Game 22, 2019-20: at Davidson (2/1)

Anything and everything that is UMass Minutemen Basketball.
Juice Stand
Senior

Re: Game 22, 2019-20: at Davidson (2/1)

Post by Juice Stand » Sun Feb 02, 2020 8:39 am

NilesGold wrote:
Sun Feb 02, 2020 7:56 am
m626t wrote:
Sat Feb 01, 2020 9:18 pm
I always thought defense was a matter of effort and it looked like our kids were trying but seemed lost on defense. Did they not recognize what Davidson was running? Were they not prepared by the coaching staff? Where was the in game coaching adjustment? We got torched by a kid from KOREA! Can't wait for the second half.
[UMass coach Matt McCall said he normally can prepare his team for what to expect when opponents run certain plays or are in certain formations. However, there is a level of variability in Davidson’s motion scheme that won’t allow for the Minutemen to know exactly what is coming.

“Normal defensive principles in this game don’t really apply because of their motion, because of how much movement (there is),” McCall said. “As I told our team, you cannot script what’s coming. A lot of teams you play, you can script it; you can say a back screen’s coming here or a pick-and-roll is coming here or they’re doing this. It’s so random in how (Davidson) plays, you’ve got to guard your man, when there’s contact on screens you can switch, but it’s really you’ve got to sit down and guard, you’ve got to be alert.”]

https://www.gazettenet.com/Notebook-UMa ... t-32390503
What's so curious about the whole damn thing is that he seemed to have his team pretty well prepared last year when Davidson was in first place and we beat them at the Mullins. Davidson isn't nearly as good as they were last year, and we're pretty much the same, although with a different roster, so why the stark contrast? Is it a home/road thing, randomness, something else?

PreecherJenkins
Senior

Post by PreecherJenkins » Sun Feb 02, 2020 8:41 am

Juice Stand wrote:
Sun Feb 02, 2020 8:34 am
Thanks Preecher, pretty much what I figured but I was hoping to see it somewhere in a game write-up.
Juice pls know I made up the quotes based on what he has said after other road losses. I don’t read the collegian but to me Walfish has a very hard time being critical of the athletic department. ESP, if it’s Bell, mcccall or Bamford.

Worcester_To_Amherst
Junior

Post by Worcester_To_Amherst » Sun Feb 02, 2020 8:49 am

Big concern with that type of showing is how everyone responds. If they come back tough against URI with their heads up, then I can live with it. As my concern has been all year, I worry about player morale.

Juice Stand
Senior

Post by Juice Stand » Sun Feb 02, 2020 8:55 am

Morale has been my concern as well. We all know this is a rebuilding year, but they have to be building something. Come out with fire in your belly against the big rival school and I'll be impressed. Unfortunately for us, URI is damn good this year and I see another beatdown on the horizon. I hope I'm wrong.

TheOFFSeason
Senior

Post by TheOFFSeason » Sun Feb 02, 2020 8:59 am

TheInsider wrote:
Sun Feb 02, 2020 7:38 am
I though TB was our defensive coach
I believe he brought in his 3 different press sets...I think the half court principles are the same as the last 2 years.

minutefanjsf
Senior

Post by minutefanjsf » Sun Feb 02, 2020 9:04 am

TheOFFSeason wrote:
Sun Feb 02, 2020 8:59 am
TheInsider wrote:
I believe he brought in his 3 different press sets...I think the half court principles are the same as the last 2 years.
I think this is accurate as well. When the HC consistently says the players can’t guard, he neds to look in the mirror and see he is not instructing them how to guard. Playing defense is not an innate ability/skill.

TruBluMaroon
Senior

Post by TruBluMaroon » Sun Feb 02, 2020 9:49 am

minutefanjsf wrote:
Sun Feb 02, 2020 9:04 am
TheOFFSeason wrote:
TheInsider wrote:
I think this is accurate as well. When the HC consistently says the players can’t guard, he neds to look in the mirror and see he is not instructing them how to guard. Playing defense is not an innate ability/skill.
Why wouldn’t the defensive coach be responsible for teaching defensive fundamentals and responsibilities; and not use defensive schemes that does not fit the personnel? FYI, jogging back in transition has never been a successful aspect of a quality defense.
Aside to BillGASox1..... Who is Durant and when did he play?

Berkman
Hall of Fame

Post by Berkman » Sun Feb 02, 2020 9:55 am

Davidson is a much more experienced and taller team. They just came off a 4 OT loss earlier in the week so they were loaded for bear shooting around 75% on 3's in the first half.

Their starting lineup was 6' 3" SR G from Iceland, a 6' 5" FR G from the US, a 6' 3" JR G from the US, a 6' 5" JR G from the US and a 6' 10"F from Austria. They also use a 6' 10" SO G from Denmark, a 6' 8" SO F from England and a 6' 3" SO G from Sweden. These foreign players excel with their 3 point shooting. I am not trying to make excuses for our guys but they were playing a much more experienced taller team. Chalk this one to getting experience playing against this kind of team and hopefully the players and coach learned something from this game.

Going to the women's game at 1 this afternoon. They were at the game last night and hope they saw what they might expect this afternoon.

Floyd
Hall of Fame

Post by Floyd » Sun Feb 02, 2020 10:01 am

Berkie, no disrespect, but height had nothing to do with anything. Our starting 5 was very similiar, as is our bench. Just got outplayed
The E sho, best show in town

Carl Spackler
Junior

Post by Carl Spackler » Sun Feb 02, 2020 10:39 am

Agree Floyd, height, country of origin and experience were irrelevant in my opinion....you can’t beat any one with that defensive effort and execution.

minutefanjsf
Senior

Post by minutefanjsf » Sun Feb 02, 2020 10:47 am

TruBluMaroon wrote:
Sun Feb 02, 2020 9:49 am
minutefanjsf wrote:
Sun Feb 02, 2020 9:04 am
TheOFFSeason wrote:

Why wouldn’t the defensive coach be responsible for teaching defensive fundamentals and responsibilities; and not use defensive schemes that does not fit the personnel? FYI, jogging back in transition has never been a successful aspect of a quality defense.
Aside to BillGASox1..... Who is Durant and when did he play?
Most hoops teams do not have coordinators. TB is not a defensive coordinator. The positioning (floor spacing, help, as well as individual head to head) and failure to read what is happening on the floor would be part of the drills designed by the HC IMO. When the HC says in postgame or in game comments that the players can’t guard, that is ridiculous. It is his job to teach them how to guard. If there are matchup issues where a particular offensive player leads to special instructions for a defensive scheme or to a specific player, like for example try to force Tre to his right, he’s strong going left, that’s also on the HC. If they are jogging back in transition, it's the HC coach’s job to pull them out of game and get players in who will hustle. In college hoops the HC is where the buck stops.

Quann
Senior

Post by Quann » Sun Feb 02, 2020 11:00 am

Juice Stand wrote:
Sun Feb 02, 2020 8:55 am
Morale has been my concern as well. We all know this is a rebuilding year, but they have to be building something. Come out with fire in your belly against the big rival school and I'll be impressed. Unfortunately for us, URI is damn good this year and I see another beatdown on the horizon. I hope I'm wrong.
Nope, you’re dead on. The road performances are embarrassing and fall squarely on the head coach. Davidson is not that good.

bmc24
Junior

Post by bmc24 » Sun Feb 02, 2020 11:06 am

Juice Stand wrote:
Sun Feb 02, 2020 8:39 am
NilesGold wrote:
Sun Feb 02, 2020 7:56 am
m626t wrote:
Sat Feb 01, 2020 9:18 pm
I always thought defense was a matter of effort and it looked like our kids were trying but seemed lost on defense. Did they not recognize what Davidson was running? Were they not prepared by the coaching staff? Where was the in game coaching adjustment? We got torched by a kid from KOREA! Can't wait for the second half.
[UMass coach Matt McCall said he normally can prepare his team for what to expect when opponents run certain plays or are in certain formations. However, there is a level of variability in Davidson’s motion scheme that won’t allow for the Minutemen to know exactly what is coming.

“Normal defensive principles in this game don’t really apply because of their motion, because of how much movement (there is),” McCall said. “As I told our team, you cannot script what’s coming. A lot of teams you play, you can script it; you can say a back screen’s coming here or a pick-and-roll is coming here or they’re doing this. It’s so random in how (Davidson) plays, you’ve got to guard your man, when there’s contact on screens you can switch, but it’s really you’ve got to sit down and guard, you’ve got to be alert.”]

https://www.gazettenet.com/Notebook-UMa ... t-32390503
What's so curious about the whole damn thing is that he seemed to have his team pretty well prepared last year when Davidson was in first place and we beat them at the Mullins. Davidson isn't nearly as good as they were last year, and we're pretty much the same, although with a different roster, so why the stark contrast? Is it a home/road thing, randomness, something else?
Juice, GP. It’s not like nobody has cracked the Davidson but this year..... they have 10 losses. I attribute yesterday to umass being overwhelmed by a team who executed their game plan to a t. And shot the ball outside of their arses.

McCall did the right thing switching to that zone as they could not guard the motion offense. We defended that motion about as poorly as you can. Even though they hit the first few shots against the zone, I think the zone would have allowed the team to get more connected and could have potentially stopped the bleeding a bit.

eldonabe
Hall of Fame

Post by eldonabe » Sun Feb 02, 2020 11:25 am

bmc24 wrote:
Sun Feb 02, 2020 11:06 am
Juice, GP. It’s not like nobody has cracked the Davidson but this year..... they have 10 losses. I attribute yesterday to umass being overwhelmed by a team who executed their game plan to a t. And shot the ball outside of their arses.

McCall did the right thing switching to that zone as they could not guard the motion offense. We defended that motion about as poorly as you can. Even though they hit the first few shots against the zone, I think the zone would have allowed the team to get more connected and could have potentially stopped the bleeding a bit.
There will be no defending MM on this site sir! He is a bad coach, or did you not hear?

Bergeron is the Savior....... Hail Tony...... Hail Tony!
In Matt McCall I trust!

Tman1319
Junior

Post by Tman1319 » Sun Feb 02, 2020 12:16 pm

eldonabe wrote:
Sun Feb 02, 2020 11:25 am
bmc24 wrote:
Sun Feb 02, 2020 11:06 am

There will be no defending MM on this site sir! He is a bad coach, or did you not hear?

Bergeron is the Savior....... Hail Tony...... Hail Tony!
Eldon, it is funny that your hate for DK was so strong, you have painted yourself into the smallest of corners. Many of your reasons to support one coach over the other are hypocritical at best.

You keep saying DK should have been fired after year 3 because he was terrible, where has MM been any better than those three years?

MM should be given extra years because he changed out his staff, but DK should have been fired after getting rid of wahlberg.

Is the reason you choose to keep saying year 3 is because DK had success after that and it hurts you to admit it? Yes, Chaz was the biggest reason for that, but he ended up here. Just like MM deserves credit for getting the Bergeron guys here.

Your hate for DK is so strong, you act like the UMass fan base should be embarrassed for the 13-14 season. One that saw us make the tournament the only time is the last how many years? Yes, that shellacking stunk on the opening Friday of the tournament, but that Tennessee team was loaded with some talent (3 NBA draft picks - so maybe they were poorly coached, but were able to use the disrespect card of playing in the first 4 as a motivator).

DK’s time was definitely up, and he probably should have been let go prior to that, but that should have nothing to do with MM and how he is discussed here. So far MM has shown me close to nothing in his ability to have his teams prepared and motivated. He might provide better interview answers than DK, but it looks like he has an inability to teach the fundamentals needed.

Does MM deserve a 4th year? Of course. Any coach outside of Molnar deserves 4 years. Maybe MM makes a huge leap in his ability to put the players in the best position...or maybe the talent of the team covers some of the weaknesses of MM’s coaching (chaz and DK anyone)? I just hope it gets figured out and in a few years I can actively talk about UMass with non UMass b-ball fans again.

Eldon, let DK go! Or not, I enjoy the hypocrisy as well.