Tony Bergeron

Anything and everything that is UMass Minutemen Basketball.
eldonabe
Hall of Fame

Re: Tony Bergeron

Post by eldonabe » Fri Jan 31, 2020 8:15 am

TheInsider wrote: Fri Jan 31, 2020 7:12 am It's not like TB is the first AAU/Prep coach ever to be hired for recruiting connections. It's a smart move.. after all it's about talent on the floor.. DK made it to the NCAA not because hes a fantastic college coach, he made it because he had superior talent on the floor.
HS/Prep coaches are elevated to college coaching rosters ALL THE TIME to aide in bringing recruits. It really is OK to give the head coach credit for that, really.....

I am critical of MM too, but it has to be reasonable and credit should be given when it is due. Most of you LOOOOVVVVEEEED DK and he got excuse after excuse and somehow got 9 year out of us when he should have been long gone after 3. He was absolutely a bad coach and, frankly, the best and worst thing that happened to him was Chaz. Chaz made him "appear" to be a good coach for two or three years and got him a fat paycheck for it. Unfortunately, when Chaz left DK returned quickly to Pre-Chaz and was exposed for the fraud he was as an HC [at the a-10 level].

That said - I did give DK credit for two significant things; Shit-canning Vance (even though it was not really his decision), and getting Chaz here. He has had flashes of above average basketball intelligence, but a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while.

MM has this team sticking together and growing - regardless of how much Bergeron has in this process, it it still MM's team and he deserves credit for this. Maybe Bergeron gets the job down the road, but it is not his job yet. We can only hope the he gets the job because MM elevates rather than crashes.

uz2b-len
Hall of Fame

Post by uz2b-len » Fri Jan 31, 2020 8:24 am

JoleonLescottsHair wrote: Fri Jan 31, 2020 7:58 am It is absolutely your right. And whether I like McCall or not is besides the point. I certainly don’t like his W/L record to date and I have at times been both positive and critical of him. Rather what I am choosing to highlight is the CLEAR intellectual dishonesty of some of his sharpest critics here, including you. Others have managed to express their negative opinions of his coaching without demonstrating hypocrisy or what appears to be a longstanding personal edge to their comments.
We're not here to judge each other. We're here to talk about UMass hoops.
"All credit to my teammates, all glory to God."-- Chaz Williams

vanmeter
Hall of Fame

Post by vanmeter » Fri Jan 31, 2020 8:33 am

JoLeon
I am not going to get into a war of words with you today.
I really like what Bergeron has brought to the program and give credit to McCall for hiring him. That was the premise of my original post.
I do not think McCall is a good head coach. My opinion - and everyone is entitled to their own opinion. I go to as many games as I can 15 or so win or lose.

eldonabe
Hall of Fame

Post by eldonabe » Fri Jan 31, 2020 8:55 am

vanmeter wrote: Fri Jan 31, 2020 8:33 am JoLeon
I am not going to get into a war of words with you today.
I really like what Bergeron has brought to the program and give credit to McCall for hiring him. That was the premise of my original post.
I do not think McCall is a good head coach. My opinion - and everyone is entitled to their own opinion. I go to as many games as I can 15 or so win or lose.

I think you missed his point Van, where was TB criticism when they got schelacked against GW? That was all dumped on MM, but when they showed some sparks of life against the Dukes and Joe's - TB got the credit for that and MM was barely an afterthought.

You simply cannot have your cake and eat it too - as they say.

vanmeter
Hall of Fame

Post by vanmeter » Fri Jan 31, 2020 9:14 am

For me Eldon,

In the last 2 games I have seen a player, Preston Santos, show real promise. He has shown good decision making and strong rebounding. In the last game Walker showed himself to be a force that we were all hoping for. Perhaps I am making a lot over something that may not be there, but if both Santos and Walker continue to impress it gives me optimism for the future. Before these past 2 games their contributions were limited. Both players played for Bergeron (along with Weeks and Tre Mitchell) thus the shout out to Bergeron.

I will give McCall credit for going to a 3 forward/center lineup as well. This has given both Santos and Walker extended playing time.

I am not expecting a record breaking run the rest of the season but, at least, with many players returning - including Weeks, it gives optimism to the future.

eldonabe
Hall of Fame

Post by eldonabe » Fri Jan 31, 2020 9:21 am

vanmeter wrote: Fri Jan 31, 2020 9:14 am For me Eldon,

In the last 2 games I have seen a player, Preston Santos, show real promise. He has shown good decision making and strong rebounding. In the last game Walker showed himself to be a force that we were all hoping for. Perhaps I am making a lot over something that may not be there, but if both Santos and Walker continue to impress it gives me optimism for the future. Before these past 2 games their contributions were limited. Both players played for Bergeron (along with Weeks and Tre Mitchell) thus the shout out to Bergeron.

I will give McCall credit for going to a 3 forward/center lineup as well. This has given both Santos and Walker extended playing time.

I am not expecting a record breaking run the rest of the season but, at least, with many players returning - including Weeks, it gives optimism to the future.

Reasonable........

JoleonLescottsHair
Hall of Fame

Post by JoleonLescottsHair » Fri Jan 31, 2020 9:21 am

vanmeter wrote: Fri Jan 31, 2020 8:33 am That was the premise of my original post.
Or not.

TheInsider
Hall of Fame

Post by TheInsider » Fri Jan 31, 2020 9:59 am

I agree MM needs to grow as a coach. But let's give him credit for recognizing the mistakes he has made with the transfers ( I dont really blame him, he was hired so late he had no options). He also did something DK said he was going to do but never did. While DK was promoting guys that were water boys on their HS teams, MM took a hard look at his program with the help of the AD. MM made the changes DK would never make. MM went out and got a new competent staff. Like I said before I think MM needs to get better but at least hes doing things to improve the program.

Roadtrip
Hall of Fame

Post by Roadtrip » Fri Jan 31, 2020 10:26 am

I think McCall is getting better as a coach in some ways. For awhile there it looked like he would be just as obstinate as DK.

MJatUM
Hall of Fame

Post by MJatUM » Fri Jan 31, 2020 12:27 pm

I think the biggest weakness for McCall is his in-game coaching. I have no doubt he can draw up a play or offensive sets until his fingers bleed. I just think at times he gets either too consumed by the game or "panics" and makes a move because he thinks he has to. Having never coached at any truly competitive level I am admitting this is 1000% an "armchair" opinion. The only way to get better at that is through experience. Perhaps some have a knack for it and can start further along, I don't know. I do know he had to fire his very good friend and best man at his wedding because it was the right move for the program. MANY coaches would not do that and call it disloyal or anything you want, but it was an extremely pro-UMass move.

And that is my Matt McCall post in the Tony Bergeron thread.

My Tony Bergeron comment: I absolutely LOVED every second of him dunking on Walfish's head on Twitter.

LS71
Hall of Fame

Post by LS71 » Fri Jan 31, 2020 1:52 pm

My TB comment-love the way he dresses....that and the guys he's brought to the program.

Those shoes he had on Wednesday night were awesome! 8)
"Win without boasting, lose without crying." -- Julius Erving

vanmeter
Hall of Fame

Post by vanmeter » Fri Jan 31, 2020 2:52 pm

I don't know about TB's attire. My son loves it - which would make me question it. lol

Black suit with bright red shirt this past Wednesday.

69MG
Hall of Fame

Post by 69MG » Fri Jan 31, 2020 3:07 pm

^ I don't care what he wears if he can bring us a couple of more studs. Femi and a "big" would be nice. I must admit that I like his clothes just because they are different from the norm.

Marty Peretz
Hall of Fame

Post by Marty Peretz » Fri Jan 31, 2020 4:41 pm

His blazer game is impeccable. His tie game needs a lot of work. Needs to be belt level.

m626t
Hall of Fame

Post by m626t » Fri Jan 31, 2020 5:21 pm

Marty Peretz wrote: Fri Jan 31, 2020 4:41 pm His blazer game is impeccable. His tie game needs a lot of work. Needs to be belt level.
My seats do not allow a good look at his tie...I'm hoping he features a full Windsor knot rather than simply tossing one end over the other prior to the under loop, like most rubes . :)
All due respect, and I mean that from the bottom of my heart, I'm gonna pass.