19-20 Season recap

Anything and everything that is UMass Minutemen Basketball.
Floyd
Hall of Fame

19-20 Season recap

Post by Floyd » Sun Mar 08, 2020 9:25 am

Although the record isn't maybe what we want it to be, have to give this team major respect for the way they played this season, their effort and work ethic, and how they all stick together for each other. Been a rocky few years, but this season, for me anyways, was enjoyable to follow and root for. Great bunch of kids, staff has made great strides with them, as we've all seen they can play with anyone in this league. For a team with so many newcomers and freshman they represented UMass well.

I'm excited to see this team grow and build into a league power. Looking forward to TJ and JBuggs coming back 100% next year, and the new additions.

Lets rip off a few wins in Brooklyn
The E sho, best show in town

KahunaK
Junior

Re: 19-20 Season recap

Post by KahunaK » Sun Mar 08, 2020 10:35 am

Took some heat from my comment below after the loss at George Mason. A team dominated by freshmen will have ups and downs. I think the team has a bright future and and may cause some noise in Brooklyn.

"Just got home from the game. It is the first game I've seen them play this year. Had great seats behind the UMASS bench.

Based on what I have read on this board, I had very low expectations. I left, however, fairly optimistic. The seem to be a better than their record indicates."

fenway617
Hall of Fame

Post by fenway617 » Mon Mar 09, 2020 12:34 pm

14-17 with some very winnable games that were losses.They played their best basketball down the stretch which has not been said in like over a decade. Each season you can do this exercise but their record could easily been 18-13. Four losses either came in OT (StL/Yale) or lost in the final minutes (URI/SC) one more play in any of these games and it could have flipped to the W column. They also were in the game vs Virginia, down eight with 8 min left and same with the ST. Johns game where UM lead most of the 2nd half and were down one score with 4 min left.

The schedule was also tough for a young team with Dayton twice, and based on most Bracketology seven teams should make the tourney that UM played this season.

It would be great to get a W on Thursday and roll the dice Friday vs. Dayton. But either way 20/21 is looking like it could be a great season!
A smart person learns from his mistakes, but a truly wise person learns from the mistakes of others.

jrdupe
Junior

Post by jrdupe » Mon Mar 09, 2020 12:52 pm

Floyd wrote:
Sun Mar 08, 2020 9:25 am
Although the record isn't maybe what we want it to be, have to give this team major respect for the way they played this season, their effort and work ethic, and how they all stick together for each other. Been a rocky few years, but this season, for me anyways, was enjoyable to follow and root for. Great bunch of kids, staff has made great strides with them, as we've all seen they can play with anyone in this league. For a team with so many newcomers and freshman they represented UMass well.

I'm excited to see this team grow and build into a league power. Looking forward to TJ and JBuggs coming back 100% next year, and the new additions.

if we "rip off a couple" that means we will have beaten VCU and Dayton...at that point I will be disappointed if we don't win the A-10 tourney.

MJatUM
Hall of Fame

Post by MJatUM » Mon Mar 09, 2020 12:57 pm

^ Our conference schedule was brutal.... We got ONE break - VCU at home. I guess Duquesne at home too? But they didn't even really have a home this year. Anyway we got: Dayton twice, URI twice, SLU twice - the 1,3,4 teams in conference. @ Richmond (#2), @ Bona (#6), @ Davidson (#7). We did also get La Salle and Mason twice (3-1) so that's nice, I guess.

No matter what happens in Brooklyn the team will end the season with positive momentum towards next season. In addition to some impact freshmen, we will be getting back our first two guys off the bench, one of which was OUR LEADING SCORER (at the time of his injury) as RS Freshmen.

Floyd
Hall of Fame

Post by Floyd » Mon Mar 09, 2020 1:09 pm

jrdupe wrote:
Mon Mar 09, 2020 12:52 pm
Floyd wrote:
Sun Mar 08, 2020 9:25 am

if we "rip off a couple" that means we will have beaten VCU and Dayton...at that point I will be disappointed if we don't win the A-10 tourney.
I certainly wouldn't be disappointed if we somehow beat VCU and Dayton, but I understand your point

eldonabe
Hall of Fame

Post by eldonabe » Mon Mar 09, 2020 1:19 pm

This is an easy one....

It was a good season.
In Matt McCall I trust!

NilesGold
Hall of Fame

Post by NilesGold » Mon Mar 09, 2020 1:55 pm

eldonabe wrote:
Mon Mar 09, 2020 1:19 pm
This is an easy one....

It was a good season.
We agree!

InnervisionsUMASS
Hall of Fame

Post by InnervisionsUMASS » Mon Mar 09, 2020 2:28 pm

It was an improved season, which is what I expected and glad to see finally came to fruition under McCall. Hard for me to call it a "good season" when it is likely to still finish under-500 (that's not a shot at anyone here... to each their own how they view this), but there is a ton to be happy with and excited about moving forward. I think they will make a very big jump next year. Tre another year in, getting TJ back, great leadership from Carl (and hopefully some better shooting), Garcia coming in, some smarter play from East. The future is bright.
Stop waiting for UMass to do something big and help UMass do something big. - Shades

uz2b-len
Hall of Fame

Post by uz2b-len » Mon Mar 09, 2020 2:46 pm

What amazes me is that the majority of posts on the 2019-2020 prediction thread anticipated an 8-10 conference record.
"All credit to my teammates, all glory to God."-- Chaz Williams

Plano Minuteman
Junior

Post by Plano Minuteman » Mon Mar 09, 2020 4:26 pm

uz2b-len wrote:
Mon Mar 09, 2020 2:46 pm
What amazes me is that the majority of posts on the 2019-2020 prediction thread anticipated an 8-10 conference record.
What would the conference record predictions look like if we knew TJ was going to be out?

I loved the strong finish, haven't seen them finish particularly strong in a good number of years. Definitely things are looking up!

Acer71
Freshman

Post by Acer71 » Mon Mar 09, 2020 4:43 pm

I am pleased with team chemistry and the improvement in players on the court. Overall considering that we had our top scorer out, point guards hurt and out, experienced forward quit team, and finally our defensive big hurt, we did damn well!
I'm looking forward to next season and will definitely renew my season tickets!

LS71
Hall of Fame

Post by LS71 » Mon Mar 09, 2020 6:34 pm

Before the season started i said that I was less concerned with the number of wins than I was with the way they played and that I wanted to see the team improve as season progressed.

That said, it's been the best season in recent memory, and it's not over yet. 8)
"Win without boasting, lose without crying." -- Julius Erving

Floyd
Hall of Fame

Post by Floyd » Mon Mar 09, 2020 6:58 pm

It's just a different feel for the program. It feels more like a team than it has in the past few years, and a more positive vibe. Actually looking forward to next year already

bobolink
Junior

Post by bobolink » Mon Mar 09, 2020 7:53 pm

For sure it was/is a good season. Too early to say about next year, given we don't know who will be on the team, what the schedule will be, etc. But optimism for next season is the highest it's been for good reasons, given we just finished the A-10 regular season with our best record in 5 years while playing mostly freshman, we have a superstar we haven't seen the likes of in a very long time, and expect a star injured player to play much more next year. Coaching seems improved, and recruiting sounds like it's going well.

Plenty (too much) time to talk about these things when this season ends.