Game 5, 2020-21: George Mason (12/30)

Anything and everything that is UMass Minutemen Basketball.
Kelz626
Junior

Re: Game 5, 2020-21: George Mason (12/30)

Post by Kelz626 » Thu Dec 31, 2020 9:24 am

McCall needs to go he’s had 101 games to show what he can do and has won 40...40 of 101. He’s tried to win by bringing transfers in, that failed. He’s tried to win by establishing a pipeline with a top tier prep powerhouse and its failed. He’s not a head coach, even at Chattanooga his team got worse in year 2.

Tony should be given the head coach position and see what he can do. He’s had success at every school he’s been at and unlike high school prep ball has a lot of the same elements as college. You have to be able to balance recruiting, game planning, and in game coaching and adjustments. For anyone saying “well Tony runs the defense and it’s sucked” it’s hard to develop any type of defensive rhythm when the offense is jacking up 3’s and opponents can get out on a break and get easy baskets. The offense is the problem and they 5 games McCall can’t seem to figure it out. He has the best big man in the country yet the offense doesn’t flow thru him in the post. This is the 4th game now were it’s halfway thru the 1st half and everyone has taken more shots than Tre. From tip-off the game plan should be establish Tre down low so they have to double him and that will get other guys open looks from 3. Yet they toss up 30 3’s including Tre and Weeks going a combined 2-14 (14%) from 3. Meanwhile Tre shot 5-7 (71%) from inside the arch but yet no adjustment to get it to him inside. This loss is entirely on McCall, they gave up 62 points at the end of regulation, a team with this type of offensive firepower should win games like that easily if they are coached correctly and have an actual offensive approach other than “let it fly from 3”

eldonabe
Hall of Fame

Post by eldonabe » Thu Dec 31, 2020 9:25 am

BAD

LOSS

eldonabe
Hall of Fame

Post by eldonabe » Thu Dec 31, 2020 9:29 am

Kelz626 wrote: Thu Dec 31, 2020 9:24 am McCall needs to go he’s had 101 games to show what he can do and has won 40...40 of 101. He’s tried to win by bringing transfers in, that failed. He’s tried to win by establishing a pipeline with a top tier prep powerhouse and its failed. He’s not a head coach, even at Chattanooga his team got worse in year 2.

Tony should be given the head coach position and see what he can do. He’s had success at every school he’s been at and unlike high school prep ball has a lot of the same elements as college. You have to be able to balance recruiting, game planning, and in game coaching and adjustments. For anyone saying “well Tony runs the defense and it’s sucked” it’s hard to develop any type of defensive rhythm when the offense is jacking up 3’s and opponents can get out on a break and get easy baskets. The offense is the problem and they 5 games McCall can’t seem to figure it out. He has the best big man in the country yet the offense doesn’t flow thru him in the post. This is the 4th game now were it’s halfway thru the 1st half and everyone has taken more shots than Tre. From tip-off the game plan should be establish Tre down low so they have to double him and that will get other guys open looks from 3. Yet they toss up 30 3’s including Tre and Weeks going a combined 2-14 (14%) from 3. Meanwhile Tre shot 5-7 (71%) from inside the arch but yet no adjustment to get it to him inside. This loss is entirely on McCall, they gave up 62 points at the end of regulation, a team with this type of offensive firepower should win games like that easily if they are coached correctly and have an actual offensive approach other than “let it fly from 3”

NO NO NO..... Tony is not the answer either.

He cannot even handle half of the game never mind the whole thing. This (his) defense is pitiful and you want to give him control of the offense too? Um - NO

jrdupe
Junior

Post by jrdupe » Thu Dec 31, 2020 9:40 am

[/quote]
Had a 6 point lead in the 3rd OT as well!
[/quote]

well, they only went 2 OT's but if they did go to 3 OT they probably would have had a 6 point lead and blown that as well :D

Cahoonaville
Senior

Post by Cahoonaville » Thu Dec 31, 2020 9:41 am

dennisdent wrote: Thu Dec 31, 2020 12:17 am
Refuse2Lose83 wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 11:46 pm 3. If McCall is fired I DO NOT trust Bamford to find the right guy. Carvel is the only one he's gotten right as Verdi was mostly our assistant AD's (her name escapes me) doing.
Bamford got very lucky that Carvel is a UMass grad alum and his wife's from Amherst. I seriously doubt Carvel comes/stays at UMass hockey if is wasn't for those reasons. Bamford's only two real male hires are abject failures!
This times 1000!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Alex Guerrero, my HERO!!!!

kd68
Junior

Post by kd68 » Thu Dec 31, 2020 9:50 am

I don’t think anything will happen with coaching etc until the pandemic ends.

69MG
Hall of Fame

Post by 69MG » Thu Dec 31, 2020 10:15 am

Been thinking about what I wish for the team this season. Better defense is so obvious I'm leaving it out. Here are my 4 wishes:

1. TJ needs to be closer to the TJ of last year than this year. Play good D, get some boards and get up to 38% to 40% from 3.
2. We need more out of Gasperini. I'm hoping that the leg injury is what's held him back and he recovers. Otherwise, Tre might burn out.
3. Dibaji has to be at least good as he was last year, and that's not asking for much. He showed flashes last year, but very inconsistent.
4. Preston to come back in good shape mentally and physically. He adds so much when he's right.
Sorry to say we were 0/4 and not much improvement on defense.

Kelz626
Junior

Post by Kelz626 » Thu Dec 31, 2020 10:17 am

eldonabe wrote: Thu Dec 31, 2020 9:29 am
Kelz626 wrote: Thu Dec 31, 2020 9:24 am McCall needs to go he’s had 101 games to show what he can do and has won 40...40 of 101. He’s tried to win by bringing transfers in, that failed. He’s tried to win by establishing a pipeline with a top tier prep powerhouse and its failed. He’s not a head coach, even at Chattanooga his team got worse in year 2.

He cannot even handle half of the game never mind the whole thing. This (his) defense is pitiful and you want to give him control of the offense too? Um - NO
The defense is a product of this awful offense. Jack up 3’s let the other team grab the rebound and get out on a break. In the 2 wins Tre had 14 shots and 16 shots inside the 3 point arch and they were 2 of the better defensive efforts this year. They gave up 93 points to Bryant and UMass shot 9-34 (26%)from 3 that game. Weeks went 1-9 from 3 last night and it allowed Mason to get out on breaks. If Tony controlled offense and defense the defensive results would be better

Not too mention there is no effort or intensity on defense or rebounding. That’s on McCall, Bergeron can only do so much to inspire these guys to play hard before he’s stepping on the head coach’s toes

Floyd
Hall of Fame

Post by Floyd » Thu Dec 31, 2020 12:13 pm

Aside from a couple guys, I don't see a lot of passion from this team. Maybe they're young, but coming from good programs, it surprises me. Hate the offense, I think it looks disjointed and too much 3 pt shooting. Aside from a few plays here and there, theres no cutters or guys coming off screens. Can't rely on Tre every game as teams are just loading up on him now and wearing him down. Really disappointing so far this season to see a team with this talent struggle
Time to Win

NilesGold
Hall of Fame

Post by NilesGold » Thu Dec 31, 2020 12:27 pm

bmc24 wrote: Thu Dec 31, 2020 9:09 am Our defensive rebounding was atrocious. Lots of ball watching with ball in the air and not enough blocking out. CP got burnt twice in overtime, once at the end which cost us the loss.
Maybe this is true in selective key moments, but the data doesn't support it over the full game. UMass' defensive rebounding was 82.1% in the game, which is actually quite good. Mason's was 81%.

DanaDingle3
Junior

Post by DanaDingle3 » Thu Dec 31, 2020 12:33 pm

Kelz626 wrote: Thu Dec 31, 2020 10:17 am
eldonabe wrote: Thu Dec 31, 2020 9:29 am

The defense is a product of this awful offense. Jack up 3’s let the other team grab the rebound and get out on a break. In the 2 wins Tre had 14 shots and 16 shots inside the 3 point arch and they were 2 of the better defensive efforts this year. They gave up 93 points to Bryant and UMass shot 9-34 (26%)from 3 that game. Weeks went 1-9 from 3 last night and it allowed Mason to get out on breaks. If Tony controlled offense and defense the defensive results would be better

Not too mention there is no effort or intensity on defense or rebounding. That’s on McCall, Bergeron can only do so much to inspire these guys to play hard before he’s stepping on the head coach’s toes
I'm with you, Kelz626. Offense and defense are too enmeshed to have these two guys with seemingly different philosophies try to run complementary schemes. The result is disjointed.

TB gets the benefit of the doubt because he's been a head coach for a long time, with a lot of success. Cripes, the guy won the Western MA championship at East Longmeadow, when he briefly stopped there. Not exactly a powerhouse or a place where a coach recruits players. He's coached and won at a lot of different places. Time to give him the reigns. He has all his guys. If it doesn't work, blow it up.

I can't take much more of the current situation.

inthescoop
Hall of Fame

Post by inthescoop » Thu Dec 31, 2020 1:45 pm

Would be nice to get a New Years update from TheOFFSEASON! :D

69MG
Hall of Fame

Post by 69MG » Thu Dec 31, 2020 2:33 pm

I've probably fumed about this game more than I should have, but for me it's one of the worst losses I can recall. I'm still convinced that a single play cost us the game. That was the DeGray Hail Mary near the end of regulation.

We had a 5 point lead with 1:04 to play. If he gets the ball in to anybody near him, we run a few seconds off the clock and get fouled. We're in the double bonus and we make at least 1, giving us a 6 or 7 point lead. Instead, they get the ball under their own basket, make a shot and get fouled. Now our lead is 2 and only 1 second has run off the clock.

Someone on twitter mentioned that the long throw might have been an option and Ronnie picked the wrong option. That's not just bad coaching, it's horrible coaching. That option should never have been on the table. Don't put that decision in the player's hands, especially a freshman.

OK. maybe I'm done ranting about this game.

NilesGold
Hall of Fame

Post by NilesGold » Thu Dec 31, 2020 2:41 pm

69MG wrote: Thu Dec 31, 2020 2:33 pm Someone on twitter mentioned that the long throw might have been an option and Ronnie picked the wrong option. That's not just bad coaching, it's horrible coaching. That option should never have been on the table. Don't put that decision in the player's hands, especially a freshman.
Indeed this was the one that really stands out to me. I have no idea where the truth lies, but my understanding is that DeGray isn't supposed to attempt that pass, Carl is only supposed to run up the court to drag defenders and clear space.

Here's the crux of the problem - there's a disconnect between what McCall says before and after games, and what the players do, and if they're consistently not executing over the course of a game, seasons, several seasons, that falls on no one but the HC.

69MG
Hall of Fame

Post by 69MG » Thu Dec 31, 2020 3:00 pm

^ That seems very plausible. Over the last 10+ years (DK and MM) there have been a lot of games where I/we have commented on poor in-game coaching. This game for me tops them all. The DeGray play and not fouling at the end of the 1st OT really stand out as inept coaching. For those that didn't see the game, here's what happened at the end of the first OT:

We're up by 3 with 15 seconds left. GMU takes the ball up court and we play pretty good D for 8 seconds and then give up a 3 with 7 seconds left to tie the game. Almost every coach would foul with under10 seconds left before they could get the shot off. Ask Cal how he feels about this in hindsight.