.stltoday.com/sports/college ... %20million.
Stop waiting for UMass to do something big and help UMass do something big. - Shades

harbo
Hall of Fame

Post by harbo » Wed Mar 02, 2022 3:24 pm

DoctorJ wrote: Tue Mar 01, 2022 11:46 pm FCS counts and our friend Dennis Dent took us to a bowl game in like '76, when there were not many bowls. I forget what it was but I was just a kid. I do remember it though.
Possibly thinking of the '72 Boardwalk Bowl in Atlantic City. I was mad that I could not get down to that game. It was a Championship game, so it counts as UMass won what was in front of them.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1972_UMas ... tball_team

Granted, the game was played in the Atlantic City Convention Center and they had to shorten each endzone by two yards because of the immovable stage in the convention center. But we won the championship (regional championship, but the best we could possibly do).

Juice Stand
Hall of Fame

Post by Juice Stand » Thu Mar 03, 2022 10:20 am

Matt Vautour with a write up on McCall and his final home game: https://www.masslive.com/umassbasketbal ... utour.html

Interesting points about the tumultuous circumstances he's dealt with, from Pat Kelsey, to cancelling the A10 tourney right before tipoff in 2020, and then the January 6th riot cancelling their GW game last year. A really strange and crazy series of events.

69MG
Hall of Fame

Post by 69MG » Wed Mar 09, 2022 2:39 pm

I can't say it's 100% of the players, but this tells me that most of them like McCall and want to win for him. Celebration after the GMU game:

https://twitter.com/UMassBasketball/sta ... 4623769605

Floyd
Hall of Fame

Post by Floyd » Wed Mar 09, 2022 3:26 pm

I think he's actually relieved, pressure is gone
Time to Win

inthescoop
Hall of Fame

Post by inthescoop » Wed Mar 09, 2022 10:13 pm

69MG wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 2:39 pm I can't say it's 100% of the players, but this tells me that most of them like McCall and want to win for him. Celebration after the GMU game:

https://twitter.com/UMassBasketball/sta ... 4623769605
That was so much fun to watch. Once wasn’t enough!

LS71
Hall of Fame

Post by LS71 » Wed Mar 09, 2022 11:18 pm

^ If that's true, one can only wonder where that passion to win for him was before he was fired.
"Win without boasting, lose without crying." -- Julius Erving