Which (likely) returning playing will improve his game the most next year (2020-21)? Pick 2

Anything and everything that is UMass Minutemen Basketball.

Which (likely) returning playing will improve his game the most next year (2020-21)? Pick 2

Poll ended at Tue Mar 24, 2020 4:17 pm

Buggs
2%
Diallo
5%
East
18%
K. Mitchell
7%
T. Mitchell
7%
Pierre
7%
Santos
16%
Walker
31%
Weeks
5%

Total votes: 55

Floyd
Hall of Fame

Re: Which (likely) returning playing will improve his game the most next year (2020-21)? Pick 2

Post by Floyd » Thu Mar 26, 2020 2:48 pm

natwam2547 wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 2:28 pm
^If you're referring to Santos, I think he's got a cleaner path to a future with the chemistry with the Woodstock kids and TB in his corner.
Ya, exactly
The E sho, best show in town

DanaDingle3
Freshman

Re: Which (likely) returning playing will improve his game the most next year (2020-21)? Pick 2

Post by DanaDingle3 » Thu Mar 26, 2020 2:55 pm

Why so salty, Floyd?

SAs transfer all the time. Most, if not all, of us aren't privy to the expectations and communications regarding each guy.

The key is really transparency, and I have no reason to believe the current staff isn't completely transparent with each person.

DoctorJ
Hall of Fame

Post by DoctorJ » Thu Mar 26, 2020 3:00 pm

^ I agree
Refuse To Lose!!!

Floyd
Hall of Fame

Post by Floyd » Thu Mar 26, 2020 3:19 pm

I can have my opinion can't I? Personally I think it sends a pretty shitty message to a kid who comes in as a freshman, plays a ton, contributes a lot, and has a pretty good upside, but gets shown the door after 1 season. And I don't believe that he wouldn't see any time. Why bring in so many kids last year if you're not sure you can develop them, just save the scholarships, you rarely play em all anyway. Fill the last few with walkons. Another 1/3+ turnover rate. Great culture

DoctorJ
Hall of Fame

Post by DoctorJ » Thu Mar 26, 2020 3:28 pm

Santos will surely be a huge factor in our wins next year.
Refuse To Lose!!!

NilesGold
Hall of Fame

Post by NilesGold » Thu Mar 26, 2020 3:46 pm

Floyd wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 3:19 pm
I can have my opinion can't I? Personally I think it sends a pretty shitty message to a kid who comes in as a freshman, plays a ton, contributes a lot, and has a pretty good upside, but gets shown the door after 1 season. And I don't believe that he wouldn't see any time. Why bring in so many kids last year if you're not sure you can develop them, just save the scholarships, you rarely play em all anyway. Fill the last few with walkons. Another 1/3+ turnover rate. Great culture
You're certainly entitled to your opinion, but we're entitled to disagree with it.

We don't know the specifics of Sean's transfer, and I think this is a situation where the devil is in the details. If the staff was transparent with the players about promises/expectations/anticipated roles, etc, both when they recruited them, and again during every offseason, then what is there to be so upset about if some of the players decide on their own that they want to transfer out? Now, if someone tells me that wasn't what happened here, that could change my opinion about this.

Floyd
Hall of Fame

Post by Floyd » Thu Mar 26, 2020 6:00 pm

^ wasn't responding to you, but thanks for setting me straight

Old Cage
Hall of Fame

Post by Old Cage » Thu Mar 26, 2020 6:50 pm

NilesGold wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 3:46 pm
Now, if someone tells me that wasn't what happened here, that could change my opinion about this.
Isn't that what Sean's tweet told you?
"Jack didn’t have any envy in him," Calipari said. "He was the greatest coach to ever coach here."

uz2b-len
Hall of Fame

Post by uz2b-len » Thu Mar 26, 2020 7:28 pm

Juice Stand wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 2:34 pm
I could see him as a 6th man instead of a starter in a scenario where Weeks is totally healthy and ready to contribute from day one. With a starting PG (Garcia? Kolton?), Weeks and Pierre, Tre, and McCall loves Diallo (which is fine by the way. Offensively limited, but a bear on defense, can rebound, and will be a junior), Santos would be a great first guy off the bench. Minutes will be hard to earn next year for sure. The talent level keeps ratcheting up.
I thought McCall's proposed starting line-up for Brooklyn was pretty interesting, not including Pierre or Diallo. Personally, I don't think Carl will start a lot of games or get a lot of minutes if he doesn't get his three point percentage back up to the high thirties, at least. Otherwise, Santos is far more valuable on the court. Likewise Diallo. He can do a lot on the court but he's not a good finisher. Again, personally, I think Walker can contribute a lot more. The thing about Pierre and Diallo is it's really hard to win when you have two starters who can't even average ten points between them. Plus your super-star can't be too pleased about it, either.
"All credit to my teammates, all glory to God."-- Chaz Williams

NilesGold
Hall of Fame

Post by NilesGold » Fri Mar 27, 2020 7:46 am

Old Cage wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 6:50 pm
NilesGold wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 3:46 pm
Now, if someone tells me that wasn't what happened here, that could change my opinion about this.
Isn't that what Sean's tweet told you?
You mean the one where he used a line from the movie Friday? Yeah, as I said before (possibly in another thread) - we don't know for sure what happened.

Juice Stand
Senior

Post by Juice Stand » Fri Mar 27, 2020 8:44 am

uz2b-len wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 7:28 pm
Juice Stand wrote:
I could see him as a 6th man instead of a starter in a scenario where Weeks is totally healthy and ready to contribute from day one. With a starting PG (Garcia? Kolton?), Weeks and Pierre, Tre, and McCall loves Diallo (which is fine by the way. Offensively limited, but a bear on defense, can rebound, and will be a junior), Santos would be a great first guy off the bench. Minutes will be hard to earn next year for sure. The talent level keeps ratcheting up.
I thought McCall's proposed starting line-up for Brooklyn was pretty interesting, not including Pierre or Diallo. Personally, I don't think Carl will start a lot of games or get a lot of minutes if he doesn't get his three point percentage back up to the high thirties, at least. Otherwise, Santos is far more valuable on the court. Likewise Diallo. He can do a lot on the court but he's not a good finisher. Again, personally, I think Walker can contribute a lot more. The thing about Pierre and Diallo is it's really hard to win when you have two starters who can't even average ten points between them. Plus your super-star can't be too pleased about it, either.
Interesting, I didn't know that he shook up the lineup heading into the tournament game. A page out of DK's playbook (didn't he shuffle the starting lineup prior to the '13 NCAA tourney game?) I'm shocked, quite honestly, that he didn't have Pierre starting. Pierre is and has been his guy. I think Carl will be in the starting rotation to start the season, as a senior and team leader he should be, but I agree that he could lose his starting role if he doesn't shoot well.

InnervisionsUMASS
Hall of Fame

Post by InnervisionsUMASS » Fri Mar 27, 2020 9:01 am

Juice Stand wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 8:44 am

Interesting, I didn't know that he shook up the lineup heading into the tournament game. A page out of DK's playbook (didn't he shuffle the starting lineup prior to the '13 NCAA tourney game?)

Per the ESPN Box Score, we started Chaz, Gordon, Cady, Samp and Maxie. I think Putney started most if not all year so I think you're right.
Stop waiting for UMass to do something big and help UMass do something big. - Shades

capezona
Senior

Post by capezona » Fri Mar 27, 2020 11:25 am

^ I remember after the game that Maxie said he was kind of embarrassed starting ahead of Putney.

UMassfan_19
Junior

Post by UMassfan_19 » Fri Mar 27, 2020 4:44 pm

Juice Stand wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 8:44 am
uz2b-len wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 7:28 pm
Juice Stand wrote:
Interesting, I didn't know that he shook up the lineup heading into the tournament game. A page out of DK's playbook (didn't he shuffle the starting lineup prior to the '13 NCAA tourney game?) I'm shocked, quite honestly, that he didn't have Pierre starting. Pierre is and has been his guy. I think Carl will be in the starting rotation to start the season, as a senior and team leader he should be, but I agree that he could lose his starting role if he doesn't shoot well.
I could see Carl and samba starting to set the right energy similar to how kolton started but didn’t play more minutes than Sean