Are you nervous?

Anything and everything that is UMass Minutemen Basketball.
zuksnj
Junior

Are you nervous?

Post by zuksnj » Wed Feb 04, 2004 3:25 am

First of all, I'm enjoying this win streak and am looking forward to therest of the season an a-10 tourney, etc. However, I'm nervous that this late win streak is gonna give support for Lappas returing another year. As I see it, these are his recruits and deserves credit when they play well. However, how many here (long time umass fans) think that his players performing against the weaker teams should salvage his contract. Honestly, if he is the best man for the job then he should stay, but a guy who probably came here to BUILD HIS RESUME so he would eventually move, should not be the cornerstone of the B-Ball program. I like him, he's a nice guy, but I have not heard or seen one thing from him that says he can bring the program back to prominence. If he thinks so, the he should be much more public, as to say something to the fans and alumni about the poor performance that HE has put up so far. We are still under 500. Let's be critical!
And still heavyweight champ..Umass basketball!

Used to be VOR
Hall of Fame

Post by Used to be VOR » Wed Feb 04, 2004 6:19 am

Way to celebrate a win. Be careful, as with several other members of this board, you are showing that the success of the team is second to your own agenda. No UMass fan will ever root for his / her team to lose just so a set of events you want to happen down the road will occur. But I am actually glad you posted this, because at least you had the honesty to come out and say exactly what you feel. You would prefer to seem this team lose enough that Lappas would have to be fired. I think that is a crapy point of view, but at least you are open and honest about it.

It really is sad that a percentage of our fan base has chosen to root more for / against a coach then to root for the name on the front of the jersey.

VoxPop
Senior

Post by VoxPop » Wed Feb 04, 2004 7:38 am

Well said VOR.

This is the team that Lappas has built. These are his Freshman and Sophmore recruits (he wisely avoided the transfer trap his predecessor fell into) they are getting better and better with each game they play and there is still plenty of season left to enjoy. How about we support this young team, support the program and leave the Lappas haters to their misery as we make the drive for 5?

GREAT WIN !!!!!

LETS GO UMASS
!!!!!!

Used to be VOR
Hall of Fame

Post by Used to be VOR » Wed Feb 04, 2004 7:48 am

Vox,

I don't mean to disagree with you, but I think you are as much a source of the problem as the Lappas-haters. Every post you make seems to talk more about Lappas than the team or the game. The point I was trying to make is that I don't care who the coach is (during the season), I just root for them to win every game. That is my agenda, to have the Minutemen win every time they step on the floor. I just hate that the only discussions on this board are about coaching. I think everybodies position is very clear either pro or anti Lappas. And after the season is over then we can discuss that with some relevance. But for now, all this back and forth stuff is just ridiculous. Especially now that the team seems to be playing much better.

long time/first time
Junior

Post by long time/first time » Wed Feb 04, 2004 7:50 am

Used to be VOR wrote:Way to celebrate a win. Be careful, as with several other members of this board, you are showing that the success of the team is second to your own agenda. No UMass fan will ever root for his / her team to lose just so a set of events you want to happen down the road will occur. But I am actually glad you posted this, because at least you had the honesty to come out and say exactly what you feel. You would prefer to seem this team lose enough that Lappas would have to be fired. I think that is a crapy point of view, but at least you are open and honest about it.

It really is sad that a percentage of our fan base has chosen to root more for / against a coach then to root for the name on the front of the jersey.
Amen. Enjoy the current ride, fans- Go UMass!
Extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice.- Barry Goldwater

SignMan
Hall of Fame

Post by SignMan » Wed Feb 04, 2004 8:38 am

[quote="Used to be VOR"]Vox,

"I just root for them to win every game."

Use to Be, Was, Will Have Been, et al...

I AGREE!
It's time for all of our hoopie alums, fans, friends to show up for the Flyers
game and support the University of Massachusetts Minutemen; and, for at least one day, flush all the whining.

Maybe Thor can get Wilbur and Orville to do an overflight.

Fill the Bill, please...

nale
Hall of Fame

Re: Are you nervous?

Post by nale » Wed Feb 04, 2004 8:55 am

zuksnj wrote: Let's be critical!
You are absolutely right zuksnj this board has been much to easy on Lappas all season. :roll: :roll: :roll:

Thanks for the laugh.
"This is my dream job''

Hall of Fame

Post by 78 » Wed Feb 04, 2004 9:26 am

I am very nervous that this string of wins against mediocre teams will salvage at least one more year for Lappas and will mean that next year at this time this board will have the same exact tone and we will be hearing about young players, players who transferred, etc. etc. etc.

I am extremely happy for the players because you can be sure they are enjoying the four straight wins.

Here is the thing that pisses me off about the Lappas butt boys. They translate not liking the coach into not liking and supporting the players. That could not be farther from the truth for me and for many of those I know who do not support the coach. The fear that I and they have is that this coach will hang around and the program will continue to live in limbo land where the fans are happy with a .500 season.
Last edited by 78 on Wed Feb 04, 2004 9:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bamford has erased McCutcheon

twisters tavern
Junior

Post by twisters tavern » Wed Feb 04, 2004 9:29 am

Great win for the players. Yes this is great winning streak that will definitely build the confidence of the young guys. A good rotation has been found and it is working. We should be proud of their efforts and support them fully.

But, let's be serious, it was against Rider. Are the goals of this program to come up big and beat the likes of Rider, Vermont, Albany, and Marshall? Will a .500 season make us closer to being competitive with St. Joe's, Kentucky, Florida, and the other top notch programs we used to play and compete well with?

And, in regards to Lappas, I still do not think he is building this program to compete at the top level. Next year's recruits are nice players, but I seriously doubt they will put us over the top where we can start scheduling better competition instead of the above mentioned opponents of this year. We have every right to be both critical of Lappas and supportive of the players. Our criticism of the coaching staff does not take anything away from this win. I am just giving credit where credit is due.

GO UMASS!

drew
Freshman

Post by drew » Wed Feb 04, 2004 9:32 am

imagine if this team had a coach. great streak going! it doesnt get any easier from here. everyone should support the team no matter what. hopefully the crowds will come and give them a boost down the stretch. no matter how we finish i still think the the search committe should be forming

bdance
Junior

Post by bdance » Wed Feb 04, 2004 9:44 am

twisters tavern wrote: But, let's be serious, it was against Rider. Are the goals of this program to come up big and beat the likes of Rider, Vermont, Albany, and Marshall?
For this season, yes the goals were to beat these teams, and stay competitive with the bigger guns. And he was failing at those modest goals until a couple of weeks ago. Better late than never. He's still not out of the woods, let's see how the rest of the season plays out. But you have to start somewhere and at least we can say 'maybe this is the start'. With an emphasis on 'maybe'.

The late start and injuries should not be used as an excuse to schedule another lightweight non-conference schedule next season. That would be my number one concern.

isithow?
Junior

Post by isithow? » Wed Feb 04, 2004 9:57 am

Again I must post, this is just the work of the players that has helped us this past 4 games, they've done all the tape research, ran the practices thenselves, each one did their own scouting reports for Temple, URI, Fordham, and Rider. The coahces have just sat around in their houses drinking wine all day and revelling in the fact that they have to do nothing. PLEASE GIVE IT A BREAK. I mean sure the team hasn't lived up to the expectations that ONLY the fan base had for the season. Things happen, no matter how much you don't want to believe it it's hard to make a transition from High School to College Ball, you can all jump on me, but if you don't believe so why not go ask someone like Ajou Ajou Deng, and numerous others. Congrats to UMass for the recent great play, and to the COACHING STAFF for being a part of it as well. I find it ironic that crappy teams like the Bonnies, Duquesne,and URI have a bigger fan base than here at UMASS, it really says something about the attitiude of the fans in this area.

twisters tavern
Junior

Post by twisters tavern » Wed Feb 04, 2004 10:08 am

[/quote] find it ironic that crappy teams like the Bonnies, Duquesne,and URI have a bigger fan base than here at UMASS, it really says something about the attitiude of the fans in this area.

Yea, they have better head coaches as well. Sarcasm has its limits.

How can you just let the last 2+ seasons results go by without being critical of the coaching staff? Since you are new to this board, what is your take on the losses to CCSU, Hartford, Duquesne, and St. Bonnie's, team we should have beaten?

I am also curious to know whether you think we should schedule weak OOC teams so that Lappas can hopefully get wins and save his sorry ass?

We are still way under .500 and have upcoming games against teams that would probably smoke the four teams we have just beaten. What will be you and Lappas' excuse then? The 4 game winning streak took a lot out of us?

UMass87
Hall of Fame

Post by UMass87 » Wed Feb 04, 2004 10:09 am

I must admit that I don't get how anyone on this board could not want UMass to win. If this team keeps winning then Lappas will have proven many of his critics, like me, wrong. Good for him - and more important - good for UMass.

twisters tavern
Junior

Post by twisters tavern » Wed Feb 04, 2004 10:16 am

I do want the players to win as many games as possible. I just want to hold Lappas accountable for the horrible losses the team has incurred the pat 2+ seasons. I also want to bring in a coach that will help these players win a ton more games than Lappas has.

Once again, what is wrong with indentifying the positive steps the players are taking and support them, while also criticizing the coaching staff for past poor performances and for a lack of vision for the future?