All sports paused for 14 days!

Anything and everything that is UMass Minutemen Basketball.
Juice Stand
Hall of Fame

Re: All sports paused for 14 days!

Post by Juice Stand » Mon Feb 08, 2021 12:09 pm

Wow, that sucks. Being stuck in your house is one thing, but being stuck in a dorm room? I can walk around my house, do different things in different rooms, hang out in the backyard, whatever, but a dorm room is basically a prison cell with an XBox. I hate to say that my university is incompetent, but this is incompetence at a very high and dangerous level. Some might call it negligence.

Upstate10
Senior

Post by Upstate10 » Mon Feb 08, 2021 1:02 pm

Juice Stand wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 12:09 pm Wow, that sucks. Being stuck in your house is one thing, but being stuck in a dorm room? I can walk around my house, do different things in different rooms, hang out in the backyard, whatever, but a dorm room is basically a prison cell with an XBox. I hate to say that my university is incompetent, but this is incompetence at a very high and dangerous level. Some might call it negligence.
Extremely dangerous for mental health. Putting athletics aside, this has been a pretty severe failure by the university. I better not get an alumni email asking for a donation this week. Lol
Last edited by Upstate10 on Mon Feb 08, 2021 4:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

capezona
Hall of Fame

Post by capezona » Mon Feb 08, 2021 3:34 pm

I understand the frustration but it seems like the animosity is being directed wholly on the administration and not the irresponsible students who helped create the situation.

InnervisionsUMASS
Hall of Fame

Post by InnervisionsUMASS » Mon Feb 08, 2021 4:03 pm

capezona wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 3:34 pm I understand the frustration but it seems like the animosity is being directed wholly on the administration and not the irresponsible students who helped create the situation.

College kids are going to do college kid things. Even in a pandemic.
Stop waiting for UMass to do something big and help UMass do something big. - Shades

Jack
Senior

Post by Jack » Mon Feb 08, 2021 4:09 pm

capezona wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 3:34 pm I understand the frustration but it seems like the animosity is being directed wholly on the administration and not the irresponsible students who helped create the situation.

The animosity should be 100% directed wholly on the incompetent administration whose policy of cancelling all sports is totally idiotic and has no basis whatsoever in scientific or medicine. Subswammy is doing an incredibly poor job of leadership and should be held 100% accountable. Poor planning, poor implementation and then punishing our athletes who've done NOTHING wrong whatsoever and now they are far worse off than they would be if they simply maintained the same practice and game schedule w/proper precautions. This is sheer idiocy and Subswammy is responsible for it.

I pray that UMass calls me and asks me to write a check.... I will happily inform the caller that I have no intention of supporting this type of mismanagement.
Last edited by Jack on Mon Feb 08, 2021 4:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Marty Peretz
Hall of Fame

Post by Marty Peretz » Mon Feb 08, 2021 4:21 pm

This sucks.

uz2b-len
Hall of Fame

Post by uz2b-len » Mon Feb 08, 2021 4:54 pm

Firstly, I want to agree that "this sucks" is the bottom line. But look at it from the other side. If you're in management at UMass you share responsibility for whether people get covid and possibly die from it. If you're in that chain of command and a student dies or is disabled by covid, it's going to have a huge impact. I mean personal impact, not just financial or political. I think that's what's number one for the people making this decision. And to ramp it up a level, if they make an exception for athletes and one of them gets seriously ill, that's really a disaster. I feel bad for the athletes. I told Mrs Len last night that even when I was just playing pickup in the gym a few times a week, being forced to skip it was awful (like by a sprained ankle). This is a global pandemic. People are suffering far worse fates.

It's not just about money for the administration. Students have clamoring to get back on campus. There was a lot of pressure to open up. Clearly, the administrators weren't prepared and that was stupid. They should have had a plan for policing the off campus housing like the frats and Main St etc. I hope there's some investigative journalism that tells us more about how that happened, or, more precisely, didn't happen.
"All credit to my teammates, all glory to God."-- Chaz Williams

Floyd
Hall of Fame

Post by Floyd » Mon Feb 08, 2021 5:21 pm

Very good points Len. It sucks for everyone, but the priority has to be trying to keep everyone as safe as possible. Honestly, I was shocked that they all went back. Thought it would stay remote for the semester.

If this goes on all year, I'll be ready to audition for Life Below Zero or Naked and Afraid.
Time to Win

bobolink
Senior

Post by bobolink » Mon Feb 08, 2021 6:30 pm

students not following mandated covid precautions are at fault, but a good administration would anticipate where/when/how the precautions would likely be violated and do everything possible to ensure that wouldn't happen. Re-open frats, dorms, etc. with no anticipation of gatherings there? Really? I'd like to think there were measures taken and those measures just proved inadequate, but this sure feels like preparations were lacking. Poor preparation makes piss poor performance. Covid failures big and small have been everywhere for at least a year now. We have to learn faster than this.

uz2b-len
Hall of Fame

Post by uz2b-len » Mon Feb 08, 2021 6:57 pm

I agree with you on that.

uz2b-len
Hall of Fame

Post by uz2b-len » Mon Feb 08, 2021 7:25 pm

Let's see where this goes:
Monday night's ACC matchup between North Carolina and Miami was abruptly postponed just two hours before tipoff Monday evening when video of two UNC players partying maskless Saturday surfaced following the team's win over rival Duke on Saturday, a source confirmed to CBS Sports' Matt Norlander. The video, originally posted to Snapchat and subsequently posted to YouTube by The Daily Tar Heel, shows Tar Heels big men Armando Bacot and Day'Ron Sharpe partying with several individuals in an enclosed space, all of whom were not wearing masks.

NilesGold
Hall of Fame

Re: 2020-21 Atlantic 10 season

Post by NilesGold » Mon Feb 08, 2021 8:12 pm

SignMan wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 10:53 am Students only allowed out for twice weekly COVID testing, to get food, or for medical necessity.
This is the most asinine set of rules, whomever is deciding this is incompetent.

vanmeter
Hall of Fame

Post by vanmeter » Mon Feb 08, 2021 8:17 pm

I agree with Jack that this decision by the Chancellor to quarantine the entire school was paranoia on overdrive.
Athletes get tested regularly (I would bet daily). As has been the case if there is a positive result they go on pause.
Just because some people act irresponsibly is no reason to punish everyone.
Swamy should have anticipated once he lets students back there would be increased cases. He should have been proactive, like other schools (BU Northeatern to name 2) where people who broke the rules were suspended or expelled.
By not having a plan in place he has effectively punished those who gave followed the rules.

NilesGold
Hall of Fame

Post by NilesGold » Mon Feb 08, 2021 8:38 pm

As I understand it, under these rules, UMass students can leave their residence and go to a restaurant with indoor dining... but they're not allowed to leave their residence just to take a walk or go for a jog.

Madness

tdmass
Senior

Post by tdmass » Mon Feb 08, 2021 9:59 pm

https://dailycollegian.com/2021/02/i-ho ... -worth-it/

Very well written and right to the point!