Who would you hire as HC for 2021-22

Anything and everything that is UMass Minutemen Basketball.
NilesGold
Hall of Fame

Re: Who would you hire as HC for 2021-22

Post by NilesGold » Sat Jan 02, 2021 8:10 pm

PreecherJenkins wrote: Sat Jan 02, 2021 6:56 pm
NilesGold wrote: Sat Jan 02, 2021 6:36 pm Two more names:

Matt Langel - Fran Murphy disciple, Patriot league COY each of the last 3 years
Nathan Davis - 6th season at Bucknell, first/tied for fist place in the Patriot in 4 of 6 years
When was the last patriot league coach to made the step to a better league? I’m drawing a blank....

I’ll add two other names to the list:
Matthew musselman
Seth Greenberg.
Is the Patriot really all that much different than the NEC or the America East?

Seth Greenberg is a terrible option.

Why does the hire need to be splashy?

I'm open to current assistants, but I don't know much about any, and obviously they don't have much of a track record for us to examine.

PreecherJenkins
Senior

Post by PreecherJenkins » Sat Jan 02, 2021 9:18 pm

Why isn’t Seth a good hire? Umass needs someone who has won everywhere they’ve been. Seth wins every where he’s been. Plus he gets the marketing and tv side to get our aging fan base excited.

My first choice is coach Patrick at Arkansas. Went from a head at U.c riverside then went to be an assistant at an sec.

Here is another name niles silver will probably hate but if Marcus camby wanted the job I’d hire him.
"You are what your record says you are" Coach Bill P.

JUST SAY NO TO THE MAC

NilesGold
Hall of Fame

Post by NilesGold » Sat Jan 02, 2021 10:53 pm

PreecherJenkins wrote: Sat Jan 02, 2021 9:18 pm Why isn’t Seth a good hire? Umass needs someone who has won everywhere they’ve been. Seth wins every where he’s been. Plus he gets the marketing and tv side to get our aging fan base excited.

My first choice is coach Patrick at Arkansas. Went from a head at U.c riverside then went to be an assistant at an sec.

Here is another name niles silver will probably hate but if Marcus camby wanted the job I’d hire him.
In his 7 seasons at USF Seth Greenberg had a conference winning % of .427

I know nothing about Patrick at Arkansas, so I won't comment one way or the other yet.

To my knowledge Marcus Camby has 0 coaching experience, that would be a big concern.

PreecherJenkins
Senior

Post by PreecherJenkins » Sat Jan 02, 2021 11:26 pm

If Seth went .425 at Umass it would be better than the last five years! If you want mediocre hire the Bryant guy or hire me Vermont.

I’m sure you’d eliminate Tim miles for the same reason he isn’t a conference winner? The guy we have in there now is not a good coach. I said it day one I didn’t like the hire. It were in year four and even if they go. 9-9 in the a ten is anyone feeling this team can take the next step?

JUST SAY NO TO THE MAC

inthescoop
Hall of Fame

Post by inthescoop » Sun Jan 03, 2021 1:26 am

PreecherJenkins wrote: Sat Jan 02, 2021 6:56 pm
NilesGold wrote: Sat Jan 02, 2021 6:36 pm Two more names:

Matt Langel - Fran Murphy disciple, Patriot league COY each of the last 3 years
Nathan Davis - 6th season at Bucknell, first/tied for fist place in the Patriot in 4 of 6 years
When was the last patriot league coach to made the step to a better league? I’m drawing a blank....

I’ll add two other names to the list:
Matthew musselman
Seth Greenberg.
Seth Greenberg :lol: :lol: :lol:

Jackson96
Hall of Fame

Post by Jackson96 » Sun Jan 03, 2021 10:35 am

I don’t think this is a conversation just yet only 4 games into the season but I get why it is. That GMU game was a brutal loss and a brutal way to lose and the lack of progress is very concerning.

My only real comment is that if they decide to use a search committee when the time comes to hire another new coach, I can only hope that Preecher is nowhere near that committee. I would be comfortable if he was in a different hemisphere with no cell service and limited internet access.

Edit: I see Preecher had Killings as his number one guy. I take back what I posted. Killings would be the guy I’d want to take a shot on if it comes down to getting a new coach. Everyone I know speaks very highly of him. Grasso is also interesting.
Last edited by Jackson96 on Sun Jan 03, 2021 2:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I wrote a column and it went national"

bmc24
Junior

Post by bmc24 » Sun Jan 03, 2021 2:29 pm

I was salty after the GMU loss last week and concur with most of the sentiment and frustration on the board. But I’m not a big fan calling for a guys job this early in the season, especially over the holidays.

Separately, We’re acting like this is abnormal. We’ve been dealing with poorly coached basketball since TF left the program. Let Matt run with his recruits for the season and see where he stands then.

eldonabe
Hall of Fame

Post by eldonabe » Mon Jan 04, 2021 8:19 am

PreecherJenkins wrote: Sat Jan 02, 2021 6:56 pm Seth Greenberg.
HWSNBN - V2.0 - No thanks.

InnervisionsUMASS
Hall of Fame

Post by InnervisionsUMASS » Mon Jan 04, 2021 8:48 am

4 pages in 4 days.... plus the other two threads. I guess we really have given up on McCall. Wow.
Stop waiting for UMass to do something big and help UMass do something big. - Shades

MJatUM
Hall of Fame

Post by MJatUM » Mon Jan 04, 2021 9:00 am

bmc24 wrote: Sun Jan 03, 2021 2:29 pm I’m not a big fan calling for a guys job this early in the season, especially over the holidays.
Oh man I hope Tiny Tim McCall was able to afford a cooked goose for Christmas this year.

Plano Minuteman
Junior

Post by Plano Minuteman » Mon Jan 04, 2021 12:06 pm

PreecherJenkins wrote: Sat Jan 02, 2021 5:43 pm here would be my list:

1. DK (Killings)
2. Tim Miles
3. Gus Argenal
4. Nevada Smith
5. David Patrick

I am sure none of these guys will be on the actual list and we'll continue to struggle.

someone posted the coaching search of 2001. Just think if we would have ended up with Fran the screaming Man or Jimmy "Retirement" Lags. Instead we ended up with a retread guy who never coached again.
Tim Miles is a really interesting thought. He lives and breathes the game. I bumped into him a few times when he was coaching Colorado State. He did a complete turnaround here in Ft Collins. He's a better coach than he is a recruiter. He didn't have the most physically gifted teams, but guys improved every year under him. Not sure where it all went sour at Nebraska, his teams were on the verge of making the tourney, then the program backslid. Maybe he's a better fit for a non-Power 5 conference team?

Niko Medved is killing it at Colorado State, btw. I know he was mentioned by at least one or 2 people in the coaching thread before MM was hired. I would always take the small conference guys who take a team at the bottom of a conference and then makes them a perennial contender there. I feel that's the best measure of a good coach.

Roadtrip
Hall of Fame

Post by Roadtrip » Mon Jan 04, 2021 2:53 pm

If it were up to me, I'd fire Bamford and hire an AD who had some success at picking a coach who got the job done.

PreecherJenkins
Senior

Post by PreecherJenkins » Mon Jan 04, 2021 3:03 pm

Plano Minuteman wrote: Mon Jan 04, 2021 12:06 pm

1. DK (Killings)
2. Tim Miles
3. Gus Argenal
4. Nevada Smith
5. David Patrick

I am sure none of these guys will be on the actual list and we'll continue to struggle.

someone posted the coaching search of 2001. Just think if we would have ended up with Fran the screaming Man or Jimmy "Retirement" Lags. Instead we ended up with a retread guy who never coached again.
Tim Miles is a really interesting thought. He lives and breathes the game. I bumped into him a few times when he was coaching Colorado State. He did a complete turnaround here in Ft Collins. He's a better coach than he is a recruiter. He didn't have the most physically gifted teams, but guys improved every year under him. Not sure where it all went sour at Nebraska, his teams were on the verge of making the tourney, then the program backslid. Maybe he's a better fit for a non-Power 5 conference team?

Niko Medved is killing it at Colorado State, btw. I know he was mentioned by at least one or 2 people in the coaching thread before MM was hired. I would always take the small conference guys who take a team at the bottom of a conference and then makes them a perennial contender there. I feel that's the best measure of a good coach.
Niko is a Tim Miles coaching tree guy. My only knock on Miles would be can he recruit in Northeast? He would have Tweeting Greg Eaton on the staff who is a NE guy, but Timmy is from the Dakotas!

JUST SAY NO TO THE MAC

PreecherJenkins
Senior

Post by PreecherJenkins » Mon Jan 04, 2021 3:06 pm

Jackson96 wrote: Sun Jan 03, 2021 10:35 am I don’t think this is a conversation just yet only 4 games into the season but I get why it is. That GMU game was a brutal loss and a brutal way to lose and the lack of progress is very concerning.

My only real comment is that if they decide to use a search committee when the time comes to hire another new coach, I can only hope that Preecher is nowhere near that committee. I would be comfortable if he was in a different hemisphere with no cell service and limited internet access.

Edit: I see Preecher had Killings as his number one guy. I take back what I posted. Killings would be the guy I’d want to take a shot on if it comes down to getting a new coach. Everyone I know speaks very highly of him. Grasso is also interesting.
DK is my number one guy, he was my number one guy last time but full disclosure I consider DK a friend so I biased. Timmy Miles would be my number two.

Also Jackson what is so wrong with my list? I was kidding on Seth Greenberg, but the other names that must good AD's are watching. I do not think we can get a David Patrick becaues his goal working for Coach Muss is to get an SEC/ACC type job, not a bottom five A10 job.

JUST SAY NO TO THE MAC

NilesGold
Hall of Fame

Post by NilesGold » Mon Jan 04, 2021 3:35 pm

1. DK (Killings)
2. Tim Miles
3. Gus Argenal
4. Nevada Smith
5. David Patrick
This is a really weird list.
  • None of these guys are currently HCs
  • Nevada Smith isn't even an assistant right now, he's a Director of Program Development at Texas
  • Save Killings, as far as I can tell none of them have a connection to anything within 500 miles of New England in their life