2020-21 Atlantic 10 season

Anything and everything that is UMass Minutemen Basketball.
User avatar
InnervisionsUMASS
Hall of Fame
Posts: 15171
Joined: Fri Apr 04, 2003 1:32 am
Location: Milford, MA
Contact:

Re: 2020-21 Atlantic 10 season

Post by InnervisionsUMASS » Thu Feb 25, 2021 11:14 am

69MG wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 11:04 am ^ Jordair Jett joined the list of UMass killers that day. Everyone knew what was coming it seems, except the coaches and players.
The help D was there too, but they were so afraid to step in and cause a foul to put him on the line. UGH!
Stop waiting for UMass to do something big and help UMass do something big. - Shades

Floyd
Hall of Fame
Posts: 7273
Joined: Sun Apr 06, 2003 8:50 am
Location: Not where I should be

Re: 2020-21 Atlantic 10 season

Post by Floyd » Thu Feb 25, 2021 12:06 pm

69MG wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 11:04 am ^ Jordair Jett joined the list of UMass killers that day. Everyone knew what was coming it seems, except the coaches and players.

I went from happy to pissed in a second that day. Wow that sucked
The E sho, best show in town

User avatar
uz2b-len
Hall of Fame
Posts: 11447
Joined: Fri May 27, 2005 6:03 pm
Location: Deerfield, MA

Re: 2020-21 Atlantic 10 season

Post by uz2b-len » Thu Feb 25, 2021 12:20 pm

Steve81 wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 9:28 am That would take me way back to the last prior dance in the 90's after the lone 2014 appearance. Yes we lost to SLU in that one and done. Not being negative, just my expectations are show me. We need to beat SLU for the mojo and guarantee double bye. Then win a friggin game in the A10 tourney.
Oy, that one! That was all about the refs taking Lari Ketner out of his game. It's hard to win against the other team AND the refs.
"All credit to my teammates, all glory to God."-- Chaz Williams

User avatar
uz2b-len
Hall of Fame
Posts: 11447
Joined: Fri May 27, 2005 6:03 pm
Location: Deerfield, MA

Re: 2020-21 Atlantic 10 season

Post by uz2b-len » Thu Feb 25, 2021 12:23 pm

InnervisionsUMASS wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 11:14 am
69MG wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 11:04 am ^ Jordair Jett joined the list of UMass killers that day. Everyone knew what was coming it seems, except the coaches and players.
The help D was there too, but they were so afraid to step in and cause a foul to put him on the line. UGH!
The D was poorly set up from the get-go. Derrick Gordon was practically glued to him coming upcourt. What was the point of that? Of course Jett blew right by him.
"All credit to my teammates, all glory to God."-- Chaz Williams

harbo
Hall of Fame
Posts: 2210
Joined: Wed Apr 02, 2003 10:22 pm

Re: 2020-21 Atlantic 10 season

Post by harbo » Thu Feb 25, 2021 12:39 pm

Since the A-10 is using W/L percentages for seeding, it would have been nice if they had just played the GW game. It was a winnable game which would have helped our seeding (of course it was the Smith Center, though :x ), but I guess there were just too many questions of getting the necessary support personnel to the game in the shut-down city.

User avatar
InnervisionsUMASS
Hall of Fame
Posts: 15171
Joined: Fri Apr 04, 2003 1:32 am
Location: Milford, MA
Contact:

Re: 2020-21 Atlantic 10 season

Post by InnervisionsUMASS » Thu Feb 25, 2021 1:37 pm

uz2b-len wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 12:23 pm
InnervisionsUMASS wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 11:14 am
69MG wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 11:04 am ^ Jordair Jett joined the list of UMass killers that day. Everyone knew what was coming it seems, except the coaches and players.
The help D was there too, but they were so afraid to step in and cause a foul to put him on the line. UGH!
The D was poorly set up from the get-go. Derrick Gordon was practically glued to him coming upcourt. What was the point of that? Of course Jett blew right by him.

That's not quite how it played out as JJ didn't bring the ball up the court. DG face guarded him to try and prevent him from getting the ball. He was able to get it... DG backed off initially and then came up on him again. You see DG look to his right as a screen was coming up, but JJ blew by him on DG's left and he got a head of steam to the basket. The help was there, but didn't step in.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pjPu1GTm-p8
Stop waiting for UMass to do something big and help UMass do something big. - Shades

capezona
Hall of Fame
Posts: 2061
Joined: Thu Nov 13, 2014 9:59 pm
Location: Peoria, AZ and Dennisport, MA

Re: 2020-21 Atlantic 10 season

Post by capezona » Thu Feb 25, 2021 2:59 pm

If teams with the better record win for the rest of the season, then we will be in 4th place with a double-bye. Of course, that's a big "if."

User avatar
uz2b-len
Hall of Fame
Posts: 11447
Joined: Fri May 27, 2005 6:03 pm
Location: Deerfield, MA

Re: 2020-21 Atlantic 10 season

Post by uz2b-len » Thu Feb 25, 2021 3:15 pm

Are you counting us as a team with a better record? Just asking for a friend :D
edit: If all the home teams win, we'll finish 6th. If we can't beat SLU then we don't deserve the double-bye.

Mathematically, we can finish as high as second.
Last edited by uz2b-len on Thu Feb 25, 2021 4:50 pm, edited 3 times in total.
"All credit to my teammates, all glory to God."-- Chaz Williams

Floyd
Hall of Fame
Posts: 7273
Joined: Sun Apr 06, 2003 8:50 am
Location: Not where I should be

Re: 2020-21 Atlantic 10 season

Post by Floyd » Thu Feb 25, 2021 3:19 pm

^ :lol:

Those were fun games with Chaz running the team. Where was Put going on that drive by Jett?
The E sho, best show in town

capezona
Hall of Fame
Posts: 2061
Joined: Thu Nov 13, 2014 9:59 pm
Location: Peoria, AZ and Dennisport, MA

Re: 2020-21 Atlantic 10 season

Post by capezona » Thu Feb 25, 2021 3:57 pm

uz2b-len wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 3:15 pm Are you counting us as a team with a better record? Just asking for a friend :D

Mathematically, we can finish as high as second.
Overall record, yes, meaning we will lose to SLU and still be in 4th if everyone else does their part. SBU wins two (12-3), VCU wins one (11-3), Richmond wins two (8-3), UMass loses one (6-4), Davidson loses one (6-5), GMU wins one (8-6), Dayton loses one (8-8), SLU splits two (5-5), everything else is irrelevant.

PreecherJenkins
Senior
Posts: 945
Joined: Fri Dec 26, 2003 12:41 am

Re: 2020-21 Atlantic 10 season

Post by PreecherJenkins » Thu Feb 25, 2021 4:27 pm

InnervisionsUMASS wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 1:37 pm
uz2b-len wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 12:23 pm
InnervisionsUMASS wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 11:14 am

The help D was there too, but they were so afraid to step in and cause a foul to put him on the line. UGH!
The D was poorly set up from the get-go. Derrick Gordon was practically glued to him coming upcourt. What was the point of that? Of course Jett blew right by him.

That's not quite how it played out as JJ didn't bring the ball up the court. DG face guarded him to try and prevent him from getting the ball. He was able to get it... DG backed off initially and then came up on him again. You see DG look to his right as a screen was coming up, but JJ blew by him on DG's left and he got a head of steam to the basket. The help was there, but didn't step in.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pjPu1GTm-p8
DK's fault!

User avatar
InnervisionsUMASS
Hall of Fame
Posts: 15171
Joined: Fri Apr 04, 2003 1:32 am
Location: Milford, MA
Contact:

Re: 2020-21 Atlantic 10 season

Post by InnervisionsUMASS » Thu Feb 25, 2021 4:59 pm

^
haha, of course!!
Stop waiting for UMass to do something big and help UMass do something big. - Shades

User avatar
uz2b-len
Hall of Fame
Posts: 11447
Joined: Fri May 27, 2005 6:03 pm
Location: Deerfield, MA

Re: 2020-21 Atlantic 10 season

Post by uz2b-len » Thu Feb 25, 2021 5:10 pm

capezona wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 3:57 pm
uz2b-len wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 3:15 pm Are you counting us as a team with a better record? Just asking for a friend :D

Mathematically, we can finish as high as second.
Overall record, yes, meaning we will lose to SLU and still be in 4th if everyone else does their part. SBU wins two (12-3), VCU wins one (11-3), Richmond wins two (8-3), UMass loses one (6-4), Davidson loses one (6-5), GMU wins one (8-6), Dayton loses one (8-8), SLU splits two (5-5), everything else is irrelevant.
We need all that to happen? Isn't it enough just if SLU loses to Richmond and Davidson loses to VCU?
"All credit to my teammates, all glory to God."-- Chaz Williams

69MG
Hall of Fame
Posts: 9277
Joined: Sat Feb 05, 2011 11:07 pm
Location: Western Mass

Re: 2020-21 Atlantic 10 season

Post by 69MG » Thu Feb 25, 2021 5:45 pm

^ Yes. If we lose to SLU we will be 6-4.

If SLU loses to Richmond, the best they can finish is 5-5. If Davidson loses to VCU they will finish 6-5. Even if we lose to SLU, we will be 6-4 and ahead of these two. The only teams above us will be VCU, SBU and Richmond (who will be no worse than 7-4 if they beat SLU).

If SLU beats Richmond, we can still get in the top 4 if Richmond also loses to St. Joes.

Bottom line, beat SLU and we're in.

User avatar
MikeUMA
Site Admin
Posts: 10418
Joined: Tue Mar 11, 2003 11:11 pm
Location: Norwalk, CT
Contact:

Re: 2020-21 Atlantic 10 season

Post by MikeUMA » Fri Feb 26, 2021 10:39 am

Richmond +5 at SLU, ESPN2 at 7 Eastern

Post Reply