Game 25, 2019-20: Dayton (2/15)

Anything and everything that is UMass Minutemen Basketball.
User avatar
LS71
Hall of Fame
Posts: 6788
Joined: Wed Apr 02, 2003 8:55 pm
Location: Lost in Space

Re: Game 25, 2019-20: Dayton (2/15)

Post by LS71 » Mon Feb 17, 2020 12:49 pm

I actually do agree with MM. UMass had sooooo many opportunities that they didn't cash in....especially off the turnovers they created; seemed like our bunnies rolled out while theirs rolled in. Those four FTs Kolton missed certainly didn't help either. I'm not down on him...it looked like his hand was bothering him...he went tot the sideline....got it sprayed with a painkiller perhaps?

Crutcher was the difference in this one. Our guys are to be commended for their effort... a couple of breaks and the game could have been a win.

Love to see them carry the energy over to tomorrow nights game and beat St. Loo.
"Win without boasting, lose without crying." -- Julius Erving

69MG
Hall of Fame
Posts: 8632
Joined: Sat Feb 05, 2011 11:07 pm
Location: Western Mass

Re: Game 25, 2019-20: Dayton (2/15)

Post by 69MG » Mon Feb 17, 2020 1:02 pm

^ I also agree with MM. All 3 of Santos threes were wide open and he was 0-3. Carl had 4 wide open 3s and missed them all. We also screwed up a fast break and Djery missed an almost uncontested layup which he should have dunked. We left a lot of points on the table.

Worcester_To_Amherst
Junior
Posts: 407
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 1:02 pm

Re: Game 25, 2019-20: Dayton (2/15)

Post by Worcester_To_Amherst » Mon Feb 17, 2020 2:29 pm

I thought the Djery missed layup turned momentum back to Dayton. It would have made it a one point game, but instead they went on a run and pushed the lead to around 15.

TheInsider
Hall of Fame
Posts: 3401
Joined: Wed Apr 23, 2003 9:12 am

Re: Game 25, 2019-20: Dayton (2/15)

Post by TheInsider » Mon Feb 17, 2020 4:45 pm

baseline47 wrote:
Mon Feb 17, 2020 11:24 am
I thought Dayton's defense carried the day for them. I disagree with McCall's assessment that good "looks" were there, but we didn't make the shots. Maybe do more (in the offense) to free up our catch and shooters (i.e. Carl Pierre)?

Tre Mitchell appears to be our only player who can consistently create a shot for himself. Best UMass post player since Camby?
I'm pretty sure no post player has been this good as a freshman since Camby. As a matter of fact I dont know of a freshman this polished and this consitant since those years.

User avatar
InnervisionsUMASS
Hall of Fame
Posts: 14768
Joined: Fri Apr 04, 2003 1:32 am
Location: Milford, MA
Contact:

Re: Game 25, 2019-20: Dayton (2/15)

Post by InnervisionsUMASS » Mon Feb 17, 2020 4:54 pm

Freeman averaged 15.4 points and 8.5 rebounds per game as a Freshman, shooting 54.9 percent (173 of 315) of his field goal attempts.


Took that from his bio on the UMass website.


Camby averaged 10.2, but obviously played less than Freeman. The time on the court skews things, but one could argue Freeman was a better freshman than Camby. Obviously he did not have a better overall career.


Mitchell is currently at 16.6ppg and 6.3rpg.
Stop waiting for UMass to do something big and help UMass do something big. - Shades

TheInsider
Hall of Fame
Posts: 3401
Joined: Wed Apr 23, 2003 9:12 am

Re: Game 25, 2019-20: Dayton (2/15)

Post by TheInsider » Mon Feb 17, 2020 5:22 pm

The comparison with Freeman is a good one. Both bigger bodies and under the rim type guys. I think Tre is ahead of Freeman at this point and is gonna score a ton of points.

Floyd
Hall of Fame
Posts: 6839
Joined: Sun Apr 06, 2003 8:50 am
Location: Not where I should be

Re: Game 25, 2019-20: Dayton (2/15)

Post by Floyd » Mon Feb 17, 2020 5:32 pm

Just need to find a Lasme to pair up with Tre like Freeman had. Those 2 were good together
The E sho, best show in town

minutefanjsf
Senior
Posts: 1726
Joined: Mon Apr 25, 2016 9:17 am

Re: Game 25, 2019-20: Dayton (2/15)

Post by minutefanjsf » Mon Feb 17, 2020 5:39 pm

Floyd wrote:
Mon Feb 17, 2020 5:32 pm
Just need to find a Lasme to pair up with Tre like Freeman had. Those 2 were good together
Santos or Diallo can play a defensive stopper role. Lasme was a freak due to his age. Real hard to get someone that size early in a career.

User avatar
natwam2547
Senior
Posts: 1611
Joined: Fri Mar 15, 2013 11:31 pm

Re: Game 25, 2019-20: Dayton (2/15)

Post by natwam2547 » Tue Feb 18, 2020 10:01 am

For a University with the enrollment the size of Umass, the "long weekend, students were probably gone" excuse doesn't hold much water with me. I also think it's obvious Keon has let the staff know he won't be around next year, which is why Umass is recruiting the way they are and why Keon's minutes have gone down. Not as a punishment, but why not see what you have in the young guys who most likely will be back next year?

UMassfan_19
Junior
Posts: 513
Joined: Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:03 pm

Re: Game 25, 2019-20: Dayton (2/15)

Post by UMassfan_19 » Tue Feb 18, 2020 10:08 am

natwam2547 wrote:
Tue Feb 18, 2020 10:01 am
For a University with the enrollment the size of Umass, the "long weekend, students were probably gone" excuse doesn't hold much water with me. I also think it's obvious Keon has let the staff know he won't be around next year, which is why Umass is recruiting the way they are and why Keon's minutes have gone down. Not as a punishment, but why not see what you have in the young guys who most likely will be back next year?
Keon also doesn’t look 100% to me

User avatar
LS71
Hall of Fame
Posts: 6788
Joined: Wed Apr 02, 2003 8:55 pm
Location: Lost in Space

Re: Game 25, 2019-20: Dayton (2/15)

Post by LS71 » Tue Feb 18, 2020 10:21 am

^^ Fans in general and UMass fans in particular, tend to be of the are bandwagon variety...if/when the team wins they will come.

Seems to me that MM has his rotation: Tre, Carl, Kolton, Samba, Preston, Sean, Dibaji and Djery.

Does that mean Keon and CJ are gone? We'll see...
"Win without boasting, lose without crying." -- Julius Erving

Floyd
Hall of Fame
Posts: 6839
Joined: Sun Apr 06, 2003 8:50 am
Location: Not where I should be

Re: Game 25, 2019-20: Dayton (2/15)

Post by Floyd » Tue Feb 18, 2020 11:33 am

12:30 game too tho. Lots of kids still hittin the snooze button most likely. Can't imagine too many kids are eating breakfast before noon on weekends
The E sho, best show in town

inthescoop
Hall of Fame
Posts: 3014
Joined: Sun Sep 25, 2011 7:40 pm
Location: NYC

Re: Game 25, 2019-20: Dayton (2/15)

Post by inthescoop » Tue Feb 18, 2020 11:37 am

TheInsider wrote:
Mon Feb 17, 2020 5:22 pm
The comparison with Freeman is a good one. Both bigger bodies and under the rim type guys. I think Tre is ahead of Freeman at this point and is gonna score a ton of points.
I also like the comparison of Tre to Izzy Freeman.

User avatar
natwam2547
Senior
Posts: 1611
Joined: Fri Mar 15, 2013 11:31 pm

Re: Game 25, 2019-20: Dayton (2/15)

Post by natwam2547 » Tue Feb 18, 2020 3:32 pm

LS71 wrote:
Tue Feb 18, 2020 10:21 am
^^ Fans in general and UMass fans in particular, tend to be of the are bandwagon variety...if/when the team wins they will come.
This I completely agree with. Saying that fans went home for the weekend because it was 3-day weekend...this isn't Westfield State.

TheOFFSeason
Senior
Posts: 889
Joined: Mon Dec 06, 2010 10:07 pm

Re: Game 25, 2019-20: Dayton (2/15)

Post by TheOFFSeason » Tue Feb 18, 2020 3:40 pm

inthescoop wrote:
Tue Feb 18, 2020 11:37 am
TheInsider wrote:
Mon Feb 17, 2020 5:22 pm
The comparison with Freeman is a good one. Both bigger bodies and under the rim type guys. I think Tre is ahead of Freeman at this point and is gonna score a ton of points.
I also like the comparison of Tre to Izzy Freeman.
I still remember when DK told me they offered him(I had seen him in prep)...and also the next fall when Lou told me he had NBA potential...

Post Reply