Who would you hire as HC for 2021-22

Anything and everything that is UMass Minutemen Basketball.
m626t
Hall of Fame

Re: Who would you hire as HC for 2021-22

Post by m626t » Fri Jan 01, 2021 6:37 pm

capezona wrote: Fri Jan 01, 2021 4:11 pmSteve Lappas
Why not? He learned a lot from Rollie as he sure seems to know what he's talking about when doing commentary during games on tv. Maybe he should be given a shot here... oh, wait a minute...
All due respect, and I mean that from the bottom of my heart, I'm gonna pass.

TheInsider
Hall of Fame

Post by TheInsider » Fri Jan 01, 2021 7:56 pm

Would love to hear from TheOffseason on Tony. I know he would never go into detail but a simple yes or no would be very telling.

inthescoop
Hall of Fame

Post by inthescoop » Fri Jan 01, 2021 8:43 pm

I've said it in other threads and others here have already agreed. Jared Grasso, current coach at Bryant, who grew in the grassroots of NYC AAU ball. He is always recruiting and never stops learning and coaching. He can make UMass a special place, primarily because he will be bringing toughness and competitiveness that we have been urgently missing. But who knows if he will leave Bryant already.

The obvious answer here in my opinion is DWAYNE KILLINGS. Amherst, Massachusetts native and former UMass walk on who is now one of the best assistant coaches in the Big East at Marquette. Dwayne is completely a go getter, and has a great tree of connections working in the NBA, G-League, and NCAA. Dwayne coming to UMass is a no brainer hire in my opinion.

Other names to throw in: Michael Huger, Tod Kowalczyk, Kyle Neptune, Jeff Battle, Karl Hobbs, Kevin Boyle.
Last edited by inthescoop on Fri Jan 01, 2021 8:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Worcester_To_Amherst
Senior

Post by Worcester_To_Amherst » Fri Jan 01, 2021 8:45 pm

TheInsider wrote: Fri Jan 01, 2021 5:35 pm I know Tony has been very successful at the camp/high school level but my only question would be why did it take till now for him to get a college assistant job?? I'm sure behind the scenes at the college level the reason is known.
Tony is clearly rough around the edges and I’ve had similar thoughts about why this is his first sniff at the D1 level. This isn’t a personal knock on him, but I feel like he doesn’t project the image that most ADs want out of their head coach. But if he can lead a winning program I’m ok with rough around the edges.

PreecherJenkins
Senior

Post by PreecherJenkins » Fri Jan 01, 2021 9:15 pm

inthescoop wrote: Fri Jan 01, 2021 8:43 pm I've said it in other threads and others here have already agreed. Jared Grasso, current coach at Bryant, who grew in the grassroots of NYC AAU ball. He is always recruiting and never stops learning and coaching. He can make UMass a special place, primarily because he will be bringing toughness and competitiveness that we have been urgently missing. But who knows if he will leave Bryant already.

The obvious answer here in my opinion is DWAYNE KILLINGS. Amherst, Massachusetts native and former UMass walk on who is now one of the best assistant coaches in the Big East at Marquette. Dwayne is completely a go getter, and has a great tree of connections working in the NBA, G-League, and NCAA. Dwayne coming to UMass is a no brainer hire in my opinion.

Other names to throw in: Michael Huger, Tod Kowalczyk, Kyle Neptune, Jeff Battle, Karl Hobbs, Kevin Boyle.
Dk was the runner up to McCall last time. He’s ready for a head job.
"You are what your record says you are" Coach Bill P.

JUST SAY NO TO THE MAC

seanc

Post by seanc » Sat Jan 02, 2021 12:33 am

inthescoop wrote: Fri Jan 01, 2021 8:43 pm I've said it in other threads and others here have already agreed. Jared Grasso, current coach at Bryant, who grew in the grassroots of NYC AAU ball. He is always recruiting and never stops learning and coaching. He can make UMass a special place, primarily because he will be bringing toughness and competitiveness that we have been urgently missing. But who knows if he will leave Bryant already.

You sold me on Grasso and Killings sounds like he would be really good as well. We're so close at this point, I honestly just think we just need someone with local ties who cares about making UMass good. Bergeron has proven that we can recruit well at local prep schools and we've missed out on so many of those players until just recently with the Woodstock kids and Javohn Garcia. Then Grasso has proven that he can recruit NYC AAU players to the Northeast and we're so much better than Bryant at basically everything else so he could probably be similarly successful here.

I still think McCall might be able to figure it out and make a miracle run in the A10 tournament, but it just seems so much more likely that he crashes and burns this year with a first round exit in the A10 tournament like his second year here. And Bergeron seems much more likely to turn the team around this season so I think now is the best time to make a change.
Last edited by seanc on Sat Jan 02, 2021 5:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Juice Stand
Hall of Fame

Post by Juice Stand » Sat Jan 02, 2021 8:02 am

I have no opinion on Tony Bergeron as I don't really know his history. I do know that he's a bit brash and seems like the kind of guy that works his ass off to get what he wants. I like the fact that he's local, but as far as basketball coaching, I have no idea. My guess is that he would be like McCall and Kellogg. Load up on talent and cross your fingers, but that's just a guess.

My #1 choice would be John Becker at UVM. He's a New England guy and has been fantastic since he stepped on the Vermont campus. I don't know if he can coach or recruit at the A10 level, but I don't even really know what the hell that means. It's just something people say. What I know is that our last 2 coaches (13 years?) have been lacking in the basketball strategy department, and I think at this point I'd rather have a coach that can put together a good game plan and make adjustments than just rolling out the "more talented" group and hoping they make more shots.

69MG
Hall of Fame

Post by 69MG » Sat Jan 02, 2021 10:35 am

PreecherJenkins wrote: Fri Jan 01, 2021 9:15 pm
Dk was the runner up to McCall last time. He’s ready for a head job.
I almost fell off my chair when I read that. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Then I realized you were talking about Killings.

eldonabe
Hall of Fame

Post by eldonabe » Sat Jan 02, 2021 11:05 am

DanaDingle3 wrote: Fri Jan 01, 2021 4:12 pm In order:

Tony B
John Becker
Ryan Odom/Jared Grasso/Andy Toole
Andy Toole has been "on the list" since DK was given his extension..... I like him years ago but he has been basically treading water for 10 years.

eldonabe
Hall of Fame

Post by eldonabe » Sat Jan 02, 2021 11:17 am

Who we want and who we can have are probably two very different looking lists. I like Becker too but he has been there for 40 years (it seems). If he really had aspirations for any other job, I am sure he would have already moved.

I am not going to produce a list at this point, but I will say that I think it is important that we find a guy from the northeast.

As much as MM had some pedigree with Donovan etc.... he is still an outsider from his upbringing. I know that there are great basketball players and coaches from all over the country but the Northeast is a tough(er) sell to a kid from Florida or Texas. If you have a really solid NE coach with NE connections, I think you have the basis from which to build something. I know we are loaded with NE kids now, but they are all from one place/system. That is not what I am talking about.

Personally I am not on the Bergeron Train either. The guy has had success with talented players, but IMO when the opponents talent is of equal or greater value, he is a mediocre coach. Don't get me wrong, coaching is not easy, but when you can roll a ball out there and turn kids loose at the HS level when you have the 3 best players on the floor, it is much different and easier than it is at the College D1 level. He is in charge of Umass defense and the current defense SUCKS. No thank you!

NilesGold
Hall of Fame

Post by NilesGold » Sat Jan 02, 2021 11:52 am

eldonabe wrote: Sat Jan 02, 2021 11:17 am He is in charge of Umass defense and the current defense SUCKS. No thank you!
Do we know for sure if Bergeron is in charge of the defense? I know McCall mentioned something along these lines about a year ago, but are we sure he is now (or was ever) fully in charge of the defense?

TruBluMaroon
Hall of Fame

Post by TruBluMaroon » Sat Jan 02, 2021 12:09 pm

A great article from the Collegian (Amin Touri). , the source makes it a very credible piece as always, last year about pressing and it features “TB” presses...
https://dailycollegian.com/2019/12/star ... -to-press/

DanaDingle3
Junior

Post by DanaDingle3 » Sat Jan 02, 2021 12:34 pm

eldonabe wrote: Sat Jan 02, 2021 11:17 am Who we want and who we can have are probably two very different looking lists. I like Becker too but he has been there for 40 years (it seems). If he really had aspirations for any other job, I am sure he would have already moved.

I am not going to produce a list at this point, but I will say that I think it is important that we find a guy from the northeast.

As much as MM had some pedigree with Donovan etc.... he is still an outsider from his upbringing. I know that there are great basketball players and coaches from all over the country but the Northeast is a tough(er) sell to a kid from Florida or Texas. If you have a really solid NE coach with NE connections, I think you have the basis from which to build something. I know we are loaded with NE kids now, but they are all from one place/system. That is not what I am talking about.

Personally I am not on the Bergeron Train either. The guy has had success with talented players, but IMO when the opponents talent is of equal or greater value, he is a mediocre coach. Don't get me wrong, coaching is not easy, but when you can roll a ball out there and turn kids loose at the HS level when you have the 3 best players on the floor, it is much different and easier than it is at the College D1 level. He is in charge of Umass defense and the current defense SUCKS. No thank you!
I think you mischaracterize Bergeron, but I won't go further into it. He has a track record that folks on here are aware of, and everyone can judge for themselves.

I don't think we can afford to take a chance on an assistant, or someone who doesn't have head coaching experience. This program needs some stability and a steady guiding hand, similar to what Schmidt's brought to Bonaventure. That's why Becker, after TB, is my top choice. I don't want an assistant. I have no idea what makes Becker tick, but I'd reject any assistant coach suggestions out of hand.

HerndonHops
Sophomore

Post by HerndonHops » Sat Jan 02, 2021 3:18 pm

Not sure there’s a right thread for this, but as I’m watching the Iowa game, I did a quick search for Fran McCaffery, remembering that he was pretty much hired after we let Bruiser go. Quite a list of coaches we gave up on to land HWSNBN.

https://umasshoops.com/news/2001-02/coa ... 232001.htm

NilesGold
Hall of Fame

Post by NilesGold » Sat Jan 02, 2021 4:00 pm

TruBluMaroon wrote: Sat Jan 02, 2021 12:09 pm A great article from the Collegian (Amin Touri). , the source makes it a very credible piece as always, last year about pressing and it features “TB” presses...
https://dailycollegian.com/2019/12/star ... -to-press/
Written over a year ago, and at no point does it describe Bergeron as the person who's calling the shots on defense.

It's possible Bergeron has complete control over the entire defense, but it's also possible that Bergeron is tasked only with teaching the players their press defenses... but not when to use them, or which variety to use, or anything else related to the team's defense.
Last edited by NilesGold on Sat Jan 02, 2021 4:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.