Game 29, 2019-20: at Richmond (2/29)

Anything and everything that is UMass Minutemen Basketball.
User avatar
uz2b-len
Hall of Fame
Posts: 11205
Joined: Fri May 27, 2005 6:03 pm
Location: Deerfield, MA

Re: Game 29, 2019-20: at Richmond (2/29)

Post by uz2b-len » Sun Mar 01, 2020 3:32 pm

Jackson96 wrote:
Sun Mar 01, 2020 8:44 am
Saw Bamford called out the team a little bit on Twitter. Not really in love with that that move (unless McCall asked him too which would be a little odd).
Ryan Bamford

@UMassADBamford
·
19h


Simply not a good effort tonight for
@UMassBasketball
.

Richmond is a talented & experienced NCAA Tourn team - and hard to beat at home - but we didn’t come to play. Have to bring it EVERY NIGHT.

Big week coming up to finish the regular season...

On to LaSalle!

#Flagship
"All credit to my teammates, all glory to God."-- Chaz Williams

User avatar
LS71
Hall of Fame
Posts: 6796
Joined: Wed Apr 02, 2003 8:55 pm
Location: Lost in Space

Re: Game 29, 2019-20: at Richmond (2/29)

Post by LS71 » Sun Mar 01, 2020 4:34 pm

I wasn’t able to see or hear any of the game last night.

After beating VCU I was hoping for them to win 2 of their last 3. I felt that a win at LaSalle was far more achievable that a win at Richmond. Nothing’s changed. If they can win there, a senior night win against URIne is doable.
"Win without boasting, lose without crying." -- Julius Erving

UMassfan_19
Junior
Posts: 517
Joined: Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:03 pm

Re: Game 29, 2019-20: at Richmond (2/29)

Post by UMassfan_19 » Sun Mar 01, 2020 4:34 pm

uz2b-len wrote:
Sun Mar 01, 2020 3:32 pm
Jackson96 wrote:
Sun Mar 01, 2020 8:44 am
Saw Bamford called out the team a little bit on Twitter. Not really in love with that that move (unless McCall asked him too which would be a little odd).
Ryan Bamford

@UMassADBamford
·
19h


Simply not a good effort tonight for
@UMassBasketball
.

Richmond is a talented & experienced NCAA Tourn team - and hard to beat at home - but we didn’t come to play. Have to bring it EVERY NIGHT.

Big week coming up to finish the regular season...

On to LaSalle!

#Flagship
He has been doing with hockey as well

Floyd
Hall of Fame
Posts: 6865
Joined: Sun Apr 06, 2003 8:50 am
Location: Not where I should be

Re: Game 29, 2019-20: at Richmond (2/29)

Post by Floyd » Sun Mar 01, 2020 6:19 pm

NilesGold wrote:
Sun Mar 01, 2020 7:33 am
Floyd wrote:
Sat Feb 29, 2020 8:03 pm
Didn't see any of this but can someone quickly recap why the blowout? We just not play well or they that good?
UMass was off their game in every aspect, and UR was on their game. UMass' shots weren't falling, ones they often make. UMass' defense wasn't good, but UR also made tough shots. Just a complete mess for UMass, very reminiscent of the Davidson game earlier this year.

UMass just needs to learn from this and focus on the next game.
Yeah, I agree. Just forget it and move on. Its gonna happen with a team of mostly underclassmen from time to time
The E sho, best show in town

User avatar
LS71
Hall of Fame
Posts: 6796
Joined: Wed Apr 02, 2003 8:55 pm
Location: Lost in Space

Re: Game 29, 2019-20: at Richmond (2/29)

Post by LS71 » Sun Mar 01, 2020 6:21 pm

Was anyone on this board actually expecting UMass to win last night?
"Win without boasting, lose without crying." -- Julius Erving

JoleonLescottsHair
Senior
Posts: 1943
Joined: Thu Feb 20, 2014 11:17 pm
Location: Cuticle, Cortex and Medulla

Re: Game 29, 2019-20: at Richmond (2/29)

Post by JoleonLescottsHair » Sun Mar 01, 2020 6:40 pm

LS71 wrote:
Sun Mar 01, 2020 6:21 pm
Was anyone on this board actually expecting UMass to win last night?
I wasn’t expecting it, but did imagine and offer a scenario where I thought it was possible. Obviously I was very wrong. I remain encouraged by their recent play, however.

PreecherJenkins
Senior
Posts: 863
Joined: Fri Dec 26, 2003 12:41 am

Re: Game 29, 2019-20: at Richmond (2/29)

Post by PreecherJenkins » Sun Mar 01, 2020 7:19 pm

Ryan Bamford

@UMassADBamford
·
19h


Simply not a good effort tonight for
@UMassBasketball
.

Richmond is a talented & experienced NCAA Tourn team - and hard to beat at home - but we didn’t come to play. Have to bring it EVERY NIGHT.

Big week coming up to finish the regular season...

On to LaSalle!

#Flagship

experienced NCAA tourney team? they have not been to a tourney since 2011.

Who's fault is it they did not come to play at richmond or at davidson or at dayton? Matt McCall?

Kelz626
Junior
Posts: 401
Joined: Wed Oct 07, 2015 11:07 am

Re: Game 29, 2019-20: at Richmond (2/29)

Post by Kelz626 » Sun Mar 01, 2020 7:23 pm

PreecherJenkins wrote:
Sun Mar 01, 2020 7:19 pm
Ryan Bamford

@UMassADBamford
·
19h


Simply not a good effort tonight for
@UMassBasketball
.

Richmond is a talented & experienced NCAA Tourn team - and hard to beat at home - but we didn’t come to play. Have to bring it EVERY NIGHT.

Big week coming up to finish the regular season...

On to LaSalle!

#Flagship

experienced NCAA tourney team? they have not been to a tourney since 2011.

Who's fault is it they did not come to play at richmond or at davidson or at dayton? Matt McCall?
Seeing as this is the third straight year this has happened and the roster has pretty much been different each year I would say yes it’s McCall’s fault

User avatar
LS71
Hall of Fame
Posts: 6796
Joined: Wed Apr 02, 2003 8:55 pm
Location: Lost in Space

Re: Game 29, 2019-20: at Richmond (2/29)

Post by LS71 » Sun Mar 01, 2020 7:56 pm

JoleonLescottsHair wrote:
Sun Mar 01, 2020 6:40 pm
LS71 wrote:
Sun Mar 01, 2020 6:21 pm
Was anyone on this board actually expecting UMass to win last night?
I wasn’t expecting it, but did imagine and offer a scenario where I thought it was possible. Obviously I was very wrong. I remain encouraged by their recent play, however.
Me too.

I certainly hoped for a closer game, but strong showing ...read win...at LaSalle will ease the pain considerably and set the stage for a big W on Senior Night.
"Win without boasting, lose without crying." -- Julius Erving

User avatar
Old Cage
Hall of Fame
Posts: 5921
Joined: Tue Apr 01, 2003 8:49 pm
Location: The Eastern Provinces

Re: Game 29, 2019-20: at Richmond (2/29)

Post by Old Cage » Sun Mar 01, 2020 9:25 pm

UMassfan_19 wrote:
Sun Mar 01, 2020 4:34 pm
He has been doing with hockey as well
Is that statement correct? Carvy does it regularly with his hockey players, but I have not noticed Bamford doing it with hockey.

Anyone?
"Jack didn’t have any envy in him," Calipari said. "He was the greatest coach to ever coach here."

rayers
Senior
Posts: 1280
Joined: Thu Apr 17, 2003 10:57 pm

Re: Game 29, 2019-20: at Richmond (2/29)

Post by rayers » Mon Mar 02, 2020 12:16 am

It just wasn’t a good effort. These guys still don’t understand how tough and competitive they need to be to compete consistently at this level. They bring it in spurts but not every night like they need to be a top program.

User avatar
InnervisionsUMASS
Hall of Fame
Posts: 14804
Joined: Fri Apr 04, 2003 1:32 am
Location: Milford, MA
Contact:

Re: Game 29, 2019-20: at Richmond (2/29)

Post by InnervisionsUMASS » Mon Mar 02, 2020 11:05 am

My viewing experience was once again via cell phone, but it didn't look like McCall did much different from what he was doing the last few games. Maybe could have used the press even less but other than that, I think this one was on the players. Maybe they got a bit big headed? I don't know. It turned ugly quickly and that was that.... onto LaSalle!
Stop waiting for UMass to do something big and help UMass do something big. - Shades

User avatar
MJatUM
Hall of Fame
Posts: 4408
Joined: Wed Mar 12, 2008 9:46 pm
Location: Attleboro

Re: Game 29, 2019-20: at Richmond (2/29)

Post by MJatUM » Mon Mar 02, 2020 12:20 pm

NilesGold wrote:
Sun Mar 01, 2020 7:33 am
Floyd wrote:
Sat Feb 29, 2020 8:03 pm
Didn't see any of this but can someone quickly recap why the blowout? We just not play well or they that good?
UMass was off their game in every aspect, and UR was on their game. UMass' shots weren't falling, ones they often make. UMass' defense wasn't good, but UR also made tough shots. Just a complete mess for UMass, very reminiscent of the Davidson game earlier this year.

UMass just needs to learn from this and focus on the next game.
I would say with pretty strong confidence that 80%+ of Richmond's shots in the first half were uncontested. I can't speak to their looks in the second half because I didn't have the stomach to watch it. IN MY OPINION it was a combination of three factors:

First and foremost, youth. Especially against these teams with constant motion on offense (Davidson being the other one) the youth really shows and I think they way overthink on defense and get confused and out of position. Second - effort. Particularly when Richmond got rolling and our shots weren't falling I felt like the wind was totally out of our sails. Third and maybe most importantly, Richmond is just better. They were 11 point favorites for a reason. They are a better team, at home, fighting to get into the tournament.

An ugly game that was due to pop up. If it happens again Wednesday I will panic. I was hopeful it would go better but in a season of low expectations, I can't really bitch too much when we get walloped on the road by one of the best teams in the conference.

Post Reply